“A great time and meal”
Review of Uchi

Uchi
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 3,738 Restaurants in Austin
Cross street: Barton Springs
Newport, Oregon
“A great time and meal”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

When it coms to food, I like to treat myself. I can't help it. I love the stuff. So I don't mind spending a lot of money on great meals...I can only review Uchi based on one night's experience but this is all to lead up to that Uchi was one of my favorite dining experiences ever.
In visiting Austin for only 36 hours, I made a last minute reservation for my husband and me; I was psyched that I was able to get us in only the night before we were there. When we were arrived there were throngs of people waiting outside, and in the bar-on a Monday night! Our table wasn't ready immediately, but it was a pleasant wait at the bar with our bartender who was friendly and informative about the wines and sakes. We moved to dinner, where we took up our table for a few hours and went through the tasting menu, adding on some plates that were interesting to us. Outstanding meal. The service was excellent, and the food was paced perfectly! Our server, Steve, was a pleasure and made us feel welcome and at home. Each person who dropped a new plate gave a brief description of what we were about to eat. And the food! The pork jowl plate was sensational-I far preferred it to the Bacon Steakie. The Machi Cure was another outstanding course. And starting with the Crudo was perfect. Even dessert (the Peanut Butter Semifredo) was stunning.
This was such a great dinner. I loved the casual atmosphere, the service that was down to earth and welcoming, and the food-delicious and interesting. Thanks, Uchi for a great night!

• Visited October 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
“Best Sushi in Texas”
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

This isn't your typical rainbow roll or dragon roll place. They have super interesting nigiri and rolls. I was skeptical at first because I heard it was more "innovative" than traditional but they preserve the essence and perfection of Japanese ingredients and techniques in all their dishes.

As someone who frequents Japan and enjoys authentic and traditional sushi, I also enjoyed Uchi! It's def not the usual tacky fusion places you find in Texas that adds random chicken teriyaki rolls to their menu.

If you're in the mood for sushi- def make a trip here but plan early Bc rsvp's are hard to find!

memphis, tn
“Absolutely love this place!”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We chose this place while visiting Austin based on Tripadvisor reviews! All I can say is wow! Thankfully, we made reservations 2 weeks in advance. Our reservation was for 6:30pm on a Thursday night and the place was jammed pack inside as well as outside with people waiting. The atmosphere was great. Our server, Abram, was awesome! We tried every dish that he recommended and every one was delicious! Unfortunately, I can't recommend a favorite because all of them were equally wonderful, even the octopus! If in Austin, please go here! I assure you that you will not be disappointed! And don't forget the sake! I had takara nigori unfiltered sake, which was a blend of cocunut, champagne, etc! Simply wonderful! I can't wait until my next visit to Austin. Uchi will definitely be on the agenda! Thanks Uchi!

Crossett
“An Iron Chef Experience”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We love to visit restaurants with Iron Chef America's participants. Uchi is definitely deserving of an Iron Chef contestant. I rarely pick oriental food but had to see if this establishment lives up to its reputation...We met my college roommate and her husband and had a fabulous time....great atmosphere, hopping all the time, great energy and great food. Great place for fun and fellowship. Yea, Uchi

Scarsdale, New York
“Surprise ! Great Sushi and Atmosphere And Worth Experiencing”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Before we arrived in Austin, we were told that if we ate in one restaurant we needed to plan ahead and make a reservation, at least a week in advance, to eat at Uchi! The only reservation we could get was for their first seating at 5pm on a Friday night. When we arrived at 4:45, the entrance was already packed with guests waiting to be seated and by the time we sat down, every table was filled! We sat at the sushi bar and we were impressed not only by the exceptional food but by the fact that most of the people preparing our outstanding meal were young Americans who were incredibly skilled and focused on making sure we were were very pleased with each of our orders. Everything we tasted was a treat to our senses and even their desserts were awesome..

• Visited February 2013

Been to Uchi? Share your experiences!