“I'be been a customer for more than 40 years....”

Dirty Martin's Place
Ranked #738 of 3,727 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: West Campus
Austin, Texas
“I'be been a customer for more than 40 years....”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

One of the review of Dirty's says that the place is "a UT institution". If you are going for the first time, be prepared for the decor: There isn't any! This place is the quintessential greasy spoon of a cafe. I recall when they re-modeled and "freshened-up" sometime around late '72 and they haven't changed a thing since. This place is about the burgers.... juicy, dripping to your elbows burgers. Healthy they're not. Don't eat here more than occasionally if you want to live. Cardiologists have nightmares about this joint.

I recommend a cheeseburger with and order of onion rings (don't bother with the french fries - they're not that good) and the beverage of your choice. A CB with rings and a beer plus tip will run you about 8 bucks (Granted, that's a long way from 95 cents for a hamburger and a beer back in '72 but that's inflation for you I suppose).

A couple of words of advice: Don't be put off by the name (Dirty's). That goes all the way back to the 1920s when the place had dirt floors. The place is packed at lunch time. To say that seating is limited is the understatement of the century and parking can be hard to come by during peak periods. You should probably avoid going when UT is playing football in Austin. A lot of nostalgic former students stop in for a taste of their long lost youth.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank AustinFoodie3

Pflugerville, Texas
“worse than McDonalds!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The iconic Dirty Martin's is a waste of time and money. Run-of-the-mill greasy burgers and frozen Servco french fries.
Yech!

Visited December 2012
Belton, Texas
“Not at home”
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

So I found myself in Austin again and was really craving a burger. Austin has so many to choose from. Then it hit me and my car tool me back to Dirty Martins I just love there burgers. This is the second time my son have come here. It's a good place to have a bite to eat sit on the porch and visit. I ment to take a picture of my burger but I ate half of it before I remembered oh well. So next time I find myself in Austin you can bet I will stop in again.

Lockhart, TX
“Best little hamburger joint in Texas”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This place is an Austin and UT institution. Small hole-in-the-wall type place but been there forever - the 1`930's at least. Cheap food and beer and you are liable to see anyone associated with UT there. Once a friend and I were at the bar talking about the poor performance of the Longhorn football team only to see the head coach and athletic director walk by us on the way out. The team improved so maybe our criticism helped.

Visited October 2012
Belton, Texas
“not at home”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I drove in to Austin on the 3ed to have lunch with my son and daughter in law,we like to go to places we have never eaten at before.I found this place on Travel Advisor. It was just great I had the DH bugar it was so good.My son and his wife got the chicken fried chicken sandwich it was really good also my som and I split my burgar and his sandwich.I have to say um um Almost glad I know about this place before we moved, We might not have moved. We will go back next chance we get.One thing yall need sweet tea,Oh the tea they do have is nasty,is it instant tea? if so shame on yall this is texas for god sakes we brew our tea here and add sugar.They should work on that. Next time I'll get a beer.

• Visited October 2012

Been to Dirty Martin's Place? Share your experiences!