Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My friend and I stayed here from 2/17-2/22. What a wonderful experience!

Location- the location is perfect! Seriously a five minute walk to the Capitol, a 5 minute walk to the University area, and a 10/15 minute walk to Congress Street/Downtown/6th Street. An excellent way to walk off.......

THE BREAKFAST!- my friend and I adored this spread. It makes every penny worth it. I think we each had about 4 meals each morning! The oatmeal, fruit, waffles, etc, all wonderful. The "ToGo" bags were great as well since they included essential water bottles, perfect to bring when trekking around Austin!

The Staff- I feel like I abused my phone privileges on this trip, calling down to the front desk about 5 times a day. But they helped me with everything I needed! Printing directions to San Antonio, helping us choose where to get pizza, information about the gym, etc. If we annoyed the staff they never let on! : )

Other- useful fitness facility, a rooftop that offers unparalleled views of the Austin skyline (I actually had a dream about it last night, the Capitol building illuminated at night, is breathtaking!), an excellent sundries shop, coffee available 24 hours a day, and the most comfortable beds you will ever sleep in (it felt like I was sleeping on a cloud!)

Now I am back in Boston and wish I could still call 1701 Lavaca home! If I ever return to Austin that will be where I'm heading. Should any friends or family need a recommendation as to where to stay in Austin I will without hesitation suggest this Hampton. Thank you to all staff members, cheers from Massachusetts!

1  Thank ForzaRocca
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear FozaRocca,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor. I was thrilled to see that you thought our hotel was "perfection". Our hotel is unique and we take great pride in working to "keep austin weird" and give our guests a fantastic experience. I agree that we have a fantastic location! We have a great breakfast and appreciate that you took the time to describe it. Our staff takes great pride in taking care of guests request and was glad to see that we were able to help you needed. I was delighted to see that you want to make our hotel your new home.

Cheers,

Sean Fitzgerald

Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed February 22, 2013

My college-bound son and I stayed here from 2/17-2/20. The location cannot be beat if you're visiting the University of Texas, and since the hotel has only been open 4 months, I figured it would have to be good. It was average.

The first night, we did not have hot water; after a very lengthy travel day, this was an unwelcomed surprise. "Emily" at the front desk handled it very well, and promptly moved us to a new room. She acknowledged that the lower floors sometimes lose hot water when the building is full...ugh. But, she did move us up to a higher floor. Everything was fine, so I thought.

In the middle of the night, each time the heating and a/c unit tripped on, it sounded like a helicopter taking off over my bed. Neither my son nor I could sleep through this. I had the raise the ambient temperature quite high to shut it off, and of course, it was also too hot to sleep. The next morning, I mentioned this to "Steve" at the front desk, and he said he would look in to it.

"Steve" came to our room, and he was shocked at the noise level from the a/c unit. He immediately put the wheels in motion to relocate us a second time, and helped move us to a different room on a different floor. When we got to our next room, I needed to put some medication in the refrigerator, and discovered the prior guest's leftover food still in the fridge. Uhhhh, disgusting. Steve was embarrassed, and he told us he was going to comp us a night, for the lack of hot water the night before, and put the general manager in touch with us because this was just not right. This was a comedy of errors, each step of the way.

The next day, I did speak with "Sean" the general manager. As I said above, great service. No doubt, Hampton Inn/Hilton does a fine job training their staff to attend to the guests' needs. "Sean" was appropriately apologetic, told me he was going to waive a second night's charge, as well as waive the parking fees for the entire visit. While the a/c unit in this third room was also a little noisy, I got the sense that the staff was truly embarrassed that such a new hotel would have these issues and went out of their way to try and make it up to us. While the physical plant in this building needs some kinks worked out, the staff, from the top-down is top-notch, and I appreciated their efforts to try and make things right.

As for the rest of the hotel, the free breakfast was nothing fancy...some basic food-service breakfast foods, plus fresh waffles that you serve yourself. To me, the most important component was the coffee, which was hot and strong enough to keep me going for the university tour.

Overall, I would stay here again, mostly due to location, but I would make sure ahead of time that the kinks were worked out. Given the staff's approach, I believe the issues are being worked on.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor to ensure hot water
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EjwEsq

Dear EjwEsq,

Thank you for the feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate all feedback. I was disapointed that we were average but understand that during your stay we had some mishaps. I appreciate you noticing our service and location as being great. I agree we do have a fantastic location, especially if you are visiting the Universtiy of Texas. While our service and location were great I do recall that we had some building issues that had an impact on your stay. I understand that we had water pressure / heat issues while you were here. We have the building contractors and engineers working on the issue and hope to have it fixed as soon as possible as this is a priortiy for the hotel. I believe part of the issue with the noise was from the circulation pump that is part of the challenge with the hot water. Again, we are working to get that corrected. The third issue with moving you to a new room was our service challenge. We have a policy that when we move a guest, that a manager checks the room. We checked the room but didn't look in the refrigerator. I know we were embarrased and I apolgoize for missing that on our check. We hope your son picks the University of Texas and you come and visit again. We would love the opprotunity to show you our "fixed" issues you had.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

... because it's so awesome that I want to keep it all to myself! This Hampton Inn is basically like a boutique hotel -- modern decor, plenty of amenities, comfy beds -- at a value price. Just an example of what you get for the oh-so-affordable rate: Free breakfast (the waffles are shaped like the state of Texas!), workout room (with pretty good/new equipment) and a roofdeck pool (it's small, but it's still a pool with nice loungey furniture -- good atmosphere).

We were in town for the marathon, and it was the perfect location: Walking distance to both the start and the finish.

Highly, highly recommend this property and would definitely stay here again.

