“First time in 20 years - We were disappointed”
Review of Satay Restaurant

Satay Restaurant
Ranked #1,457 of 3,871 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Shoalcreek
Transit: SATAY is within walking distance a few blocks away from the Public transit station behind Northcross Mall.
Description: SATAY has been an Austin tradition for 25 years with several Zagat -rated and local awards. We offer fine Thai cuisine and special menu items from countries surrounding the South China Seas with gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan menu options. Our MSG free cooking and great tasting food have made us a favorite and an Austin landmark. SATAY Restaurant was founded in 1987 by renowned chef and food scientist, Dr Foo Swasdee. Our focuses are using fresh, homegrown organic herbs, sustainable/local ingredients for recipes created by Chef Dr. Foo with nutrition concepts in mind. Seasonal menus offer dishes specially designed to give the healthiest options for weather changes. Examples are slow-cooked dishes such as Star-War, Dual Beef Panang, Thai Gumbo, or our famous GET WELL SOUPS. We offers a full bar, banquet room for private party and business meetings, a tropical patio and an experience of culture, music and cuisine all at once.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We arrived @ 1:00 PM. Not very full. The owner greeted us warmly. She sat us, we talked about the new decor, she told us they were going to be shown on the Food Channel. We were happy and congratulated her. We had always enjoyed eating here.
Our day went downhill from there. After 15 minutes, no one came to take our drink order. Finally I flagged someone down (everyone seemed to be avoiding eye contact). We gave them our food order at the same time, concerned about the service. My kids were hungry. Cut to the chase...after several visits to our table to tell us our food was coming...still no food. At one point our server asked us if we still wanted our meals? I said where will I go at this point?...I couldn't subject my family to another wait in another restaurant. I finally went to the front of the house to complain that we had been there OVER AN HOUR and my kids were starving. The owner was surprised to hear this, asked where we were sitting. I said...over at that table, where you sat us over an hour ago. She seemed completely surprised and asked someone else what was going on? I don't speak Thai but I'm pretty sure that's what she said. She assured us that our food would be forthcoming. It was at least 20 more minutes until our entrees arrived. I should say three of our 4 entrees arrived. It was almost 10 more minutes before the last one got to the table. By now one child was really upset. Once the food arrived the server and the owner came to the table and tried to explain that the wrong code was entered into the computer. I said that I didn't want explanations...their mistakes should not impact us, the customer. They offered to comp a dessert, which we accepted but asked for in a To Go box. When we left, in was two minutes shy of 2 hours...for lunch! We may return in the future, because the food is pretty good but it won't be for a long time I guarantee. Let me re-iterate, it was our 1st problem in 20 years...but it was a doozy!

4  Thank NYBUD

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this restaurant. Being vegan, it's always nice to go someplace that is not a "vegan" restaurant but is happy to oblige your needs. The waiter was very helpful telling us about the Chef and how particular she is about the food and giving the customers what they want. They have a full bar, excellent menu that can be tailored to your needs and it has a nice ambiance. The times I've gone it has never been too busy, which I guess is a good thing. The spiciness of the food is less than "traditional" Thai, which is fine. The desserts are great. There is a patio for cool summer evenings. It is in a mall which gives one a view of the parking lot, which would be it's only drawback.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Very good food with a grest presentation. It only slightly misses the mark. The satay skewers had generous portions and although delicious they were not grilled as is traditional throughout Indonesia. The peanut sauce was completely amazing. Overall, a delightful culinary experience. The Nasi Goreng was perfectly delightful. In Indonesia, there are numerous takes on this dish. And my dining companion and I delighted in the flavors of Indonesia.

1  Thank RobertWorldWanderer
Reviewed August 23, 2013

The food at Satay was very good, there were so many great options on the menu - it was hard to choose. There are also plenty of vegan options, including a delicious chocolate pie! The owners were really nice and gave personal attention.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We read the review from a credit card dinner club, so we went, first the place is nice and comfortable .clean, nice waiters, but a bit hot inside the air conditioner was not cooling sown well, we order the fixed menu of 3 different dishes, I think one of the dishes was full of flavor and more spice, the other where not that taste, so i do not going back there, to hot to dine and with spice food was a not nice experience

Been to Satay Restaurant? Share your experiences!