“Looks are deceiving! Excellent dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Clark's Oyster Bar

Clark's Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Clark's Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #128 of 3,683 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Blanco
Florida
“Looks are deceiving! Excellent dining”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Drive down 6th St, and you spot yellow striped awnings with people sitting outside at tables and a rail bar - looks like a hot dog stand, but no! The best meal we had in Austin! I suggest you make a reservation, the place is small...we came on a Monday night early and got the last table, which was outside. Inside is sleek & clean lines. we started with raw oysters, Wellspoint, delicious. Our waiter, Eric, was very knowledgeable. With the beer, I was brought a small taster when I couldn't decide about the Heffeweisen (which I then ordered and it too was delicious & fresh). Between us, we had the wood roasted oysters (fat and plump with bacon & bread crumbs & perfect seasoning, 5 to the plate), the shells with cheese & crab (Fabulous), the New England clam chowder (possibly the best we have had anywhere) and the finale, the Basque tart with cherries & cream cheese ice cream (killer!!!!!). I can't say enough good things about this place. The food, the service ,all wonderful.

Italy
“Shhhh . . . new, hot place to eat in Austin!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Okay, so here's the deal . . . there a (6) tables. However, there is plenty of bar seating and outdoor "rail" seating. The food is EXCELLENT and the atmosphere is a "true" dining experience as opposed to the usual "American" belief that food should be slammed and not tasted. The staff at Clark's actually encourages you to ENJOY your food and STAY until YOU are ready to leave! Bright idea! The mussels, clams, grilled fish, salad, etc were perfect. For dessert there was a cake that tasted like a cross between a pound cake and a lemon cookie from the Island of Capri . . . this thing almost made us cry it was so good! And, they topped it with dark, rich cherries . . . When you visit, be prepared for a crowd and don't try to "push" your agenda of getting in right away . . . this is an "experience" . . . so enjoy!

Austin, Texas
“New Austin Vibe”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This place represents new Austin. The vibe is more New York City or Italy. Small tight place. We walked in at 8pm on Monday and ate at the middle table in the bar area. Food is fresh and good. A bit high in price but I think you are paying for the experience more than the food. At the price I would expect the wait staff to be a tad better. Understand we are at the bar vs a table but that doesn't mean we deserve any less service as we are paying the same price. I had to ask for my salad to be returned as they came out with dressing all over it when I stated twice on the side. Additionally, my husband was going to take a bite of my salad and didn't want one of his own. The waiter heard that and split the salad onto two plates. Fine ok until we saw they charged us a $1 to do that. OK really not that big of a deal but not what we requested and salad already $12. Wine list has good selection. Wish had a few more choices by the glass as it was a Monday night and didn't want entire bottle. Being March I think it is fine to eat outside and we would have if tables free. Summer months it will be way to hot. At least half of their tables are outside. As we sat in the bar could see the food coming out and even being cooked. Food not an issue. I actually look forward to having more of it. Staff a bit of a problem for me. Didn't like the attitude of the hostess to water guys. Living here for 40 years this is the new Austin and I must change with it. However, I think I will take my dollars else where for a bit. Probably give them a try later if they last. Total bill was $122 for dozen oysters, wedge salad, clam chowder, mussels main course and two glasses of wine. Would like to give higher ranking based on food but overall just average with the staff.

Austin, Texas
“A new gem n Austin”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

As the smaller brother of Austin;'s renowned La Perla's seafood Clark's bar comes across with a perfect atmosphere of modern sea-faring with maritime colors on furniture and the floor, also the staff dresses up in matching colors. Very clean, small and tight it does not feel Texan at all, it feels very sophisticated, more Euro or New York. The outdoor tables are made of solid wood with matching chairs with yacht-style cushion. Outdoor seating is probably only good in winter as their patio point South with a lot of sun coming in until it sets.

The food selection is seafood. For the guests who shouldn't have gone there in the first place there is a steak and a burger on the menu, which feels displaced. We had mussels and cioppino, all well balanced, nicely spiced and superbly presented. They have a caviar selection from around the world (no Iranian though) at the usual high prices for caviar (50g for 150$). In quality their caviar selection ends at Ossetra (which is perfectly fine). Wine list is short and goes by region name, which will require a little wine knowledge to pick what you like. Prices are high but worth every dollar.

Couldn't try all at the same time. They have also a whole fish from the grill, which makes them very special and unique in the country of indistinguishable "fish-filet".

• Visited February 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Must Stop in Austin!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

So much fun! We ate outside which is always a treat; our service was excellent, a really fun waiter who had great suggestions and really knew the menu, wine & drink lists really well.
Now onto the food........simply outstanding......every single bite.

Visited February 2013