“A step above olive garden but it's forgettable.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Buca di Beppo
Ranked #647 of 3,668 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Mopac Access Road
Transit: Capitol Metro bus stops at Tudor Boulevard and at Hyatt Place.
“A step above olive garden but it's forgettable.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

The food was not bad. But certainly not anything I would be in hurry back to eat.
Food was very heavy and just lacks that fresh made taste. Sort of like eating a decent frozen lasagna if your starved:-|
If your hungry and craving Italian dishes, it suffices.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Austin, Texas
“fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

even though its overpriced for its food, its still a fun family place to gather and eat..still love their lemon chicken and pizza!

Visited February 2012
Lexington, South Carolina
“A Welcomed surprise while traveling!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

The restaurant was conveniently next door to the Hyatt Place, and I'd heard wonderful reviews, but there is not one close to home. So I had a chance to eat here, and I wasn't disappointed!!! The food was great...reminded me of good, simple, Italian food of NY/NJ!! The servings of "family style" even worked for only 2 of us; we shared a wonderful salad and lasagna...and had leftovers that we reheated at the hotel! The fun decorations and a very, very good waitress made it a great meal! Can't wait til I can "find" another Buca!!!

Visited July 2012
Austin, Texas
“Family style Italian food fun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

Fun to eat family style and decent Italian for Texas

Visited May 2012
Tampa, Florida
“Decent Italian (but I'm spoiled)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Hailing from the Baltimore area where we have D.C. and Baltimore's Little Italy, I have been spoiled in my lifetime with true, authentic, family-owned Italian restaurants. Buca di Beppo was pretty good for a business dinner but probably not a place I would return to. They do offer a table INSIDE the kitchen which is such a cool idea, so I might return if I could sit there.

We ordered some appetizers for the table, one of which was bruschetta which is traditionally served on crostini (thin sliced and toasted bread). The tomato/onion mixture is supposed to be a small dice (to fit on the small bread). Buca's version is very THICK italian garlic bread (like Texas Toast I guess?) and the tomatoes chopped on top were huge chunks, not a small dice at all. There was no onion, basil, garlic to speak of (other than the buttery garlic on the bread). And it was impossible to eat. As soon as you took a bite, the tomato all rolls off the top of the bread. It was not very good, and kind of a waste. Not to mention, the huge bread defeats the purpose of an appetizer. You could really get too full just eating 2 of these.

The fried calimari was OK, you can't really mess that one up.

The entrees were (again) decent. The veggie pizza looked better than it tasted due to a pretty soggy crust. Again, difficult to eat without a fork and knife. The eggplant parm was pretty good, a nice toasty crust on the eggplant and not too much sauce which I really like. Sometimes places can drench the eggplant in too much sauce or cheese which detracts from the star of the dish. The Frutti del Mare looked good, but I didn't get to taste that one (being from the East Coast, I don't really trust seafood from the interior of the US :)))). I don't eat much meat these days so I didn't bother with the spaghetti and meat sauce "side dish" they brought. The side dish was a trough of noodles and sauce that could have served a family of 8.

We did have good service. Attentive and regularly visited by the waitress but not overly pushy which is a hard balance with a big group dinner like we had.

Visited May 2012