“Lovely Hotel with Great Staff”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #4 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I spent the weekend with my boys in Austin to watch our Minnesota Gophers play in the NCAA tournament as well as to check out UT for my high school Junior.

The Hampton Inn was in a great location for the tournament – just a short walk to the Frank Erwin Center. Upon arrival, we were greeted graciously by Kyle at the front desk. Kyle was very helpful and is clear that he enjoys his job. He greeted my teenaged boys in a friendly manner and they chatted about sporting teams. He also had great recommendations for local restaurants that were teen-friendly.

Our room was spacious, clean and had a small kitchen which came in handy with two hungry boys. We were very happy with the room and housekeeping. The bed was super comfy. We took advantage of sleeping in late so we did not make it down to the breakfast bar. I heard from other guests that it was very good.

The location of the hotel is near the UT campus. It was fine for our stay, but note that it is a drive or cab ride to the more bustling area of Austin where you will find more restaurant choices and night life.

I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a nice, quiet place to stay in Austin.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Hotelsnobmpls,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for the kind words about our staff. I agree Kyle is a great employee and I appreciate that you took the time to compliment his hospitality. We were happy to see you enjoyed his recomendations and the rooms with our high ceilings, and beautiful decor. Also, thank you for the kindwords in regards to our breakfast bar. We believe we have a great location where you can enjoy the University and or the entertainment district. We look forward to your next visit.

GM

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had a great short stay in March. Two blocks from UT campus, easy walking access. Hotel entrance and parking lot off of 17th street. Underground parking was pricey but convenient ($19/nt). Staff was super all around; very friendly and accomodating. New hotel with good WiFi in rooms and lobby; comfortable lobby; standard but quality Hampton hot breakfast. Better than expected fitness room. No restaurant on site, but several places within walking distance.

Spacious rooms, clean with comfortable beds, efficient AC and nice TV's with cable but no in-room movies. We had no issues with housekeeping service. In-room coffee, ironing board and hair-dryer. No in-room safe; which was the only thing I missed on this trip.

Location is excellent for visiting UT or the Capitol. Highly recommended. We will definitely stay here again when visiting the campus.

Room Tip: fitness center and pool are on 5th floor; potentially more traffic
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Unicomn,

Thank you for your response on tripadvior.com! We appreciate your feedback. I am glad you found our hotel AWESOME! We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at this property last week with some friends and really liked its edgy design. Everything was spotlessly clean, modern, and fresh. We got a room on the front with a huge balcony which we enjoyed. Some have complained about the noise, but even though we were only on the second floor, we didn't find it a problem. The beds were very comfortable and we slept well. I loved the high ceilings and appreciated having lots of light flooding in the large windows.

This hotel is proof that 'new' doesn't have to mean 'dull' and we loved the mix of artwork and industrial design.

I went back and forth between very good and excellent because:

1. I'm not a fan of non-cotton sheets
2. Breakfast was disappointing...it had lots of variety but the hot option was unappealing
3. Pool was closed

We were travelling with friends and it would have been nice to have a lobby bar in which to meet for a drink, but there are places nearby. The location is super and there are some excellent restaurants in walking distance. (Try the Italian place across the street!)

As a frequent visitor to Austin, I've stayed in many of the area hotels and really like this Hampton Inn. My quibbles above aside, it really was a great place to stay and I've already booked two return visits in the next few weeks!

Room Tip: Travelling with friends, we enjoyed a balcony room as a fun place to meet up.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jMacL

Dear JMacl,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to trip advisor! Thank you for the compliments on our edgy design & cleanliness. Our rooms are as quiet as any in the city, on occasion when Austin hosts larger entertainment weekends the city can get loud and on occasion we have guests that may be louder then usual. We do provide security and address any noise issues immediately. Interesting you mentined that you do not like cotton sheets. We have upgraded microfiber sheets that are an upgrade to our rooms. Breakfast is the Hampton Standard with more options, I sorry our breakfast did not meet your expectations. I do apologize that our pool was closed. We had a leak and needed to repair it. The pool is up and running and we look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Loft-like rooms decorated with sleek, handsome furnishings are just the start of the many reasons the Hampton Inn & Suites @ The University/Capitol isn't "your Father's Hampton Inn". This new downtown hotel has a unique Austin vibe to it that sets it apart from any other of its kind I've ever seen. The public areas contain trendy, custom art, including a wall of "graffiti".
Upon checking in on a late Friday night, I was upgraded to a large corner suite that contained tremendous views of the Texas Capitol view from the floor-to-ceiling windows. The front-desk staff is top-notch - they even remembered and called my name when I passed through the lobby the next morning. While enjoying the complimentary breakfast the next morning, the hotel's general manager, Sean, stopped by to ask my friends and me if we were enjoying our stay and to inquire if he could do anything for us. This is the type of service that sets this Hampton Inn apart, in my opinion. And just for the record, I am a pretty picky hotel customer, usually staying at 5-star hotels when I travel. More like a boutique hotel than your typical "chain" establishment, I will definitely stay at this hotel again upon my next visit to Austin.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank UncleVictor
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Uncle Victor,

Thank you for the kind words on tripadvisor about your stay. I agree tht this is not my "father's Hampton Inn". I was delighted that you were able to appreciate the unique austin art and feel. We believe we are more of a boutique hotel and that our rooms are the best in the city! I agree that our front desk staff is top notch and they take great pride in making every guest happy. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

By far the BEST Hampton Inn hotel I've ever stayed it. It feels more like an upscale Hilton than a Hampton Inn. The rooms have 12ft ceiling and an amazing view on the balcony. The staff is incredibly accommodating and extremely friendly! If in Austin be sure to stay here!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear KevMeh,

Thank you for the kind words on tripadvisor. I was glad to see that you thought our hotel was " the BEST Hampton Inn hotel you have ever stayed in" We agree and appreciate you taking the time to let us know. Thank you for the notes on our staff, they take great pride in their work! We look forward to having you stay with us in the future!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My room had very high ceilings and was very clean. I enjoyed having the ceiling fan to keep the air in the room moving. I had a room with a balcony but was unable to use it due to the winds gusting at up to 59 mph during my stay! Located on the north side of the capital.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Liz j,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed our stay and that you enjoyed the tall ceilings. Those gusty winds were a challenge and I was sorrry to hear that you could not enjoy the balcony. Please let me know next time you are in town and I will do my best to get you a balcony room. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here for SXSWI and it was great to be away from the crowds, but close enough for a good walk to downtown. The room was big, well designed and appointed, (same for the bath) and that bed... I think one of the comfiest beds I've ever been in. Great views from the 7th floor, and I had a balcony terrace! The workout room was fine. The continental breakfast was the least favorable thing about the place. Could use some fresh rethinking. BUT, the staff was helpful and friendly. With zipcar, you can usually find one right around the area, for any trekking you'd do.

Room Tip: corner rooms rock.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Dan B,

Thank you for taking the time to post on tripadvisor. I couldn't agree with you more. I appreciate that you noticed that we LOVE our location. You can get into the entertainment with a short walk without being part of it. Overall, SXSW was fantastic and we were glad to have you stay with us. I agree, our beds are fantastic and make for a great night sleep. I agree about our breakfast and will work with our staff to see if we can come up with something better. We look forward to your next stay with us.