“Everybody in Austin has a go-to place for Tex-Mex”
Review of Maudie's Cafe

Maudie's Cafe
Ranked #285 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Everybody in Austin has a place they like to go when they need a Magarita and Tex-Mex, my choice is Maudies for several reasons. One they have multiple locations all around the city so no matter where I am I can find my Tex-Mex fix. Second the food is consistent from one location to another. Maudie's chips, salsa and queso always satisfy. The fajitas are extremely tasty and recommend always paying a little more and substitute fajita meat in dishes like quesadilla or burritos. The Margaritas are always thirst quenching. Sure there are better places in Austin for Tex Mex, but the comfort nature of Maudies is why I always come back.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

First do NOT order your food with rice & beans! The beans are from a can & COLD!! The rice was under cooked & terrible. The enchiladas & tacos were just ok. Nothing to brag about just ok so if you eat here I recommend passing on the sides. Save that money and order ala cart!

1  Thank Luv-2-travel-36DD
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Austin has so many options for Tex-Mex restaurants, this one need not be on your radar. The only redeeming value about Maudie's is their location. We chose the outdoor seating, which was nice. But the chips and salsa set the tone for the rest of the meal. I have had better salsa from a jar. My family shared the queso, which the kids seemed to enjoy, but again, it reminded me of store-brand queso. The Rockin' Ruthann's burrito was flavorless with no seasoning of any kind. Also, I got the impression that the waitstaff would prefer a more hip clientele then we presented. Save your money.

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at about 1830hrs today - Saturday 25th May. There appeared to be plenty of off-road parking, but no available spots. We parked on a side street.

Chips and salsa arrived very quickly; the chips were good, but the salsa was runny and looked as though it was 'over-buzzed' in a blender. The spice was a medium im the salsa!

Waiter promptly took our order:
I just had the Skinny Chipotle Chicken Fajita
The wife had a chicken enchilada soup to start, which she said was 'good' and the Fish Tacos, which were 'not interesting - dull' according to her.

I discovered the 'skinny' meant 'no tortillas' for my entree, which was very flavorful, but a tad spicy for my palate!

Overall, I'm not sure that we'd bother to go nack again for Supper, maybe breakfast. An average experience!

Total cost was $23 exc tip. We left a 17.5% tip as service was good, even if the experience wasn't very memorable.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Close to home, best Mexican food in town. A regular place, close to Deep Eddy Pool, and WAYA (West Austin Youth Asso).