“Cajun food lover from the East”
Review of Evangeline Cafe

Evangeline Cafe
Ranked #199 of 3,853 Restaurants in Austin
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I recently was in Austin, visiting a friend, who has lived there her whole life. I'm a Yankee from the Eastern part of the USA, who happens to love Cajun/Creole food. There is just no place to get it here. I asked if we could try some spicy Cajun/Creole food during my visit and she took me to Evangeline's. I knew it was going to be good because my friend has never taken me to a bad restaurant anywhere in Austin. I just didn't expect it to be as good as it was. We ordered a mixture of a few things that she wanted me to try: fried pickles; yuck, I thought, but they were delicious, Po-boy; my first one ever and really good, Gumbo; this is what I really wanted to taste, authentic Gumbo! Spicey hot and delicious and lastly, Etuefee; WOW!! Was that a surprise. Never heard of it, but I'm going to try making it myself because we don't get these foods in New England. So, I can't wait to go back to TX and Evangeline's. It doesn't look like much from the outside on this little strip mall, but inside is loaded with character and atmosphere. Wear your boots and your jeans and you'll be happy you did. Enjoy!!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

My husband and I went to Austin for a quick anniversary get away. We wanted to find a mom and pop style places to eat and I researched the places and this is what we chose.
The Cajun food was the best we had in a long time.
My hubby went for the platter and he ate every bite. He told me over and over again the crab cake was out of the this world.
I had the gold band. This is suppose to be a hot spicy dish. They did make it mild for me and I thought I could ate another bowl even though I was stuffed to the gills.
We highly recommend eating here.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stopped for a late lunch at 2:55 pm on a Saturday. Their lunch special runs until 3:00 pm. By the time we perused the menu it was after 3:00. I asked if the lunch special was still available and was told yes. What a pleasant surprise! Most places cut you off the minute the time period expires. There was four of us and we all ordered something different. All the food was fresh and very tasty. I had the fried catfish poboy with redbeans and rice. It was a great bargain for $7.99. The place is very eclectic and casual. The waitstaff was very good.

1  Thank Georgetown78626
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I've been here many, many times for the food, beer, and music. It's laid back, fun, and I've always had great food. The proprietor is from Lake Charles, LA and he does Cajun food right. You're likely to happen upon good music most nights f the week. It's worth the trip down Brodie for a cold Abita and a po'boy ..or jambalaya, étouffée, or any number of other things.

1  Thank sethreaux
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The chaos of New Orleans and the weirdness of Austin with good solid Cajun cooking. What's not to like? The only downside is that it is located in an unlikely spot in a strip mall. Eat inside and get over it.