“Secret value”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Downtown North
Ranked #135 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was really worried when we pulled up. This was an old EconoLodge and it showed its age. However from the moment we got there it was obvious that this was a different hotel. The manager told us we had a good room right next to the ice machine & near the pool. Not what I wanted to hear when I wanted a good night sleep. But he assured me that because it was an old hotel with thick walls we wouldn't hear anything. And we didn't.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank retired43

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I went by other tripadvisor reviews and chose to stay at this hotel but I would never stay here again. Be prepared to wait at least 15 minutes for someone to even come out to the front to check you in. Supposedly they are very short staff. The restaurant at the hotel was very good but walking back to our room at 8pm was sketchy. It's a very short walk but as we approached the stairwell to go up to our room there were mexicans drinking 40oz and smoking in the stairwell. It was very awkward walking through them to get to our room that was located right on the top of the stairwell. They kept us up till 1130pm. since our room was right next to.the stairwell we heard everything. They woke us up at 5am talking in the hallway and knocking on everyone's doors to wake each other up for work. I think they were workers that were staying at the hotel during the week. So when we got up the next morning we asked for another room. The guy working in the morning was really helpful and apologetic but a room wasn't available till later that day. When we got back to the hotel around 3 more confusion started. We went to check in for our new room, got the key, went to the room and found it was already occupied. Go back to the front desk and the man checking in behind me had to go back too because his room was also already occupied. She assigned me and the man behind me another room and escorted us to our rooms. Our room was okay to stay in but this poor man's new room was occupied again. So we finally get a new room. The room itself is pretty nice and clean. Later on in the afternoon we went to the pool and went back to our room, past the drinking mexicans in the stairwell looking down on us, and found our key didn't work. Walk to the front desk and found out that our room was assigned to someone else. So someone walked in our room saw our suitcases in there and closed the door. Thank goodness they didnt take anyrhing. They were waiting by the front desk for another room when we walked in with our room key that didn't work. finally get our room key fixed and and settled down for the night. The rooms are nice but the way this property is ran really needs improvement. Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank mikiwhitt
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Visited Austin to scope out possibly moving there and after driving down from Iowa for 16 hours straight, we were met by hospitable stay. They allowed us to check in two hours early (much needed and provided us the opportunity to nap before hitting up the city) and also were there for us numerous times throughout our stay. The exterior is a little out dated, but the interior on all parts of the place is freshly updated. It has no hallways so at first it felt unsafe, but looking back upon updated apartments and town homes gave a confidence in that we chose the right place. Cheap and nice. Best place to stay for the price.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was expecting more and I feel a little let down. However, it's still very good for the low rate I paid. This hotel is located directly on the frontage road of hwy 290 a few miles north of downtown. The outside of the building is your typical older hotel design with recent paint. You can park right outside your room and you walk directly into your room from the parking lot. The room has a bit of a musky smell that you might expect in an old motel. I only noticed it for a minute as soon as I open the door. The furniture is more modern and what you would find in newer hotels. The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioner was cold. The bathroom is small but updated. Fresh paint on all the walls. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. They have basic cold breakfast in the office... no meat. I would stay here again when I need to travel on a budget.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and made us feel very comfortable. The parking area was a little dark and glooming at night. The rooms were clean and spacious with very comfortable beds. The pool was very clean, but needed work, tile was missing and there were chunks at the bottom of the pool. Other than that it was a hell of a bargain.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I booked our one-night stay here based on all those previous Tripadvisor favorable reviews. I really really wanted to give it a better rating...but found it difficult.....Where do I begin? When I approached the front desk on check-in day, the front desk receptionist was obviously too 'busy' and preoccupied with her personal phone call. When she found out that I wasn't going away, she said into the phone, 'oh, I gotta go, there are people here.' ...this was after I stood there for a good 5 min.....I requested in my online reservation for a non-smoking room; got a room marked as 'non-smoking' but was so heavy with smoke that I wonder if a smoker had been there for weeks and just recently moved out. ok, got an apology and moved upstairs....not sure when the last time room was occupied, as it was dusty: on the most obvious places like the alarm clock. there was even a candy wrapping left in the ice bucket for extra touch. Yes, room rate was low...but I would go back only if I must.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank MK330
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Our family booked a stay at the Rodeway Inn & Suites downtown. We were very pleased with the rooms. They we're very clean and the decor was awesome. Even though it is on the highway, our rooms were very quiet and peaceful. We had 3 rooms and everyone was pleased with their accommodations and the price was great! The outside is not fancy but they keep it clean and since we wanted to spend our money on things besides a room we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family