“Cajun food in a neighborhood setting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Evangeline Cafe

Evangeline Cafe
Ranked #99 of 3,668 Restaurants in Austin
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Peyton, Colorado
“Cajun food in a neighborhood setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

Evangeline Cafe has great cajun food an great value. The restaurant has neighborhood feeling. Live music, great food and cold beers.

Chef/owner Curtis Clarke made me feel right at home and welcome even though I am an out of town business traveler. I will recommend Evangeline Cafe to anyone visiting or living in the Austin TX area.

• Visited April 2014

North Padre Island, Texas
“good but not outstanding”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

My wife and I ate the frog legs, boudin, and a crawfish pasta dish. Overall the food was good, out of these the frog legs were my clear favorite. The pasta was bland and the boudin was primarily rice, we get boudin direct from Louisiana so I may be a little spoiled. For cajun food there wasn't as much spice/flavor as I am accustomed to. Our server and the other employees were all very friendly and attentive. It's pretty cramped inside but there are some tables outside when the weather is nice which would be more pleasant. Neat little place and I have a feeling we didn't pick their best dishes, next time I will ask the server for recommendations if we return.

• Visited May 2014
Austin, Texas
“Mixed Results”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

We started with a delicious boudan appetizer. This was followed by seafood gumbo. The gumbo was made with a great smokey roue. For almost $9 for a small bowl, I expected it to be full of seafood but it wasn't, The fish poorboy was good. The menu said that the French bread was made in house. It was good bread but lacked the crustiness of true French bread . The muffelatta was stuffed with cold cuts and cheese but the oyster and crawfish poorboys were on the skimpy side We were there on a Saturday night and the place was full. We lived in New Orleans for 35 years and I miss the food so I will give Evangeline another try. I stretched to give them a four rating but it was better than a three (maybe 3.5)I

• Visited March 2014
Rhode Island
“Cajun food lover from the East”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I recently was in Austin, visiting a friend, who has lived there her whole life. I'm a Yankee from the Eastern part of the USA, who happens to love Cajun/Creole food. There is just no place to get it here. I asked if we could try some spicy Cajun/Creole food during my visit and she took me to Evangeline's. I knew it was going to be good because my friend has never taken me to a bad restaurant anywhere in Austin. I just didn't expect it to be as good as it was. We ordered a mixture of a few things that she wanted me to try: fried pickles; yuck, I thought, but they were delicious, Po-boy; my first one ever and really good, Gumbo; this is what I really wanted to taste, authentic Gumbo! Spicey hot and delicious and lastly, Etuefee; WOW!! Was that a surprise. Never heard of it, but I'm going to try making it myself because we don't get these foods in New England. So, I can't wait to go back to TX and Evangeline's. It doesn't look like much from the outside on this little strip mall, but inside is loaded with character and atmosphere. Wear your boots and your jeans and you'll be happy you did. Enjoy!!

• Visited March 2014
Waco, Texas
“Best place in Austin to eat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

My husband and I went to Austin for a quick anniversary get away. We wanted to find a mom and pop style places to eat and I researched the places and this is what we chose.
The Cajun food was the best we had in a long time.
My hubby went for the platter and he ate every bite. He told me over and over again the crab cake was out of the this world.
I had the gold band. This is suppose to be a hot spicy dish. They did make it mild for me and I thought I could ate another bowl even though I was stuffed to the gills.
We highly recommend eating here.

Visited February 2014