“Cajun in south Austin”
Review of Evangeline Cafe

Evangeline Cafe
Ranked #106 of 3,699 Restaurants in Austin
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Marcos, TX
“Cajun in south Austin”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I've heard about this place for years. It is highly recommended by people who like good Cajun food. Having had experience elsewhere (see my review of De Happy Cajun) as well as a former fiancée who was purebred Cajun, I feel I have a good sense of Cajun. This place comes closer than the wannabees who just serve one or two Cajun style dishes that I have tried. On my first visit I stayed in the appetizer column, because there were several I wanted to try. The chicken and sausage gumbo was passable. The gator bites were excellent. And for only the second time in my 50 some years, I tried frog legs. My vague memory of the first time was it tasted like muddy chicken. This time was much much better. A bit too much fried chicken coating, but still a very pleasant taste. Gotta go back soon to sample the entrees.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank WinthropJQuiggy

Phoenix, Arizona
“Best PoBoys”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Terrific local stop with a great menu and wonderful food. Friendly service, too. Owner is from Louisiana and brought his cajun creativity to this Austin cafe. Best beef poboy sandwich I've ever had. My friend had the shrimp poboy and loved it too. Lots of other Louisiana choices on the menu. Its a little bit off the beaten track from the heart of Austin, but well worth a little drive. Live music offered, too!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank twangthang
Austin, Texas
“Down home cajun in South Austin”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Middle of week birthday dinner so I knew where I wanted to go-Evangeline Cafe. Wonderful selections of cajun food in a cozy atmosphere with live accordion cajun music and wonderful attentive staff - what more could you want. Perfect for that "wanna go somewhere different and good" feeling. Good gumbo, boudin; good everything! And then as a birthday treat they brought out a pecan pistolette-Wow. The only bad thing was I had to share it with my wife. We will be back soon.

• Visited October 2013
Austin
“Cajun food in South Austin”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I were in south Austin so we took the opportunity to try Evangeline Cafe, where I had previously had a po-boy takeout.

We arrived about 7:30 on a Thursday evening to a full restaurant, with a small jazz group in the corner. We decided to take one of the tables available outside on the sidewalk (this in the middle of a strip shopping center) since the evening was not too hot and a nice breeze was available.

We started with an appetizer portion of boudin which was nice and spicy, and had a nice richness to it. It was quite comparable to the boudin I have had in Baton Rouge, and was a nice start for our meal.

For our entree, I had the large chicken fried steak, and my wife had one of the salad offerings, an avocado stuffed with shrimp salad (which she loved - and didn't share!). My CFS was a very large portion, and instead of being topped with white cream gravy, this was topped with the house's Evangeline sauce, which gave the CFS a hint of cajun. Delicious. My serving was so large that I shared several bites with my wife, ate until I was pleasantly full, and still ended up taking almost half of the serving home (for lunch today).

From our perspective we could see just how many folks come to the restaurant. Although we were beyond normal 'family time' dining on a school night, there were still a few children in the mix that spanned three generations.

Wish they were open on Sunday, but glad we had this opportunity to visit Evangeline Cafe and enjoy the great food.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank k5tm
“Yummy!!! 😎”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

They serve amazing food & service & entertainment. I would go back again. Their dessert is soo yummy!!!

• Visited August 2013