“Surprise of excellent cooking”
Review of Wink Restaurant

Wink Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Wink Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #164 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is a no holds barred great restaurant. The foie gras was stupendous. Perfectly cooked with a mildly vinegary sauce that took my breath away. My wife's PEI mussels were tender, juicy with a hint of lime to make them delectable. I then had the Red Fish with Kennebec potatoes and yellow wax beans. Wonderful fish, cooked to perfection with just the right amount of salt to bring the full flavor out. The potato and beans were suffused with earthiness than complemented the fish to perfection. Finally, my Milk Chocolate soup dessert with rich, mouth-filling coffee left me smiling and promising I will soon return.

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We were big fans of Zoot, and when they moved to Bee Cave it became our go-to for a great meal. When Zoot evolved to BC Tavern it was an even closer match for us, and weekly visits were typical. All things must pass, and the suburban economy simply could not support BC. Thankfully we still have its sister, Wink.

Last night we made the trip downtown to Wink. It was great to find Chef Mark Paul in whites running the kitchen. Our good friend Dicky Griffin was our waiter for the evening, and we were happy to see his smile and hear his infectious laugh.

We started out with a refreshing glass of French Rose' in the wine bar while waiting for our table and found the staff on that side to be engaging and entertaining.

It wasn't long until we wre seated in the intimate yet lively dining room where we first enjoyed the complimentary strawberry gazpacho - cool and refreshing. We ordered a very nice beef tartare paired with a Spanish brut sparkling wine - again refreshing. Next was Wink's take on seared foie gras, served on crispy pumpernickel with a great carrot top pesto that we found creative, paired well with a Fench Sauternes.

We shared two entrees with a big red French claret. The antelope was a little underdone for our taste, and the hangar steak was not as good as the Zoot/BC take, but we enjoyed both dishes.

We loved the food, service and atmosphere so much that after a great comedy show (Jim Gaffigan - see him if you get the chance), we returned to Wink and enjoyed their remarkable chèvre cheesecake for a late dessert.

Although we miss having Stewart Scruggs (Wink co-owner and former exec chef of Zoot/BC) as our nieghborhood CIA personal chef and buddy,Wink lived up to our expectations and hopes. We will be back.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I had the pleasure of dining at Wink while at a conference and the food was exquisite. Don't let the location fool you, what's inside this small eatery will make a big impression. My friend and i both took the first bite of our entree's and simultaneously said "Ahhh". The beet salad was delicious and full of flavor and my scallops were buttery smooth and nearly melted in my mouth. Don't miss Wink when visiting Austin.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Very friendly staff and excellent food. All the items were well seasoned and I enjoyed every bite. Shared the hamachi sashimi and a salad to start. Both excellent. I had the seared scallops and enjoyed every bite. The other guests had red fish and they both enjoyed it. The chocolate dessert was a little heavy but the lemon meringue pot was very tasty. It was my husband's birthday and they gave him a copy of the menu which the entire staff signed.

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Wink, located near downtown Austin, is a superb dining experience equivalent to a fine restaurant tucked away in the heart of France. From the amuse bouche to the dessert trio, every course was a gastronomic delight. Truly a dining experience to delight your senses.