“Value for money!”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Downtown North
Ranked #139 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Overnight stay @ Rodeway Inn was uneventful. No trouble with directions (Hint: Take Exit 238A on both directions I-35), check-in was a breeze, room on the ground floor was neat and clean. Bathroom was tidy, wi-fi was excellent, skipped breakfast and on our way the next morning. Above all, location's the best. Both clerks were efficient and responsive.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gopal_108

Reviewed July 29, 2014

So, the good news is that the rooms are very nice and clean, and a good value! The bad news is that this may have one of the worst, non-engaged, apathetic staffs I have ever experienced. Desk clerks are not helpful, seem to hate their job, housekeeping is understaffed and overwhelmed. Took me 45 mintues to check in with a desk clerk that thought he was clever and entertaining....but mainly he was incompetent and disinterested. Another overnight clerk liked to vent on anyone in the lobby about his the poor money he made, his wife was unhappy with him, and the morning desk clerk is always late getting there to relieve him. The breakfast was pretty much non existent each morning, never any coffee made, and if you asked anyone to make coffee it seemed to be a big chore for them to even respond to the request. Housekeeping was pretty sloppy, not restocking coffee packets, leaving dirty towels in bathroom, and on some days just a no show.Female desk clerk on day shift always distracted, seemed to spend alot of time on the desk computer.....I assume updating her FB status...which must have been a challenge since wireless in lobby did not work the entire week

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank rdavis122
Reviewed July 29, 2014

After calling several times to get directions with no answer. Found hotel, but no one in office to check us in. We noticed a pair of vary dirty red work gloves on the counter. Also noticed the trash can was over flowing with that mornings breakfast trash. Mind you it was 5:30PM, and there was that terrible odder that we are all familiar with. Went out to my car to try to cancel my reservation through ChoiceHotels and was told the manager would not let me because it was past the deadline. Needless to say we did not stay at this hotel and wound not recommend anyone to do so until they get different and more help.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Robin S
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was really worried when we pulled up. This was an old EconoLodge and it showed its age. However from the moment we got there it was obvious that this was a different hotel. The manager told us we had a good room right next to the ice machine & near the pool. Not what I wanted to hear when I wanted a good night sleep. But he assured me that because it was an old hotel with thick walls we wouldn't hear anything. And we didn't.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank retired43
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I went by other tripadvisor reviews and chose to stay at this hotel but I would never stay here again. Be prepared to wait at least 15 minutes for someone to even come out to the front to check you in. Supposedly they are very short staff. The restaurant at the hotel was very good but walking back to our room at 8pm was sketchy. It's a very short walk but as we approached the stairwell to go up to our room there were mexicans drinking 40oz and smoking in the stairwell. It was very awkward walking through them to get to our room that was located right on the top of the stairwell. They kept us up till 1130pm. since our room was right next to.the stairwell we heard everything. They woke us up at 5am talking in the hallway and knocking on everyone's doors to wake each other up for work. I think they were workers that were staying at the hotel during the week. So when we got up the next morning we asked for another room. The guy working in the morning was really helpful and apologetic but a room wasn't available till later that day. When we got back to the hotel around 3 more confusion started. We went to check in for our new room, got the key, went to the room and found it was already occupied. Go back to the front desk and the man checking in behind me had to go back too because his room was also already occupied. She assigned me and the man behind me another room and escorted us to our rooms. Our room was okay to stay in but this poor man's new room was occupied again. So we finally get a new room. The room itself is pretty nice and clean. Later on in the afternoon we went to the pool and went back to our room, past the drinking mexicans in the stairwell looking down on us, and found our key didn't work. Walk to the front desk and found out that our room was assigned to someone else. So someone walked in our room saw our suitcases in there and closed the door. Thank goodness they didnt take anyrhing. They were waiting by the front desk for another room when we walked in with our room key that didn't work. finally get our room key fixed and and settled down for the night. The rooms are nice but the way this property is ran really needs improvement. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank mikiwhitt
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Visited Austin to scope out possibly moving there and after driving down from Iowa for 16 hours straight, we were met by hospitable stay. They allowed us to check in two hours early (much needed and provided us the opportunity to nap before hitting up the city) and also were there for us numerous times throughout our stay. The exterior is a little out dated, but the interior on all parts of the place is freshly updated. It has no hallways so at first it felt unsafe, but looking back upon updated apartments and town homes gave a confidence in that we chose the right place. Cheap and nice. Best place to stay for the price.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was expecting more and I feel a little let down. However, it's still very good for the low rate I paid. This hotel is located directly on the frontage road of hwy 290 a few miles north of downtown. The outside of the building is your typical older hotel design with recent paint. You can park right outside your room and you walk directly into your room from the parking lot. The room has a bit of a musky smell that you might expect in an old motel. I only noticed it for a minute as soon as I open the door. The furniture is more modern and what you would find in newer hotels. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioner was cold. The bathroom is small but updated. Fresh paint on all the walls. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. They have basic cold breakfast in the office... no meat. I would stay here again when I need to travel on a budget.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple