“Highly Recommended”

Ranked #4 of 201 Hotels in Austin
A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Best Hampton Inn in the country. In every way. It's a beautiful hotel, wonderfully designed for business travelers. It's obvious that a huge amount of thought went into the rooms. While the nightly rate is high, it's well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear tripadvisor member,

thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor. Thank you for your kind words about our hotel being "the best hotel in the country". Thank you for noticing our wonderful design and acknowledging that a lot of thought went into these rooms. We look forward to your next visit to Austin.

GM

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was a lovely place to stay in March, very friendly and a lovely room with a great view over to the Capitol. Breakfast was OK - loved the Texas-shaped waffle iron! Service was pretty good too. Would certainly recommend. Bit of an issue forwarding some clothes on that had been accidentally left behind, but sorted out in the end.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear charmlessNerk,

Thank you for responding to tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback. Thank you for your kind words about our friendly staff and lovely room. We look forwrd to your next stay with us.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

From July 11th - 13th, we stayed in room 305, 2 doors from the ice machine; 2 flights down from the pool/gym/laundry area; 2 flights up from the main lobby. We took the stairs to get around quickly, since we weren't keen on waiting for the elevator during the breakfast and after hours peak rush. The pool was narrow for my varsity swimmers, but was refreshing enough after a long hot day. Nice pool deck and cabana lounges - open from (6 am?) until 10 pm, with a shower head to rinse off right next to the pool. Laundry room ($1.50) and bathroom just inside the hotel re-entry foyer. Nice sized and comfortable double beds with a mini fridge (no microwave) in the room. Shower / tub had adequate pressure/ stream - only complaint was the water pooled out in the corner closest to the toilet. Nice toiletries- shamp/cond/lotion and mouthwash. Neutral decor, bench seat, desk and 2 chairs. Curtains were hard to open/close without a wand stick, and didn't have a sheer curtain as an alternative to the thick drapes, which viewed the Lavaca Street "El Mercado" restaurant just outside. As far as parking, we were able to forego the $19 daily fee, and simply parked outside, using the meters (quarter / 15 mins.), since we were never indoors for more than 2 hrs stretches. There's also a corner parking lot for $7 daily, with a self-paying slot box after hours. Highly recommend Chi'lantro BBQ food truck which parks in various locations - check their site - and was at Rio Grande & 24th for us, as well as Franklin's BBQ which is just across the highway overpass, a few streets down, closer to the Congress Ave (bats) bridge, is Amy's Ice creamon W. 6th Street. Just across is SoCo (South Congress) where Homeslice Pizza(best outside of NY -my hometonw) and Gemma Love's Jamaican food truck, near Gibson and Congress. Breakfast was the usual eggs, home fries, cheese omelettes, sausage, make-your-own waffles, and the basic fruits, cereal, yogurt, breads for toasting. Self-serve, juice and coffee. I'm a vegetarian, healthy eater avoiding high sodium/fat, so I would have rather had scrambled eggs without cheese, fresh salsa (they had packets) and real maple (or at least syrup without High Fructose Corn Syrup) for my waffles. Still a better deal than paying $$$ for fattier food at the local pancake or breakfast stop. I'll stay here again, because the price is right,especially compared to smaller boutiques and B&Bs. The location is just outside the main thoroughfare to be quiet enough to sleep at night, but still close enough to everything of interest. The evening desk rep was kind enough to remind me that the laundry room automatically shuts down at 10 pm?,since I asked for change just before 10 pm.He didn't want me to I be stuck with a half-washed load. Now that's customer service! We'll come back again.

Room Tip: Anywhere on the 3rd floor, near the elevator. Rooms overlooking the pool have balconies, but probabl...

