“Awesome Austin Beer Garden and Tradition”
Review of Scholz Garten

Scholz Garten
Ranked #332 of 3,869 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, German
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I have been to Scholz Garten many times over the last 20 years, first as a grad student at UT and since then as a football/sports/German food fan. I have always enjoyed the German food at Scholz, the bratwurst has always been good and their potato salad is one of the best around.

The main attraction at Scholz Garten is the proximity to the University of Texas campus. It's location is great for a beer or soda or German meal when you're touring the campus or especially if you're tailgating before a Longhorns game. Whether you're a Longhorn fan or a fan of their competitor on that day, Scholz (and its patrons) will welcome you warmly and enthusiastically.

I always enjoy my trips to Scholz Garten, and I've never been there with friends/family/sporting rivals and heard them say a bad word about Scholz. If you're in Austin and near the UT campus, Scholz is one of your better options for a relaxing beer and some good German food.

2  Thank Counterweight

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Wen to the Scholz Garten to watch the World Cup 2014. It was unbelievably packed. I had to sit on the floor in order to watch the game. The atmosphere was a lot of fun, especially the german fans. The food was okay....However, the sound system was awful. Very loud and painful. Bring earplugs if you come when there is a big event. I will give this place another try when its not the World Cup.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Great beer choices and outstanding food. Got there early and enjoyed watching the Garten fill up nicely with after work locals and tourists. Outside seating on good weather days along with quaint inside booths and tables.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I first went to Scholz's back in the early 90s and loved the place then...and still do now. The food is great and the atmosphere is even better -- especially if you like history. The beer on tap is cold and all the folks working there are friendly and helpful -- good folks. On my most recent trip (June '14). we had several items over a 4 day period (Yes, we went 4 days in a row!) I highly recommend any of the po' boys on the menu as well as the German potato salad. If the weather is nice, sit out back in the "biergarten" to enjoy the food and drink. It's also a stones throw from the UT campus (Hook 'Em!). Again, if in Austin, go to Scholz's!

1  Thank Cowboy_Bill_60
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Love the atmosphere! We went for a private event. They served delicious food and beer. I'm not sure if they normally serve food on a regular day but either way it was great. I would come back another time just to hang and drink great beer.
The outside sitting area was cozy and the lighting was cute. There were children at our event so it was a little disappointing that there were only 4 stalls and no changing table but again, its a bar so you can't blame them.
Great place. Great beer. Great service.

2  Thank 3kidznosleep

Been to Scholz Garten? Share your experiences!