Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Maryland
“Great hotel”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Located right next to UTA, this hotel was a great place to stay. Exceptionally friendly front desk, who welcomed us back each time we stepped out, and comfortable rooms make this place a no brained for the next time we are in town. Near Guadeloupe street restaurants and about 11 blocks to the 6th street bars and pubs, this place is also just a few blocks from the state capital building. Rooms were great, and housekeeping was perfect. Stay here!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear AlshasHubby,

thank you for the kind words in regards to the "exceptionally friendly front desk". I was happy to see that you had a "great" experience at our hotel and that you found our location next to the University of Texas to be excellent. I was happy to read your review and will pass on the high marks to the staff. Thank you for responding to tripadvisor and we look forward to your next stay with us!

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
New York, NY
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We were warmly greeted when we arrived at the Hampton Inn. The lobby is spacious and decorated in a fun music theme. The room was very comfortable and the vaulted ceilings made it seem extra large. The included breakfast and wi fi add to it's value. The front desk staff cheerily assisting me by printing out information from the internet that I needed. The hotel is a short walk or drive from the UT campus.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear 26travelfam,

Thank you for the great rating and responding to tripadvisor. I was happy to see that you were warmly greeted by our staff. I was happy to see that you appreciated our tall ceilings and took advantake of our complimentary breakfast. We look forward to your next visit to Austin.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great place to stay! Rooms and property are current and very well maintained. Pool, exercise room, etc. are very nice. Staying at many Hampton Inns - I would put this at the top of the list. Just as seen on the YouTube video. Highly recommend for those coming to Austin.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stevemathis,

Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you felt that our property is a "great place" to stay. Thank you for noticing that our property is well maintained. Thank you for putting this at the top of the list of Hampton Inn's you have stayed in. We look forward to your next visit to Austin.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great location close to UT and capital. The hotel is fresh and clean with nice amenities, workout room, pool and stair climbing! Breakfast is included, highly convenient and served in their lovely lobby breakfast area. At least it's more than a piece of toast but could be better. We enjoyed our stay there. The rooms are really nice with high ceilings, comfortable beds, and my favorite... soft down pillows!

Dear Tripadvisor member,

thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I appreciate your comments on our hotel being fresh and clean with nice amenities. I was happy to see you enjoyed our workout room, pool, and stair climbing machine. I appreciate your comments on our rooms. I agree we have great rooms, comfortable beds and soft down pillows. We look forward to your next visit with us in Austin.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Just returned from a one-night stay at the Hampton Inn @ the Capitol/University area. Overall, this Hampton Inn is pretty nice and a cut above many others. The staff at the front desk were very professional, used my name, thanked me for my business, and were courteous. They are obviously well-trained in customer service and other hotels should take a lesson. The lobby/seating area is attractive, although we didn't really use it.

I don't give this hotel an excellent rating due to a couple issues in the room. The carpet was obviously not vacuumed, as I found a couple those plastic things that stores use to attach price tags to garments on the floor, and it just didn't seem as clean as I've seen at other hotels. A minor issue, but we noticed it, none-the-less. The major issue was the a/c unit. It is pretty noisy, and because it was turning on and cutting off all throughout the night, it kept me awake and I got almost no sleep. I tend to be a light sleeper and most noises wake me up. Also, we had an adjoining room, and in the middle of the night, we could hear the guy in the connecting room talking and see the light coming from under the connecting door. The pillows were kinda lumpy and didn't lend themselves to putting me into dreamland like feather pillows do.

The location is great, the rooms are nice size, and the beds are comfortable, so if you're not a light sleeper, you'll probably love this hotel.
Also, $19 per night to park in the garage is a bit high in my opinion.

Dear _flyguy97,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you felt our front desk staff was professional, courteous, and used your name in your hotel interactions. I was disappointed to see that our housekeeping issues prevented us from obtaining an excellent rating. Thank you for pointing out our flaws. We will "re*train" our housekeeper that cleaned your room and work on improving. We are working with the manufacturer of the AC units to see if there is a solution to the AC unit turning and off throughout the night. I was happy to see you enjoyed the room and location. We will work hard to improve on the challenges you had with our property.

California
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Very "Austin" with an urban contemporary design. The rooms have high ceilings, huge windows and even a ceiling fan. Breakfast was a slight step-up from the usual Hampton Inn fare and it was managed well. I generally hate paying for hotel parking but it's a five minute walk to both the Capitol and the University of Texas and there is no free parking anywhere around there, so $15 a night is reasonable and very convenient.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear DaBoys,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor! Thank you for noticing our "Austin" urban contemporary design. Our owner and employee's take great pride in this hotel and appreciate that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for understaning downtown parking as we are right in the middle of our competitors and we do have a great location. We look forward to your next visit to Austin!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Best Hampton Inn in the country. In every way. It's a beautiful hotel, wonderfully designed for business travelers. It's obvious that a huge amount of thought went into the rooms. While the nightly rate is high, it's well worth it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Dear tripadvisor member,

thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor. Thank you for your kind words about our hotel being "the best hotel in the country". Thank you for noticing our wonderful design and acknowledging that a lot of thought went into these rooms. We look forward to your next visit to Austin.