“Yummy in my tummy”

Pieous
Ranked #16 of 3,830 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed August 21, 2014

Pizza: Bacon blue. Good but the bacon jam was too sweet for my liking. Would definitely like to try a different one.
Pastrami: I picked the juicy not the lean and it was sooooo good.
Dessert: Cheesecake brownie. Really good. Would like to try something else cause everything looks awesome.
Service: Great! Even though it's counter service, everyone was really friendly and attentive. I really appreciate when bussers maintain the restaurant looking spotless and clean.
The layout and aesthetic of the restaurant is spot-on and pretty casual but modern.

1  Thank Maria F

Reviewed August 20, 2014

please try the pastrami plate if you care to share heavenly deliciousness. we also tried some pizza full of meat but we can barely decide what we want to eat as everything looked just awesome. i must come back again!

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Based on everything I'd heard from friends and read online, I was expecting "Wow!" What I got was "This is really good." Three couples met for an early dinner this August Sunday night, and I emphasize "early." We purposefully got there before 5:00 because they run out of pizza dough and/or pastrami almost daily according to Pieous' website and because they close at 8:00 on Sundays. Everything was in stock on this occasion, except for a beer that was on their website but not in the restaurant. The do have many beers from which to choose, however. And I will say this about this counter-service establishment: I contacted them via email inquiring about a corking fee before my visit, and they responded in a courteous and timely manner. (BTW--they do not allow patrons to bring their own wine.)

We all shared a couple of Pieous "choppy" salads, a pastrami plate, and each couple got a pizza to share. (One pizza had four larges slices, so they are relatively small and just one size.) Their pizza dough and pastrami are legendary according to online reviewers, but the shining star to me was the signature vinaigrette. I want no other dressing on my salads in the future...ever! The salad was only lettuce, chickpeas, and house-made mozzarella, but that dressing made it spectacular. I want that recipe. The mozzarella is authentic, fresh, & good, but the house-made mozzarella from the cheese department at Central Market just 15 minutes down the road is better.

The pastrami was very good, and several of the men in our group said they've never had better. Perhaps I'd just heard too much hype about it, but I was almost disappointed. The serving on our platter had a lot of the bark from the exterior of the brisket, so it was pretty hard and dry. I realize pastrami is a salt-cured meat, but this was really salty--too much so for my taste. The sourdough and pickled onions on the pastrami platter ARE the stuff of legends, though.

These are the pizzas our group ordered: Smoky Italian, the Fat Queen, and an artichoke white pizza. All were delicious, and the crust in that wood-fired oven is near perfection. However, even though the toppings on the Fat Queen and Smoky Italian pizzas were spicy and balanced, the crust was so delicate that it didn't hold up to a heavily dressed pizza. By the time they reached our table, the pizzas with multiple toppings were a little soggy in the center and had to be eaten with a knife and fork. But they tasted great!

So, I'm glad I went and I'm likely to go again. But it's NOT the best in town--that honor still belongs to Home Slice Pizza on South Congress in Austin.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

After hearing/reading about this restaurant (which is under 10 minutes from my house), I decided to try it tonight while on my own for the evening. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the quality of the pizza I ordered, and the fun experience of sitting at the food prep bar watching all the activity - making pizzas, salads and slicing and constructing the "home smoked" pastrami plates. The line was out the door, and for good reason! The selection of pizzas is creative and all looked wonderful, handmade crust - perfectly done in the wood-fired oven. The desserts looked fantastic, and I'll be back for the pastrami. This is a new favorite and I'll be telling everyone how much I love it!

Reviewed August 7, 2014

wife and i took 10&13 grand daughters. food was very good, wife and i both had crispy onion and italian sausage pizza which was very flavorful and somewhat spicy(middle heat). a really good rendition of a sausage pizza.
grand daughter had pepperoni - topping was very very generous, small diameter pepperoni was spicy and flavorful. wife and i split $8 caesar salad and was enough for each of us. restaurant crew was very accomodating. dough could have been a tiny bit more crispy. we will return for sure and then ask for a more crisp dough.