“Scrumptious flavors and great value too!”
Review of Uchi

Reserve with OpenTable
Uchi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 3,884 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Zilker Park
Cross street: Barton Springs
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I went with 2 coworkers during a business trip and we did the tasting menu, and it was a great experience filled with interesting flavor combinations and creatively presented fusion food.

It was a great value too, because this type of food in San Francisco (where we're from) would have cost a lot more. Definitely get the tasting menu. The crudo, fois gras, pork belly, and coffee panna cotta dessert dishes were our favorites!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,197)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband took me to Uchi for my 25th birthday dinner this last May and I loved it! We sat at the bar and spent the night chatting with the sushi chef who made some great recommendations of items on the menu that we would have never thought to order.
Great ambiance made even the wait a pleasant one.

Only negative was that the final bill caught us by surprise, but it was because we resorted to eating only the chef's recommendations. We paid around $180 total, which included 2 drinks each.
Everything was VERY fresh!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

prepare for a wait but its worth it- as good as any sushi and sashimi is NYC or Boston! waitstaff highly competent and versed in menu- drinks relish! beautiful presentation

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Short version: If you love trying new, great flavors, love sushi or just want to be amazed, Uchi is for you.

Longer version: The food truly was incredible. Creative, beautiful food with some really great flavor combinations I've never thought could've existed.

Kind of a small plates kind of place, great place to pick a bunch of things and share - which is great because you probably don't want to feel too left out on any of the dishes.

The place was loud and the ambience was rather forgetable (though the outdoor waiting areas for guests are quite nice), but I can't let that get in the way of what was a really amazing meal. Service was far from stuffy or elegant; very Austin, friendly, casual and offered some good suggestions, but didn't really have white linen sensibilities you might expect at the price point.

Items tried, though I will miss some, the chef's certainly didn't - all great:
- goat cheese, fatty tuna and apples with pumpkin seed oil (cold)
- yellow tail, chili oil, oranges (cold)
- "steakie bacon" fat back with radish, watermelon and basil oil (warm)
- anchovie nigiri (I so love this maligned fish!)
- scallop and avocado sushi
- Foie nigiri with caramelized fish sauce and candied quinoa (OMG this was good)

- Brown butter sorbet with panna cotta (sorbet was amazing, but the panna cotta was forgetable)
- Peanut butter semifredo with apple ginger ice cream, fruit and crumble. Combined it was an amazingly great pb&j deconstruction.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I was determined to try this place just because I was curious of how good this place could be...in Texas. We didn't have a reservation so I made sure to get here right when they opened at 5PM on a Saturday. Luckily for us, there was no wait and we were seated right at the sushi bar. They also have a happy hour called Sake Socials from 5-6:30PM. We ordered mainly from this menu with some yummy additions. These are the highlights that I remembered.

Uchiviche (salmon, striped bass, bell pepper, tomato, garlic, cilantro) - nice pieces of fresh fish, everything was well balanced.

Machi Cure (smoked baby yellowtail, yucca crisp, asian pear, marcona almond, garlic brittle) - our favorite from the social menu, loved all the different textures with the smoked yellowtail.

Hama Chili (baby yellowtail, ponzu, thai chili, orange supreme) - this was good, but nothing that stood out.

Bacon Steakie (pork belly, watermelon radish, citrus, thai basil) - the pork belly was cooked perfectly but I didn't really care for the watermelon radish.

Foie Nigiri (seared foie gras with quinoa) - I had to order this since it's banned in CA. They definitely saved the best for last. It was really rich and creamy, the fried quinoa gave it a nice crunch so that the foie gras isn't too overwhelming. The little sliver of seaweed helped with that too.

We also enjoyed the unfiltered sake from their social menu with our meal. $3 for a generous glass and they serve it in the wooden box if you decide to drink it that way. I wished we tried more things but since we had an early dinner we weren't even that hungry.

Overall we had a good meal and experience. We really felt the Southern hospitality with the whole staff (bartender, waitress, and sushi chef).

Been to Uchi? Share your experiences!