“Classic Casual Bistro”

Chez Nous
Ranked #171 of 3,683 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: A family owned and operated Casual French Bistro in downtown Austin since 1982
Evanston, Illinois
“Classic Casual Bistro”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Touted as a casual, French bistro... Guess what? It was. Unassuming outside; unassuming inside. Very nice people, homey atmosphere. Attentive service. Food presentation was ok. However, the food selection and tastes were outstanding. This is a hidden jewel.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank sommersboy

London, United Kingdom
“Sweet little bistro in the heart of downtown”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We were tired and hungry and this restaurant was close to where we were and accommodated us fairly quickly so they get points right away for that!
Nothing fancy, very French feel......we got the prix fixe offer and we both had the foie gras as a starter. Rich and a tad too generous but a very nice start, especially with the appropriately soft and dense baguette and unsalted butter.
The star of the dinner was my ruby trout with oyster mushrooms. Absolutely succulent, with a beautifully smooth sauce. Amazing! My husband had the salmon and enjoyed it also.
The wines were disappointing-too light and not much substance (had a viognier and a chignin), and the desserts were standard fare, nothing to write home about.
One waiter left us in the lurch as I waited for a glass of wine-his service was rather desultory but the rest of the staff was kind.

That said, we enjoyed our dinner very much.

• Visited March 2013
Southlake, Texas
“To avoid terrible service”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Worst service ever ! The waistress as well as the owner of the restaurant himself are very unpleasant, rude and arrogant.
I came here reading the extremely positive reviews and I was extremely disappointed.
There are really better choices of restaurant in Austin.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank MissTibi
Austin Texas
“Real French Cuisine”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Another of my absolute favorites. Their crepes(only served at lunch) take me back to many happy holidays in France. A place I have been coming too for over 9 years and have never left the place without feeling very satisfied. The service can be slow at times but is always friendly and the food excellent. Apart from lunch I wouldn't say though that it was vegetarian friendly.

Visited February 2013
Essex, Vermont
“Hidden Jewel in Downtown Austin!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Chez Nous is an unexpected surprise. I happened upon it because I happened to be staying at the nearby hotel. It is one of my favorite French restaurants in the country. It is almost worth traveling to Austin just to eat there. The food is fantastic. The wine by the glass is poured from the bottle at your table, so you know what you are getting. The homemade pate is so addictive, I think I ate three meals there in my 4 days in Austin. The atmosphere is French, but casual, with not a hint of pretense. It is an experience not to be missed.

• Visited March 2012