“New Restaurant Worth A Try”
Review of Kohnami Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Kohnami Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese
Austin, Texas
“New Restaurant Worth A Try”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We visited this new neighborhood restaurant on a recent Saturday evening. At this point it has been open about 3 months. It is in its own building in a large strip center on Hwy 183 and Anderson Mill Road in NW Austin, TX. Locals will know it as the former site of Hoover's Home Cooking. The restaurant has undergone some minor interior changes. We were greeted warmly and seated immediately. There were some folks at the Sushi Bar and diners at a few tables. Service was attentive. We started with a California Roll sushi that was really good. Everything tasted very fresh. Next we had the obligatory Miso Soup. We are not Miso fans so my take on it is not objective. It was just OK. Next came the very fresh salad with tasty Ginger dressing. The salad was very cold and crisp. Wish all restaurants kept their salads this crisp. I had the Fried Rice Combo (chickent and beef) entree. I really like Fried Rice and this was really good. It was light and tasty. The rice and meats were cooked just right. Great taste. Our server said they use very good oils for cooking resulting in better taste and "lighter" fare. All i know is that this was some of the best Fried Rice I had had in a long time.
My wife had the Tempura. It was plentiful and very crispy. Again, the same reason given was the high quality oil used in the preparation. It did not taste oily. And the vegetables were fresh and still crisp. We would order this again.
During the service, we had time to talk with our server who was also a manager. He had the owner come over to ask us about our meals. She seemed sincerely interested in our take on how they were doing. Any room for improvement (lose the Miso and replace with Won Ton), etc. Keep in mind this is a new place and it always takes time to get into a groove, but I think they are moving there. My wife has been back with a friend for lunch and they both enjoyed their meals. In an area where there is a lot of Asian competition, Kohnami can make it. Give it a try.

• Visited April 2013