“Spanish themed tapa's bar in the warehouse district of Austin.”
Review of Malaga Tapas & Bar - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: San Antonio
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I love the tapas concept and have eaten in many of them over the years in Europe, so it is always interesting to find a similar themed venue here in the states. Malaga's has good bones, large bar and outside seating with plenty of tables which filled up fast on this Saturday night. Reservations are a must unless you want to eat at the bar, which is not a problem, many were doing so. Good service and the food tasted great. Happy hour (5-7) is the best deal price wise, with 4-5$ tapas, smaller versions of the main menu listings, but still enough. Otherwise the main menu tapas run closer to 10$, so the bill can add up fast. Very interesting wine list, lots of Spanish wines listed of course and not many I recognized, but I sampled two and was not disappointed. Great food and good location, but a little expensive.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was one of my favorite spots before it moved to the new location. The new locations is spacious and welcoming, the bartender went beyond the call of duty by offering up a sample of a wine I wanted to try.
When more time allows I will stop in for a meal

Reviewed October 27, 2013

In a great food town like Austin, and coming on the recommendation of the former sommelier, I was expected more from this meal. We sat outside, which was nice, and the service was fine but the food didn't wow me. Nothing was bad but nothing blew me away either. This was just an OK meal, after a few great meals in Austin.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Shared dinner with a business associate, we'd had Malaga recommended by a mutual friend. The Tapas selection was excellent, and made for a really nice dinner. Our waiter was helpful, attentive, and friendly...but also gave us some space. The meatballs were wonderful...a must...and the seared tuna was very good.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

A friendly little tapas bar near the shops in Austin. We wanted to kick off with a Margarita, but that wasn't encouraged, rather than the suggested sangria (not our favourite) we went for beer and wine instead...we had a couple of dishes, the mixed meat and cheese was average with truly average ham while the scallops were really good. If everything had been to that standard it would have been great, sadly the ham and to an extent the chorizo let it down.