“The best Asian food I've eaten in Austin”
Review of 888 Vietnamese Restaurant - CLOSED

888 Vietnamese Restaurant
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: South Austin
Austin, Texas
“The best Asian food I've eaten in Austin”
Reviewed December 19, 2008

I don't know how I've lived in Austin for so long and somehow just now got around to eating at 888. I think it's because of it's unassuming location...in a strip mall, on East Oltorf.
I had the tofu spring rolls, which were quite large, fresh, and very good. I honestly don't remember what the dish I had for an entree was called, but I usually get something similar to Buddha's Delight.Too often at other restaurants it's a forgettable mix of bland carrots, broccoli, and water chestnuts in an even more bland brown sauce, and no tofu, (or bland tofu that's not cooked properly). 888's version had great tofu, and the absolute BEST mix of fresh vegetables I've ever eaten in Asian cuisine, with a flavorful brown sauce.
The date I was with eats meat and was equally satisfied with his crab Rangoons and carnivorous entree (I was too busy being in foodie heaven to notice the names of our dishes!).
The only thing that leaves something to be desired is the ambiance and atmosphere. I went around the Holidays, and there were tacky Christmas decorations with a fake tree, and REALLY bad modern pop and Spanish versions of Christmas carols playing a little too loudly. Our server was also forgettable. However, the quality and price of the food ABSOLUTELY makes 888 worth a trip! I can't wait to go back!!!

San Antonio, Texas
“Superb and Flavorful”
Reviewed October 4, 2008

Friendly and helpful waitstaff serve tasty, authentic and flavorful Vietnamese and Thai dishes. The curries are just like eating in Thailand and the lemongrass dishes are simply to die for. Affordable and healthful eating!

1 Thank kipukatrading
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Some of the best pho in...”
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Some of the best pho in town. Their broth is amazing. Spring rolls aren't the best, but if you get the pho, add steamed veggies. It ups the nutritional value of the whole soup.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“They seem to go through...”
Reviewed January 27, 2008

They seem to go through some changes every couple of months! but all for the better! the staff is helpful and the FOOD very very YUMMMY! the shrimp hotpot is amazing! as well at the Sizzling Lemon Grass with Shrimp!!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Austin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Asian Restaurant in Austin”
Reviewed December 2, 2007

this is the best pan asian cusine I ever have. Check it out

1 Thank dbmaster