“Very friendly staff. A great Hampton Inn.”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I've stayed in many Hampton Inns; most are pretty ho-hum and don't merit an online review. This newer one in central Austin stands out for a couple of reasons.

First, the staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful (thanks Matt at the front desk!). We stayed during F1 weekend and even received evening treats at turndown -- chocolate-covered strawberries one night, race car-shaped cookies the next. I can't think of another HI that even does turndown service (maybe that was unique to F1 weekend?).

Second, the owner/developer is committed to local artists. They even have a brochure describing all the local art pieces scattered throughout the hotel. The lobby is well-designed and features a nice graffiti mural. If they just installed a bar, the lobby experience would rival those of much more expensive hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank denver_mg
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Denver_mg,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor review. I appreciate the 5 circle score and recognizing our "friendly staff". Thank you for giving Kudos to Matt, it is great to hear great things about specific employees. Thank you for detailing out your response to the specifics of our hotel decor and design. Our owner takes great pride in the city of Austin and has captured the pulse of the city in this Hampton Inn & Suites design! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Regards,

Sean Fitzgerald

Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying at many properties in my business career and Hampton Inn & Suites Austin has stolen my heart and my business!! Service, service, service! This shabby chic property will give Four Seasons a run for the money that's for sure! Quick response to every beckon call, lush accommodations, gorgeous appointments and clever nuiances at every turn, a delicious daily breakfast, stunning rooftop pooldeck & gym-WITH a view of the Capitol! Not many can stake that claim!
Location, location,location!! Want to tour the Capitol, walk a few minutes. Want to hit the UT football game or tailgate - no need for a cab there either! Want Tex-Mex, Chili, Indian, you name it, all amazing restaraunts within WALKING distance.
Service, location, staff, parking, wi-fi-EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR A 5 STAR EXPERIENCE!
Do not waste time reading another review, book it Dan-o!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Kristabarresi,

Thank you for the kind words on tripadvisor!! I appreciate your detailed description of our hotel and surrounding area. I was glad to see our staff and hotel exceeded your expectations and look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We decided to take a four day trip to Austin, just to see the sights and get away. Booked this Hampton Inn based on the reviews and we weren't disappointed. The hotel and room were both clean and comfortable. The lobby and hallways managed to look more like a boutique hotel than a chain. It's a bit of a walk to things - the hotel is on Lavaca, past the capital, so you have a good 20 minute walk to 6th and another 20 to South Congress. The weather was so great, we didn't mind, but it's definitely a hike. Our room had a balcony and looked out on Lavaca - there was a good bit of street construction but it actually didn't cause much noise, so I don't imagine it would be loud at all on a non-construction day. Staff were so friendly. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear cs79,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you read previous reviews and made your choice of hotels based on those reviews. I was also happy to see that we lived up to your expectations. Thank you for recognizing that our staff was friendly and that we are centrally located near all Austin has to offer. We look forward to your return visit.

Regards,

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I chose this hotel due to the reviews and was very pleased.
The hotel is on 17th street so a bit of a walk to 6street entertainment area but on a nice day or evening it's a nice walk. It is also about the same distance to the LBJ museum on the university of Texas campus. Great Mexican cantina across the street and the Texas Chili Parlour (going strong after 36 years) is just down the street.
The front door is a bit odd as its a single door on the side of the building as the double entrance doors are off the parking garage entrance. Parking is below ground and secure but 19.00 per day. Anyway, check in was very efficient. Very nice staff.
Our room was wonderful. On the 8th floor with great views of the university and Capitol building.
Upon entering, there was a small full bar kitchen being a fridge, microwave, bar sink and coffee maker. This opened onto a great sitting area at one end and king bed at the other separated by a desk as a divider in the middle. The TV swivels from side to side for viewing from either room area.
There are two really big windows and the room has very high ceilings so it seems even bigger. I'd loved to get one their gorgeous high back leather chairs. Stunning. Would really like glass glasses though. Glass coffee mugs were good.
Breakfast is very pleasant. Fresh fruit was a nice touch. Really enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a view and if you can swing it, get a corner room with a balcony. Pool area looked awesome.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Dear Grums,

Thank you for the feeback on tripadvisor. I appreciate the detailed response and especially appreciate the 5 circle rating. I will let your response speakf for itself. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We spent 2 nights here at the start of a longer tour of Texas. The hotel is only short walk from the city centre bars and night-life, as well as the Capitol. The staff were also very friendly. Breakfast was good, with Texas-shaped waffles - and the rooms were nicely-decorated and modern, although our room looked out onto a central alcove, which meant we had to keep our curtains closed and there was no natural light. The shower was a very good size, but our hairdryer didn't work and it would have been nice to have had it replaced after pointing it out.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear legionaire,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I appreciate you recognizing that our staff is friendly. It sounds as though you were in one of our atrium rooms, which are the quietest in the hotel. I was dispaointed to hear that your hairdryer didn't work and will take action on why we didn't get it fixed once you reported it. We take great pride in taking care of guests needs and was sorry that we did not accomplish this on your stay. Please contact me upon a future stay and we will make it up to you.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

The staff was excellent and I could find no fault with the hotel or the room. The location is extremely convenient to campus. My conference had reserved rooms in the AT&T center about 1.5 blocks down Lavaca, but this was easily as good.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear James T,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. It makes me so proud when a guest recognizes our "excellent staff". Our staff works hard and takes great pride in makeing guests experience at our hotel a positive one, and I was glad to see we accomplished this!. Thank you! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I booked a last minute overnight at this hotel, largely because of reviews on here and the price was right for downtown Austin hotels.

The lobby and public areas are far more impressive than the pictures and the hotel rating would lead you to believe.

My check in with a lovely friendly member of staff was quick and efficient. I wanted a later check-out and nothing was a problem. It was a nice touch to receive a welcome phone call when I had been in the room to check how things were with the room and if I had any issues.

My room was a King suite which was a really smart room. Compared to hotels of a vastly greater cost and star rating this room came out trumps in the bedroom/sitting room areas. The fittings were stylish, the artwork was local and interesting - not standard cheap hotel prints. A real surprise

The bathroom vanity area was tidy and well stocked- the shower/bath is the only area that was a bit old looking but this is a 3 diamond hotel not 4 or 5.

Good little kitchenette. It would have been nice to have had a basic set of cutlery and plates.

The fitness centre is small but clean, has a few treadmills, cross trainers and free weights. The swimming pool area is ok, clean but overlooks a car park and is much smaller than it appears in the pictures...again 3 diamond not 4 or 5

The location is top - right in Downtown close to the city lake/Congress St bridge and 6th street, easy to walk around and very accessible to a load of restaurants. There is a fair bit of building work going on around which would impede some room views, mine was fine out over the horizon. Nice.

The breakfast is pretty standard fare for this class of hotel BUT it is nicely laid out, with plenty of options and represents very good value if you want to eat your fill.

Room Tip: King suite east facing high floor
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear jem10nz,

I was happy to read your feedback on tripadvisor. I was delilghted to see that you booked after reading the reviews. I agree in regards to the pictures of our lobby and public areas do not do this hotel justice! I agree that our rooms are the best in the city and offer some unique feature that other hotels just don't have. I.e. the 11 foot ceiling with 12 foot windows, ceiling fans, and a truly unique Austin decor. I agree that our location is centrally located near all Austin has to offer. Thank you for mentioning our Hampton on the house breakfast. We look forward to your next stay with us!