“Killer lasagna”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
“Killer lasagna”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Before ordering lasagna at Vespaio, the best I lasagna I had ever eaten was prepared from scratch by a fabulous cook at a farmhouse in Tuscany. She made her own cheese & pasta, picked vegetables from her own garden, etc. Vespaio's version had a different flavor than Giovanna's, but it was obviously prepared with the same care and use of well-sourced ingredients. Service was great too. Extensive wine list, mostly from Italy. We will maje it a point to visit Vespaio whenever we get back to Austin!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank FloatsFlyer

Lakeway, Texas
“Enoteca Vespaio - lunch”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Next door to Ristorante Vespaio, for which you can find hundreds of reviews, is their cafe for casual lunch or dinner. We ate lunch there last week. Their menu has salads, antipasto, panninis and hot entrees. My wife had manicotti which she liked although they use lemon in the sauce which she didn't prefer. I had a muffuletta that I really liked. They have a nice selection of wines by the glass. Also expresso and other coffees and some delicious looking pastries. There is out door seating at tables with umbrellas. We saw others having large salads and a cheese and fruit plate lunch special that looked good. Glad we went.

• Visited March 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“Homemade Old-World Italian Charm”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I'm Neapolitan, so eating Italian food is like going home sometimes. This visit reminded me of what food made in the small kitchens of Italy taste like. A great memory of homemade goodness by Mama in her big white apron. Noodles hanging on line over the counter. Sauces simmering on the stove. All of these were evoked when the waiter put down our meals the other day.

We went there for my Birthday week to celebrate. Everything is very homemade including the pasta. If you are wanting perfectly massed produced noodles on perfect looking plates, this isn't the place. My butternut squash ravioli was pleasantly over-sized and stretched from boiling with a little heavier texture than store-bought pasta. The sauce was a little uneven with some of the Parmesan settling tp one side of the plate. The walnuts hand mashed and not uniform.

My Love ordered the lasagna made with fresh spinach. It was very green. Perfect for St. Patrick's day, but a little unsettling on a bite-by-bite presentation. There was lots of cheese, meat and sauce and a generous portion. I loved the small spicy link of sausage on top to kick it up a notch if you wanted to.

The prices were a little high, and the food a little too bland, but overall it was definitely a treat to eat at a place that actually hand makes everything, so I'll cut them some slack.

The service could have been a little less "let's move you out and rotate, especially when the place wasn't full when we left. I'm not sure I'll race back here to have another dinner, but it was memorable and the ambiance enjoyable. Love that fact that they have their own free parking on Congress, so no hassle coming and going.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank TallyHoHoHo
Los Angeles, California
“Sublime italian on SoCo”
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

I've been here every year for the past 7 I've been going to SXSW. We had the great fortune to discover it on our first trip and make it a point to go back every time. Owners and staff are just great but the food is the draw of course!

They don't take reservations Fri-Sunday so come early (or when the weather is bad you can get in a bit easier) and enjoy the amazing pasta and seafood. Wonderful wine list as well!

1 Thank Emily V
“Birthday dinner at Vespaio Ristorante”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We have had many dinners at Vespaio over the years. We recently dined there for my wife's Birthday with 2 other couples. The ambience, food, vino and service were all outstanding. Everyone in the party thoroughly enjoyed the evening (Sunday, not overly crowded). The prosciutto wrapped scallops were cooked to perfection.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Ken M

Been to Vespaio? Share your experiences!