“Afternoon Delight”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Shoalcreek
Transit: SATAY is within walking distance a few blocks away from the Public transit station behind Northcross Mall.
Description: SATAY has been an Austin tradition for 25 years with several Zagat -rated and local awards. We offer fine Thai cuisine and special menu items from countries surrounding the South China Seas with gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan menu options. Our MSG free cooking and great tasting food have made us a favorite and an Austin landmark. SATAY Restaurant was founded in 1987 by renowned chef and food scientist, Dr Foo Swasdee. Our focuses are using fresh, homegrown organic herbs, sustainable/local ingredients for recipes created by Chef Dr. Foo with nutrition concepts in mind. Seasonal menus offer dishes specially designed to give the healthiest options for weather changes. Examples are slow-cooked dishes such as Star-War, Dual Beef Panang, Thai Gumbo, or our famous GET WELL SOUPS. We offers a full bar, banquet room for private party and business meetings, a tropical patio and an experience of culture, music and cuisine all at once.
Reviewed October 5, 2012

On a blazing hot August afternoon, a friend and I were hungry for something tasty. It was too late for lunch and too early for dinner -- according to most restaurants' timetables. I've always loved Satay, so we popped in there. Satay is usually serene, even when full, but we were the only customers at about 3PM. We split an order of the always-delicious Soft Spring Rolls with shrimp, plus an appetizer I had never tried: "Miang Khum: Six individual spinach wraps with bits of fresh ginger, garlic, whole lime, red onion, roasted peanuts and coconut. Served with SATAY’s Coconut Salsa." THE best thing for a hot day -- or any day. Refreshing! The combination of flavors and textures was amazing. I might even go there again some afternoon, just for those two, and make a meal of it!!! I also had a vegetable curry dish that was jusssst the right level of "hot" for me, thanks to the attention of our waiter. The leftovers were just as yummy the next day.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This place has truly authentic Thai food that is fresh, crisply tangy with just the right amount of heat, and a nice variety. Service was prompt, and surprisingly, the martinis were perfect. Lots of soups and other appetizers. My favorite dish is steamed red fish wrapped in a banana leaf, but last night we tried other main courses, and both were outstanding. I'm not a sweets eater, but this is one place with an exception - the silk chocolate pie. They make it out of tofu and chocolate, mixed up in the kitchen. It is SO GOOD. Not sweet, just smooth chocolate. Highly recommended, I know of no other place that makes it. Enjoy!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Satay serves primarily Thai food, but also features some dishes from surrounding countries.

The owner of the restaurant Foo is a fabulous person and a real personality.

The restaurant itself has character and is nicely decorated. They also have a private event room for parties, private meals, etc. Compared to other Thai restaurants in town, the noise level in the dining room is much lower.

The food is superb - fresh and tasty. While there is lots of food for carnivores, there is also a good selection of dishes for vegetarians.

They also make a line of their own sauces which you can buy at the restaurant or find in gourmet stores.

Whenever we want a

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Repeated visits have always delighted. I tend to love one dish (Tiger Cry) and count on my wife to try different dishes that I can sample. Have really enjoyed them all--even soup that I rarely order except here. Excellent wait service and a phenomenal owner.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

You enter this Thai restaurant through a garden/patio; you can dine inside (more formal and quiet) or outside. We had a Pad Thai Chicken and a Bataan Delight; both were very good and with an excellent service.

Been to Satay Restaurant? Share your experiences!