Dear NYCMomintheBurbs,

Thank you for your very descriptive feedback on tripadvisor. I will let your comments speak for themselves. I appreciate you taking the time to describe your experience at our hotel. I was delighted to read that you will be back and that you recommend our hotel. We look forward to your next visit to Austin!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Took a chance never staying here and it was well worth it. The hotel was very unique and clean but the customer service was over the top. At check in YaYa and Matt inquired about our visit and we told them we were celebrating our 25th with a night on 6th street. We were in our room when YaYa showed up with a bottle of wine, glasses, and goodie bag with a personal note. Later they arranged for a private ride to drop us off in the middle of 6th street. My wife and I were taken back with such great service and will use this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shirl W
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Shirl W.

Thank you for the kind words. It is posts like these that make a manager extremely happy. While we have a unique and great building and location. Our staff makes the difference. We look foward to your next stay.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here for a few days in HOT July. My second floor room had a patio with two chairs and a table - the patio overlooked the street: an interesting view. I'm an early riser so it was an excellent place to get a few hours of work done while enjoying my morning coffee, fresh air and a nice breeze. The rest of the room was comfortable. My shower had only scalding hot water but the hotel quickly fixed the problem. The staff were friendly and helpful - gave us great advice on where to eat, places to see on campus and beyond. For the price, this was a good value in an excellent location to visit UT or the Capitol area. While this trip was with family I plan to return soon for business and will stay here for sure.

Dear dysphorichousewife,

Thank you for your respone on tripadvisor. I was glad to see that you enjoyed one of our patio rooms and that our staff was helpful during your stay. I was glad to see that you received good value and took advantage of our complimentary breakfast and location next to U.T. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Sincerley,

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I just returned from a visit to Austin and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this Hampton Inn in downtown Austin. The rooms were spotless with big bathrooms and high ceilings. They had all the amenities ( large flat screen TV / iron-board refrigerator etc) and they made a real effort to make my stay comfortable. Great breakfast served in the AM and the perfect location for accessing downtown Austin ( the city that wants to be "weird") and the many entertainment venues in close proximity ( walking distance). I had a little problem with the internet when I first arrived but it seemed to get sorted out by my second day. The staff were very professional and welcoming . I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone.

1  Thank bones54
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Bones54,

Thank you for your response on tripadvisor. I was glad to see that you were "pleasantly surprised" at the quality of our Hampton Inn & Suites! Thank you for noticing our "spotless" rooms and appreciating our high ceilings and big bathrooms. I was extremely happy to see that you enjoyed our "great" complimentary breakfast. I agree that our staff was professional and welcoming and look forward to your return visit. I will look into our internet running slow and appreciate the note on tripadvisor.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I was extremely impressed with the seventh floor corner King suite offered to me. It was gorgeous with a great view. I have stayed at many Hampton Inns and this room was absolutely superior to any I have encountered thus far and at a very reasonable price. The modest parking fee is reasonable as well for a city hotel. I was allowed to check in at noon having arrived much earlier than expected. I was looking forward to exploring the capitol and taking the river walk during my overnight stay, but I ended up checking out shortly after checking in because the internet speed was not adequate for my work needs. My room speed tested at only 600 - 800 kbps. The lobby wireless speed was faster, but still only about 1.7 mbps. Wireless only is offered in this hotel. A faster ethernet connection is not available. So, unfortunately, I didn't get to stay overnight, but I can tell you that the room, lobby area, and parking are all very good. The manager was very nice in her attempts to resolve my connection speed issues. I would hope that a hotel in a town with so many technology companies would seek to upgrade internet connectivity for its guests. This is a common problem in hotels. In contrast, I am presently writing this review from a Las Vegas hotel with wired download speeds of 16 mbps. Here I can stream pretty much any movie or TV show I want and download larger work files easily and efficiently. Not so at Hampton Austin University, but I would otherwise highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Southwest_traveller9,

Thank yoiu for the descriptive comments on tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed our 7th floor room with great views. I was disapointed that our internet connection speed was a bit slow and had an impact on your stay. We are looking into increasing our capabilities to improve our internet. I have rarely had issues with the internet speed but understand that it is critical to getting work done.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to improving our intenet speed.