“Wonderful desserts”
Review of 1886 Cafe & Bakery

1886 Cafe & Bakery
Reserve with OpenTable
1886 Cafe & Bakery is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 3,849 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th Street
Description: The legendary Driskill Grill serves exquisite modern American cuisine Tuesday through Saturday. The Driskill Grill is a Four Diamond rated restaurant and is repeatedly ranked the number one restaurant in Austin. The Driskill Grill invites diners to feast on an ever-changing array of innovative and impeccably prepared fare in the most elegant of surroundings. The Driskill Grill uses locally grown products, seasonal ingredients and cutting edge menu choices which create a truly memorable dining experience. The Driskill Grill has received numerous awards and accolades including the coveted Foder's Choice Award, Zagat's ranking of "Extraordinary to Perfection" and OpenTable's Diners Choice Award. Wine Spectator, America's leading wine appreciation magazine has honored The Driskill Grill with their "Award of Excellence 2011."
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Loved the chocolate cake: not a layer cake, but an old fashioned hunk of cake with chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream on top. The pecan pie was good, but a little crisper than I like.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

What a surprise! We had a great lunch at 1886 as we were starving and had walked through the beautiful old hotel as sightseers, I would go back. We had to wait a bit for a table but the hotel lobby is a gorgeous period piece, the time will fly. We had the Lady Bird omelette and Tuna Sushi sandwich, both very good and not the usual. Definitely a foody, Chef Shannon walked through the dining room and stopped by many of the tables, it was nice to chat and hear his inspiration for the menu items.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I ate here twice on a recent trip, and I found plenty to eat each time. My favorites were the salmon burger, the veggie flatbread, and the ahi sandwich. Good place to get a quick bite.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We had dessert here twice in two weeks. Great cupcakes. The homemade banana pudding and pumkin cheesecake were to die for. We will be back.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I loved their menu, the Hangover Burger is outrageous but so yummy, and the chocolate and vanilla cupcakes are delicious, very delicate taste and texture. I went there 3 times during my stay at The Driskill hotel and once I had an issue with a hostess who did't give us a table so I walked in and helped myself only to find out that this lady would be my waitress during my lunch. She refused to tell me about the happy hour meals because she didn't want to repeat herself until I asked her what was wrong with her. I ended up leaving no tip. I addressed this with the restaurant manager and not sure if he cared or not but I think this unfriendly waitress was just an exception and doesn't really represent the overall good service and food we got. But in a economy where people are dying to get a job you would think that people who have one would be grateful and treat guests like they deserve.