“Excellent! ”

Ranked #57 of 3,853 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: W. 24th St.
Transit: North and South bound bus stop on northwest corner of 24th and San Gabriel.
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Great food, service and ambiance. Feel good, and eat good! Freedmen's is top notch. Be sure to taste a bit of everything. Enjoy! Go!

1  Thank Jpdetar

Reviewed June 11, 2014

Freedmen's is a barbecue restaurant with a more modern menu and very unusual and interesting cocktails. The outdoor seating is well managed and great for families, indoors features a beautiful bar and an upstairs party room. This is Texas food with a twist in a hip atmosphere.

1  Thank zanzara64
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My quest: find the best brisket in Austin within 4 days.

Freedmens did not disappoint. To be fair to Franklins, we didn't have the patience to wait in line and after talking to a group of locals at Craft Pride, we decided to try Freedmens.

Brisket 5 stars: Tender and moist brisket that was so tender, I shuddered with every bite. My favorite brisket thus far. (The other great brisket I had that was beat by a slender margin was Lambert's in Austin). One day I'll have to try Franklins to truly compare.

Sausage 4.5 stars: I'm not a huge fan of sausage (insert dirty jokes here) and this was really delicious. Fatty flavorful meat bulging from the crisp casing.

Pork rib 5 stars: no need for sauce with these flavorful fall off the bone ribs.

German potato salad 4 stars: vinegar/stock based warm potato salad was like a tangy savory mashed potato. Very good.

Atmosphere 4.5 stars: love the feel of the bar area - distinct historic feeling with clean renovations.

Service 4.5 stars: our bartender was friendly and attentive. We went at 2 pm so it was pretty empty. Food came out in a flash!

1  Thank luv2travel_whoohoo
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Came here for lunch and . . . wow. I like spicy food, but the German potatoes at this place were nearly inedible due to an overuse of pepper. The smoked brisket was very good, however.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I'm english and having just hit the US I was looking for a real taste of the US. Got the Holy Trinity platter at Freedmans. Just incredible. Never seen so much meat. I couldn't finish it. The beer is excellent too. The staff were very friendly - all smiles. I strongly recommend. Enjoy!

2  Thank worldofjimbob

Been to Freedmen's Bar? Share your experiences!