“Best Barbecue I've Had in Austin”
Review of La Barbecue

La Barbecue
Ranked #10 of 3,871 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: We are a food trailer with a lot of outdoor seating.
Description: We are a food trailer with a lot of outdoor seating.
Reviewed February 27, 2014

It probably helped that we went there on a cold and rainy day, for, arriving at 10:30 am, we were first in line. When the window opened, we were immediately offered generous, fresh-cut samples of the brisket, which was melt-in-your-mouth tender and deliciously flavored. Since I couldn't decide between the beef and the (home-made) sausage, I opted for the El Sancho sandwich, which combined both, topped with red onion slaw. That, plus a side of chipotle cole slaw, made for a memorable lunch. For those with no tolerance for spiciness, note that the cole slaw has a bit of a kick to it, as does the barbecue sauce (the latter isn't really needed in any quantity, since the flavors of the meat speak for themselves).

The sign on the trailer listing drink prices is rather amusing; soft drinks cost a buck, but the beer is free. And they really mean that; away from the trailer is a keg where you can help yourself (leaving something in a tip jar if you so choose).

I've had a lot of barbecue in Austin from some well-regarded purveyors, but La Barbecue's offering was a real stand-out. It's a bit pricey, but worth it.

1  Thank MichiganBanjoMan

Reviewed February 23, 2014

After reading reviews on Tripadvisor, my husband & I tried La Barbecue this morning. Got there around 9:45 - we were the first ones there, chatted with staff about the ordering procedure, etc., and had a seat at an outdoor table. People slowly started trickling in, and before long, the "line-up" was in effect. We ordered a lot of meat - 1 lb. of brisket, 1 lb. of pork spareribs, 1 lb. of beef short ribs, and 1 lb. of pulled pork; also the chipotle cole slaw, and the bacon potato salad. Okay, so here goes . . . the brisket is orgasmically good, as is the pulled pork. Pork ribs okay, and the beef rib - well, it was one big rib - practically a Brontosaurus rib in fact. Having said that, it was a waste of money as it was a lot of fat, bone, and other inedible "stuff". What was edible was tasty, but not worth $18.99. I didn't care for the potato salad as I found it to be salty - no doubt a result of all that bacon, and the chipotle cole slaw was too spicy for me, but my husband liked it. This place does quite the business, and good for the young guys that run it - they do a fantastic job. Great service, and mighty tasty barbecue - I would definitely go again.
Note, that we picked the food up and brought it home to eat, although they do have picnic tables there for outdoor dining. As a previous reviewer stated - a meat-lover's dream!! Cost for all the goodies we bought - just over $86.00.

1  Thank travelynx00
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I'm a foodie and I came here for lunch after reading reviews on TA and elsewhere. My companion is a huge barbecue fan also. The meats we enjoyed today were outstanding and the entire experience marks the highlight of our 4 day viz to Austin. We arrived on Friday at 1045, the line was already forming. By 11am the line was winding down the sidewalk. Food begins serving at 11am, and we enjoyed a free beer from the keg while in line. At 1130 we were paying for our try of meat and ready to dig in! The two of us ordered one beef rib, 1/3 lb fatty brisket, and one special sausage, along with a side of potato salad and cole slaw. Extra garnishes of pickle, onion, and white bread are provided. Our bill was $48., before tip. This was the best $25. Lunch I've ever had. I love beef ribs and have had some tasty ones over the years but none came close to surpassing these. The rib was large and meaty, just the right amt of fat, smoked to a wonderful juicy tenderness, and had a perfect light crusty char on the outside edges. Biting into it was heaven, loads of flavor and sweet smokiness as I enjoyed the sweet and delectable treat. The extra time and prep going into their BQ smoking process is very evident. The brisket was equally good, we opted for the fatty brisket and were not disappointed. The 'fatty' reference refers to an appropriate amount of fat running thru the meat, not excesssive fat. Just enough to give it a sweet, rich flavor. The brisket was excellent, full flavored, smoky and tender. The house made sausage link was very good, not too hot, nor too mild, just right amount of spice and very tasty. This place is an absolute gem! I'm told they have music on Sat. Wow, what fun that would add! The entire experience was just heavenly-- so much fun chatting with friendly diners sharing your picnic table. Some, like us, coming from thousands of miles away for their first experience; others, local denizens, returned for the 3 or 4th visit, simply cuz the food is so fine! What fun, what food! What a time we had! I will return to austin just to visit this place! It should be on everyone,s To Do list while in the Austin area... Come hungry, ready to feast on the finest. We heard rumors they sell out, so don't be too late to get in line... Windows begin food service at 11am.

1  Thank kirbyfredstpaul
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We arrived there before noon and there was already a long line. It took us more than 1h30 to get food... I mean, at that time they sold out almost everything: no beef or pork ribs and no pulled pork... We had few options: brisket and sausage. I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes to eat their brisket or sausage because they are not worth it.
The organization is terrible. Food run out after 1h... Super slow service... Nothing good about it.

1  Thank HelenaGuerra
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Saw that they were #1 and drove by to eat on a Saturday afternoon at 4pm. Not only is this place in what appears to be the low income side of town, but there was no parking and they were already out of food! We did not get to eat. Also Franklin bbq was vacant and closed as well. Going to Salt Lick!

1  Thank Will G

Been to La Barbecue? Share your experiences!