“Try the Tasting Menu on Your First Visit”
Review of Uchi

Uchi
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 3,708 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Zilker Park
Cross street: Barton Springs
Pennsylvania
“Try the Tasting Menu on Your First Visit”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My spouse and I dined at Uchi for dinner in early July 2013. We made our reservation on their website exactly 30 days prior to our visit, and we had no trouble getting our desired date and time. Only a certain number of tables can be reserved ahead of time, and the rest of the tables are reserved for walk-ins only. We took a cab to and from Uchi from downtown Austin, which took approximately 15 minutes and cost about $15 each way. (The restaurant called a cab to take us back to our hotel.) The restaurant offers valet and self-parking, though, and the lot seemed adequate. It seems that diners do not mind waiting awhile for their tables.

The restaurant has a bar area where patrons can wait, in addition to outdoor seating. We saw the restaurant serve the outdoor customer some sliced watermelon on the sultry summer night that we were there, so they definitely value their patronage. Besides the one end of the L-shaped bar where diners can drink while they wait for their tables, there is sushi-bar style seating on the other end of the bar. (We had not investigated this seating option when we made our reservation, and it was full when we arrived; otherwise, we would have enjoyed sitting at the sushi bar and watching the talented chefs.) Booth and table seating lines the perimeter of the restaurant, with some high-top table seating in the center. The wooden tables feature a little cubby hole underneath where the menus can be stored, which is a wise (and unique!) idea at a restaurant where diners may continue to order as they go along, rather than ordering all items at one time.

The a la carte menu is extensive and well-organized; however, we decided to partake of their longer, more extensive tasting menu so that we could try a selection of all of their menu items. The 10-course chef’s tasting menu runs $93, and the restaurant also offers a small 6-course signature tasting for a lesser price. We ordered the 10-course tasting menu, some of the courses for which we each received our own plate, and some courses for which we shared a plate. (We have never done a tasting where we did not each receive our own plate, so we felt that this was a unique way to present some of the dishes that were more main course items.) The wait staff worked fantastically together.

We enjoyed an excellent meal at Uchi!

Visited July 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Austin, Texas
“Best Restaurant in Austin”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is our second time eating at Uchi. We ate there one year ago (time flies!) and had, once again, the 10 Course Tasting Menu. it was sooo good. My mouth is watering thinking about it. I wish I could eat it again right now. The service was outstanding and the food top of the line. I can't wait until we can go back again.

• Visited September 2013
Boca Raton, Florida
“Uchi and Coochie, Who can Ask for More”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Reservations on Labor Day weekend and the restaurant was jamming and we were seated promptly. Service by our waiter Chester was superb. He was very knowledgeable pertaining to the menu and the specials of the day. He also has plenty of food knowledge which goes a long way for a foodie like me.
My company and I had several dishes and none being sushi. The dishes we had were so well prepared in plate appearance and taste. The foie gras nigiri rocked my world. So flavorful and tasty. Bacon steakie was also equally tasty hence we needed two orders of that dish.
Overall a great nite out and when I get to Austin again this restaurant is at the top of my lit. Uchi is a must go. Dinner for three with cocktails and tip $300.00..

• Visited September 2013
Tampa Bay, Florida
“I Think Uchi Invented Sushi”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My dinner tonight might not be the best dinner I've ever had, but I don't remember one that was better. I enjoyed a cavalcade of flavors, stunning presentation and an array of selections that I had never seen before. The layers of flavors in each item were really amazing, evoking a chain reaction that continued long after each bite was savored. Our server, Steve, was fantastic, very knowledgeable, personable and efficient without intruding.

We started with kusshi oysters, followed by Madai Nigiri (Japanese bream that was unbelieveable), Sake Toro Nigiri, a spider roll (I love soft shell crab and this was the best I've ever had), Yokai Berry, Tako Special, Pork Jowl, Brussel Sprouts, Loup Crudo, an off menu frog legs dish, Aji sashimi, Walu and finished up with two delicious desserts, Creme Caramel and Lemon Gelato.

The recommended sake, Bride of the Fox, as well as the suggested wine, were excellent, too.

This was a memorable dinner and possibly the best dinner I've ever experienced. My son and his wife have been here several times and have always raved about it. It lived up to that high billing and I would highly recommend Uchi to anyone who can afford and desire a unique, marvelous dining experience.

• Visited August 2013
Austin, Texas
“I thought I was in an instagram shoot”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Okay service, sushi isn't spectacular, it's sushi! Duh. Go for the salmon or an actual plate of food, it's really not THAT expensive but what do you expect, it was enough for me to write a review on it!

• Visited August 2013

Been to Uchi? Share your experiences!