“Still Excellent (save one thing)”
Review of Wink Restaurant

Wink Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Wink Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #145 of 3,828 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I’ve been a long-time fan of Wink, but some time had passed since we’d dinned there. So, for my wife’s birthday we decided to return, and we were (mostly) glad we did!

Wink is located in what can be a misleading store front, as it’s not impressive from the street, but step inside and it’s a different story. (Hint: extra parking is located just across the street on a second story ramp). When you step inside, all is transformed. It’s small, a bit noisy, but it’s full of energy and a super nice staff.

The food: On this night, I had the salmon (med rare), and it was probably the best I’ve ever had in my life. And yes, I’ve had it in the NW when the fish were running (excellent) but this was unreal….fresh and delicate. On a previous visit, I had tuna that was similarly unreal. The remainder of the table had: the hander steak (excellent); scallops (good); and duck (good). We followed with the chocolate soup (good but not as good as the last time I had it – a bit too much ginger) and a great flourless chocolate cake. Since our table shared, it worked out perfect.
Now, as I said, everyone was super friendly and great…..save our specific server. Hint to our server: if the table waves the bread due to a gluten issue, don’t tell us what we are missing….weird. And please act like everyone else there….happy and professional. Lastly, please don’t pour the last glass of red as if you couldn’t get it out of the bottle fast enough and end up dumping a ton of sediment in the glass and give no warning - gross. You are the clear outlier, and this is not a good thing.

Wink reminded me of how good they are, and I will return sooner than later. I just won’t sit in a certain section given she is still there…

1  Thank TXtraveler67

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Finally got around to trying Wink, adjacent to Whole Earth Provision, a remnant of 1970's Austin. This is a really nice spot. The food is fresh and very well prepared. But perhaps the highlights are the small, but carefully chosen and well-priced, wine list and the courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful staff. The only slight negative is the noise, but the food and drink make that a tiny negative. There were too many menu items to choose from, and each of the four of us loved our meals. Guess we'll have to come back!!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I wanted to try Wink for our anniversary. When we arrived for our reservation they seemed to be behind with turning over tables in the restaurant. There are a hand full of tables but the dining room was very loud. We were open to waiting in the wine room across the hall until a table opened up. We decided to grab an appetizer while we waited so we got an order of bruschetta. While waiting for our snack the staff was very nice and helpful with picking out our drink selections. It took an hour for our appetizer to come out, so they gave us the bar special for our patience which was Thai rice noodles and beef in a spicy broth. Both appetizers were really good. By this time I asked if we could just order from the main menu and sit in the wine bar because it was romantically dimly lit with chill music - much more conducive for an anniversary dinner. They seemed happy about the request, and so I ordered the guinnea (sp?) breast and my husband ordered the duck breast. I loved my entre, and my husband was less impressed, but we figured it was because he just didn't like duck and not because it wasn't cooked well. We finished the night with the dessert trio which was really good. We left two and a half hours after we arrived, but we were happy in the end with the experience. The bar was quite warm, so I'm not sure if they usually prefer it that way or if the air conditioner was broken. Since we were in town on holiday the bartender was super helpful with giving us suggestions on local places to grab a bite to eat. That was really helpful too.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

A friend recommended the restaurant. We had a little trouble finding it because it is really tucked away in a random spot but it was so worth the effort. We both had the 5 course tasting menus (sushi,scllops, duck, hanger steak, and cheese) with wine pairings and it was just fabulous. The restaurant is small but we were greeted by name on the way in and out and service was attentative without being intrusive. I would highly recommend Wink, but make a reservation !

Reviewed July 21, 2013

By self confident, I mean this place is hidden away behind the Whole Earth Provision Company by itself at 11th and Lamar, not in the clusters of fine Austin restaurants on South Congress or 6th or 2nd or East Austin or downtown. It's just a very classy neighborhood gem.
The wine bar is down the hallway and is much cozier and full of energy. The restaurant space is calmer and quieter and we loved it. My wife and I had dinner here and then friends joined us for drinks.
We were met by an attentive host and server and service was good all the way through the evening. We chose the five course starter menu, which they encourage the entire table, two of us in this case, to each order which we did. All the entrees sounded good and this way we could try several of the best ones. We had scallops, hangar steak, sashimi that I think was tuna, and a cheese tray at the end. We also ordered a wonderful corn bisque with fritters. It was all great, unusual flavors, though the sashimi was a bit bland for my taste. The wine list is small but varied in price and not overpriced.
This is just a relaxing and well organized place that we enjoyed tremendously; my wife is still talking about it, so it succeeded for our date night out. I recommend it highly.