“Best Asian food I've had in Austin” 5 of 5 bubbles

888 Vietnamese Restaurant
Ranked #317 of 3,668 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: South Austin
Palmetto, Florida
“Best Asian food I've had in Austin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Seems to have all the standard Vietnamese dishes, but it also has other Asian fare. I had the green curry and it was a bigger portion and tastier than other Thai places I've been in town. There's a patio out front and a lunch buffet. Prices are very reasonable. Like many hidden gems, it's tucked away in a strip mall (on Oltorf near the interstate). Yum!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank sethreaux

Chicago, Illinois
“Too sweet for my taste”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Great service. A diverse menu and we ordered 5 items, all of which were too sweet. Needs to be more authentically asian in taste.

Visited December 2013
Austin, Texas
“A rare gem in the Austin restaurant scene. Open late too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Having been raised in a city where food is a religion and when people wait in line for a restaurant it is actually good, I am constantly disappointed in Austin's food and restaurants. I do however believe there are some very quality inexpensive ethnic restaurants hiding in the different neighborhoods if you're willing to step out of line from Hopdaddy and actually eat good food.

Asian cuisine in Austin in general is probably the weakest category but 888 is a bright spot in a city of bad Asian restaurants. Although they specialize in Vietnamese, there are a lot of menu options covering most of the basics you expect at an American Asian restaurant from Thai to Chinese.

I really like their Tom Ka Gai soup. As an entree I always get either chicken, beef or shrimp egg noodle dish. Get double noodles because they are delicious.

I have had the seafood clay pot and that is excellent as well.

I hate Pho but friends of mine always order it from there and they love it.

I have also had some of their "Chef's Entrees" like the flank steak and that is excellent as well.

The place is not fancy but the wait staff is always friendly and they are open late which is a huge plus since we always seem to be there late at night.

Definitely give this place a try.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Michael K
Austin, Texas
“Love this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

I would give it 5 stars but they took away the outdoor seating! Still love the food and the hospitality. The food quality is second to none. It's fast and inexpensive. You can't beat a 7 dollar buffet! There buffet is great and I hate buffets!

• Visited July 2013
Singapore
“Pleasant first experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

The menu here is extensive, offering a variety of Thai and Vietnamese dishes. I was spoilt for choice. The food may not be entirely authentic but neither is it watered down and Americanised. We had the duck wrap, green curry, tom yam soup and thai style red snapper. All the dishes were tasty, especially the fish which I had my reservations about initially. As another reviewer mentioned, do not mind the looks of the restaurant because I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food, large servings and affordable prices.

• Visited May 2013