“Our Party Was Well Served”
Review of Matt's El Rancho

Matt's El Rancho
Ranked #75 of 3,738 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Neighborhood: South Austin
Shanghai, China
“Our Party Was Well Served”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Invited family and friends to dine at El Rancho...16 of us. We went a little before the dinner rush. Service was great...food was very good...no complaints from anyone...wide range of selections by our group from enchiladas to fish tacos to carne guisada to frog legs...amazing menu choices.

I cannot eat the hot & spicy salsa anymore...they do not have a medium...one of the challenges as you get older, I suppose. Matt should consider salsa with different heat levels.

• Visited April 2014

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Best sausage/queso dip anywhere.”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

The Bob Armstrong dip (with queso, guacamole, and sausage) is a must, along with a good margarita or cold beer. Everything on the menu is great, but I usually just go for the Bob Armstrong. It's like a drug...you will have to go back for a fix every now and then.

Visited June 2013
Austin, Texas
“Always Good Food”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The Fish Tacos can be ordered with grilled Redfish instead of Tilapia for several dollars more. Worth every penny. Succulent, firm. Served with a seasoned rice with cilantro vinaigrette and a nice jalapeno slaw. Fantastic.

A bit noisy, but everyone is having a great time.

• Visited May 2014
Austin, Texas, USA
“Mexican Food”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I been going there since I was a little girl. The food is so good! Many faculty are still there for many years!

Visited April 2014
Leander, Texas
“Decent Food Despite Bell Pepper In My Coke”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We arrived 4:15pm on a Saturday, and the restaurant was already filling up. I've lived here 40 yrs and never eaten here (because Chuy's is the reigning king), but we decided we'd better do it to say we did. Our waiter's smile was broken at first, but then he warmed up a bit. He said he'd worked there for 40 yrs! Salsa was muy hot. And we're not wusses. Chips were very thick and hard; warn your enamel. I asked for a Coke with a lime. He brought two slices of lime in the Coke, but also a wedge of bell pepper. Think that was a mistake. ?? Husband had The Deluxe Mexican plate--the taco meat tasted like it should. Queso was slathered on a chip, not in a ramekin like usual. I had fish tacos with chipotle sauce. Not exciting, but at least the fish was not "fishy." You know what I mean. Everyone got to pick either rainbow sherbet or a praline for dessert, so that was a nice treat. We left stuffed. I'm stuffed as I type this. Overall, a decent experience. Be warned that the construction in the area is insane. If we didn't have 100 people moving here a day for the last 20 yrs, we might actually have all the lanes functioning.

• Visited May 2014

Been to Matt's El Rancho? Share your experiences!