“I am in love with this place”
Review of Uchi

Uchi
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 3,817 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Zilker Park
Cross street: Barton Springs
Reviewed July 10, 2013

They fly in fresh fish from Japan. The plating is gorgeous and some of the most unique flavors and combinations I have had. I had the scallop hot rocks, they give you a hot rock that is 400 degrees and you get to "cook" or sear your food on the hot rock to your licking. That was the highlight.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

If you can make it in for happy hour, you're getting a great deal! Made it in on Sunday at about 5:15pm and were seated right away at the sushi bar. We ordered everything from the sushi chef Masa. We ordered the spicy tuna roll, the shag roll, the hama chili, the bacon steakie (all off the happy hour menu) and the brussels sprouts off the regular menu. The spicy tuna roll and the shag roll were fine, and portions were larger than I thought they would be. They weren't anything out of the ordinary though. The hama chili had only 3 pieces of yellowtail in it, but you could tell it was really good quality fish. Prettiest presentation was the bacon steakie, and the pork belly was delicious. I think my favorite dish was the brussels sprouts though. Cooked perfectly with great lemon and chili flavors. The couple next to us at the sushi bar commented that they could smell the aroma of the brussels sprouts when the dish came out and wanted to order it too. We ordered the coffee panna cotta for dessert....soooo good! Presentation was definitely different. It looked like a scoop of ice cream with some chocolate and vanilla crumbs on the side, but under the crumbs was a lovely panna cotta with a mango filling. The chocolate crumbs turned out to be chocolate and coffee crumbles. The sweetness of the mango and white chocolate sorbet balanced well with the saltiness of the coffee crumbles. Loved it. Service was great and attentive without being overbearing. Overall, a great restaurant, but recommend it highly. We spent less than $70 between 2 people and each had a drink. Not bad. I did notice that there were more people waiting as we were leaving, so it paid to show up early. The couple next to us had ordered the omakase and their dishes looked impressive. They have self parking and valet outside.

1  Thank icelara
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

After seeing Uchi pop up on numerous lists of Austin's best restaurants, and hearing people talk about it, I had to try it for myself.

I could only get a 9:45 Saturday night reservation, but decided that was fine. When we arrived a bit early, the hostess informed me they would seat us at 9:45, and guess what?! They did. I was pleasantly suprised.

There was a problem with their air conditioning, so the entire meal we were sweating, never fun and completely unacceptable for a high end establishment.

The food was good, nothing outrageously special. We tried many different things from the menu. The sushi was all fresh. Coming from Dallas, I must say I prefer Nobu any day. Not quite sure what the fuss over this restaurant is all about, but oh well.

The service was on the ball, and the manager was apologetic about the air conditioning.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Was a little surprised to find this in Austin. Very legit sushi. If spicy tuna and California rolls are your version of sushi, you might not agree. For the rest of us, its highly recommended. Not a fan of the no reservation policy however....

Reviewed June 21, 2013

My first experience of proper high end sushi and foie gras and it was amazing!!
I am a convert!!
My favourite was what our waiter called "Summer on a plate!" and he was right it was!!
Each course was mind blowing - we let them decide for us and we were not disappointed.
We would definitely go back there at the drop of a hat and would strongly recommend it!!

Been to Uchi? Share your experiences!