“Best Sushi in Texas”
Review of Uchi

Uchi
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Zilker Park
Cross street: Barton Springs
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

This isn't your typical rainbow roll or dragon roll place. They have super interesting nigiri and rolls. I was skeptical at first because I heard it was more "innovative" than traditional but they preserve the essence and perfection of Japanese ingredients and techniques in all their dishes.

As someone who frequents Japan and enjoys authentic and traditional sushi, I also enjoyed Uchi! It's def not the usual tacky fusion places you find in Texas that adds random chicken teriyaki rolls to their menu.

If you're in the mood for sushi- def make a trip here but plan early Bc rsvp's are hard to find!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We chose this place while visiting Austin based on Tripadvisor reviews! All I can say is wow! Thankfully, we made reservations 2 weeks in advance. Our reservation was for 6:30pm on a Thursday night and the place was jammed pack inside as well as outside with people waiting. The atmosphere was great. Our server, Abram, was awesome! We tried every dish that he recommended and every one was delicious! Unfortunately, I can't recommend a favorite because all of them were equally wonderful, even the octopus! If in Austin, please go here! I assure you that you will not be disappointed! And don't forget the sake! I had takara nigori unfiltered sake, which was a blend of cocunut, champagne, etc! Simply wonderful! I can't wait until my next visit to Austin. Uchi will definitely be on the agenda! Thanks Uchi!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We love to visit restaurants with Iron Chef America's participants. Uchi is definitely deserving of an Iron Chef contestant. I rarely pick oriental food but had to see if this establishment lives up to its reputation...We met my college roommate and her husband and had a fabulous time....great atmosphere, hopping all the time, great energy and great food. Great place for fun and fellowship. Yea, Uchi

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Before we arrived in Austin, we were told that if we ate in one restaurant we needed to plan ahead and make a reservation, at least a week in advance, to eat at Uchi! The only reservation we could get was for their first seating at 5pm on a Friday night. When we arrived at 4:45, the entrance was already packed with guests waiting to be seated and by the time we sat down, every table was filled! We sat at the sushi bar and we were impressed not only by the exceptional food but by the fact that most of the people preparing our outstanding meal were young Americans who were incredibly skilled and focused on making sure we were were very pleased with each of our orders. Everything we tasted was a treat to our senses and even their desserts were awesome..

Reviewed February 15, 2013

My brother and I were in Austin for a business trip, and we were looking for the best food in town. Luckily, a friend (and former resident) pointed us toward Uchi. We sat at the bar, and we had Louis as our personal chef. He was fantastic, and it was a treat to watch him perform his art. We ordered a ton of food, and it was all delicious. Our favorites were the machi cure, yokai berry, spicy tuna roll, japanese eggplant sushi, and zero sen roll (if you like cilantro). Truth is, you can't go wrong here. We've eaten at the best sushi restaurants in NYC, LA, Vegas, and everywhere in between, and Uchi definitely holds up. Enjoy!

1  Thank 27sam27

Been to Uchi? Share your experiences!