“MAN THIS WAS GOOD!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Cincinnati, Ohio
“MAN THIS WAS GOOD!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We were trying to find a "local" BBQ food truck and came here because Franklin and La BBQ were already sold out. It was so worth it!! It was a little difficult to find (located behind the Dairy Queen), but I'm so glad we did! By the time we got there, 3 in the afternoon, they didn't have a whole lot left, but we got the pork tenderloin and it was AMAZING. Some of the leanest cleanest pork I've ever had. We got the last of it so the worker cut of the ends and brought them out to us. We ate every bite. Inexpensive and awesome. If you can get there-- do it. Just get there a little earlier :)

• Visited January 2014

Concord, NH
“A Total Austin Experience”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

OK -- I'm a New Englander. I'm kind of staid and predictable. But boy, did I love this place,which is absolutely nothing like what you'll find anywhere else.

First, you enter the Buzz Mill Cafe -- a very welcoming place that, like lots of cafes in Austin, serves both coffee and beer (both excellent). Then you pass out the back door, where there are two food trucks in the back lot -- one, featuring vegan food, and the other, the Blue Ox BBQ.

The three of us shared a half pound each of brisket, pulled pork, and sausage, and it was hard to tell which was more perfect than the next. Marvelous, simply marvelous. And cheap! Of course, we were eating out paper plates on a picnic table -- but boy, was it great!

I'll add that we only had to stand in line about ten minutes, which seems vastly quicker than some of the more ballyhooed spots in town.

I can promise you that any of my future visits to Austin will include a stop at the Blue Ox (and the Buzz Mill). Yours should too!

• Visited January 2014
Austin, Texas
“Best of the best.”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I've had BBQ all around the country - from Jack Stack in Kansas City, to Goode Company in Houston. Heck, even Blue Ribbon in Newton, MA. I gotta tell you, this little food truck is better than any of 'em. Seriously.

Chef/Owner Chase creates a perfect blend of sweet smoking and subtle seasoning. Those other places dry out their meat, then over-salt it. Not Blue Ox. The sauce he serves is good. But you won't need it. Chase controls his cooking so well, he keeps the meat juicy, tender, and succulent.

I had a 1/2 pound of the pulled pork last night. It's 9:45 in the morning now, and my mouth is watering as I write this. Yep. It's that good.

Plus, Blue Ox is in the courtyard of the Buzz Mill, where you'll find outstanding beers on tap. Go there now. Guaranteed happiness.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank JohnSturtevant
NY/NJ
“Awesome find”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I get the whole Franklin thing, it's an experience but if you don't go a little ( and just a little) out of your way to the Buzz Mill and try the Blue Ox, you're missing something special. I was in Austin for four days and stopped here three times, it was that good. The Blue Ox is set up in back of the Buzz Mill and serves pulled pork, both beef and pork ribs, sausage, brisket and an incredible pork tenderloin. The tenderloin has an espresso rub which does the trick. The pork ribs were also to die for. Good selection of craft beers and infused whiskey's inside the Buzz Mill. Music here as well.

• Visited October 2013
Texarkana, Texas
“One more reason to love Austin”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

When visiting Austin we always like to try the local fare. Blue Ox BBQ was a great evening. It was a little tricky to find their food truck tucked behind Buzz Mill. But definitely worth the hunt. We had a group of 4 so we ordered everything they had. The brisket was so fresh, we had to wait for it to come off the smoker. Not everything on the menu was available, but we had brisket, pulled pork, and ribs. Our sides were german potato salad and pinto beans. It was all wonderful evening sitting out on the picinic tables enjoying their music.

• Visited May 2013