“Not what they used to be”
Review of La Madeleine

La Madeleine
Ranked #1,355 of 3,872 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I have gone to different locations of La Madeleine over many years. Their prices seem a little high for the food they serve and the quality seems to have done down a bit. They do have a private room that accommodates a small party if desired. I attended a party there recently for a retirement or I probably would not have returned.

2  Thank Travel78746

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice, quick dinner before a movie. Tomato basil soup tasty. Broiled chicken wel l seasoned, nice wild rice and steamed broccoli. Pleasant atmosphere. Good value.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Nothing really special about the atmosphere. But they have authentic danish and fresh croissants; and my favorite Eggs Benedict Parisien, which is two poached eggs on toasted and split croissant, with thin sliced ham and bacon, topped with hollandaise sauce. They also have french style hash brown cakes called Potato Galettes. I love them. Nice place for couples. Not a dark romantic place (although we've only ever gone for breakfast, so I really don't know what the evening atmosphere is like). It is a little pricey. But I enjoy the food, and don't mind occasionally paying a little extra for the good food.

You place your order at a cafeteria style line, take a wooden spoon on a base, with a number or letter on it. They then bring your food to your table when it is ready.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The other morning I was running errands & decided to get a plain croissant to go from here. Unfortunately, I didn't start eating it till I was well down the road. Otherwise I would have gone back & demanded to talk to the manager. What entered my mouth was a bite of hard, cold, greasy cardboard. Something from a chain store bakery would have been worlds better. I'd heard that this chain is going downhill & now I believe it. Presumably they bake in the mornings, so there was no excuse for the nastiness of the croissant I had (bought it at 9:30 a.m.) Next time I'll just heat up a Sara Lee from the freezer & be grateful.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

My wife and like to try local eaterys but we also find that La Madeleine can not be beat, whether its breakfast, lunch or dinner very good selection and quality. Of course the fresh bread and pastries to take is a must. You will not go away unstaisfied.

Been to La Madeleine? Share your experiences!