Dear Unicorn,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. Thank you for stating that our hotel is "AWESOME". I agree and appreciate you letting us know that you enjoyed your experience with our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to describe our decor and compare us to a boutique hotel. We do have the best rooms in the city as well as a fantastic staff that wants to make sure all our guests are satisfied. We are a great hotel for the marathon and we opened our breakfast at 4:30am on race day. We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I am going to have a difficult time expressing just how satisfied I was by this hotel, but I will try anyway.

Beds - Beds were amazingly comfortable. Mattress was soft, sheets were as well. Just a flat out outstanding bed. My 4 friends with whom I stayed at this hotel all thought so as well.

Breakfast- I would have easily payed 15 dollars for this free breakfast. My friends and I probably used the word "robust" at least 5 times describing the spread they had out for breakfast. Waffles (in the shape of Texas), eggs, omelettes, breakfast meats, pastries, potatoes, coffee, juice, water, fruit. This hotel seriously over achieved in the breakfast department.

Price - This is really how the Hampton Inn and Suites earned a 5 star review from me. My friends and I booked this hotel thinking it would a little nicer than the bargain hotels like Motel 6. I shared a two bedroom room with 2 other people, and paid only 50 dollars a night. If you wanted to go 4 people to a two bedroom room, (which is easily doable, the beds are queens), you could easily do that and cut the price down even further.

Other things - TVs were nice flat screens that had HD. Hotel Staff was incredibly friendly, even after a few drunk, late-night phone calls to try (unsuccessfully) to get them to order us pizza.

I did not use the pool. Anything I did not mention in this review, I did not use. But based on what I did use, this was an incredible experience.

Conclusion - Highly recommended. Stayed here with a few friends while we partied in Austin for 2 nights. I would stay here every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Couldn't imagine a better hotel. Amazing Beds + Robust Breakfast Spread + affordable price = wonderful hotel experience.

2  Thank Matthew S
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Mathew S.

We are delighted to see that you and your friends enjoyed our hotel. Thank you for responding to tripadvisor! We agree that our upgraded bedding package is what all hotels should have. Our beautiful furniture and 11 foot ceilings make our rooms enormouse, compared to an average hotel room. We also have an amazing pool and fitness center with breathtaking views of the Capitol and Austin skyline.

Thank you for the knd words in regards to our breakfast. We do our best to provide our guest with a substanial breakfast each morning. I agree our Texas shaped waffles make the waffles taste better as well. Thank you for recognizeing our staff as incredibly friendly and I'm sorry we couldn't get that pizza to you after the bars closed.

We look forward to your next visit....as long as you behave jk :)

GM

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Mea culpa: I'm a Hilton Honors member and try to stay almost exclusively in Hilton brand hotels, of which Hampton is one. I find the quality of the Hampton brand, especially the new ones like this one, to be truly outstanding.

My family arrived in Austin for the marathon here and I chose this hotel due to the proximity to the start and finish lines. It's walking distance to the UT campus and the trendy strip of stores on Guadalupe and a very short 10 minute drive to the must visit South Congress area.

Our rooms were big with views. The bathrooms were modern and clean. Our bed sheets, linens, pillows and comforter were super comfortable.

The free breakfast is basic Hampton - no great shakes - but we were all amused by the waffle iron that makes waffles in the shape of Texas.

The staff could not have been more friendly and accommodating.

I would surely stay here again without hesitation. If I have to pick something to criticize, it's that it's not in the most happening of neighborhoods. Not a bad neighborhood, but nothing with cool trendy coffee shops nearby (unless you walk up to UT).

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear John Thomason,

Thank you for responding to tripadvisor, we appreciate your feedback. and agree that our location is fantastic for the marathon and for a visit to Austin. I was glad that you enjoyed your rooms with a view and your larger then average room. Thank you for noticing our bedding package as our owners installed an upgraded bedding package. I was delighted to see that our staff couldn't have been more friendly.

We love our location and our area is great. You can enjoy the entertainment district while not being part of it. Many of the hotels in the entertainment distrct have noise and disturbance challenges. We find that being 11 blocks from the "fun" is a good balance!.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just 4 blocks from the starting line and 10 blocks from the finish this hotel provided the perfect location to stay for the Livestrong Marathon. We arrived at 10 pm and the front desk was fully staffed with friendly and welcoming folks. I had emailed ahead and the promised extra blanket was in the closet. When I heard we'd have to pay $18 a night for parking I was afraid that it was going to be in a public lot but it was right at the hotel and very convenient tho pricey. We were happy to crawl into the most comfortable sheets I have ever encountered. When I inquired at the desk as to where we might buy some for ourselves I learned that they are made specially for the chain. Earlier reviews I had read indicated that someone had needed to pay for wi-fi but it is now provided at no charge. The breakfast was fully satisfying. I LOVED the bagel breakfast rounds. The only miss-steps we encountered was that our room (not being a suite) did not include a microwave so when my husband needed to eat his hot cereal at 4:30 a.m. he had to take his bowl down to the breakfast area to cook it, which was better than upgrading to a room with a microwave for an extra $20 per night. Also, I found the handle on the shower confusing. I twisted in around to where it pointed directly at hot but the temperature of the water was tepid enough that I showered with goosebumps and hurriedly washed my hair. My husband explained later that you had to twist the handle all the way around so that it pointed again to cold to get the really hot water. Lesson learned and I would most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the backside so it didn't have a great view but it was also sheltered from the s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear mdw50,

Thank you for takng the time to respond to tripadvisor. We were happy that the marathon starting and finish point is so close to the hotel. You can literally walk to both the start and back from the finish. I ran a marathon years ago and I wish the hotel I stayed at was close enough to walk back to after such an accomplishment. I know we started our breakfast at 4:30am and loaded it up wtih bananas, yogurt, cereal and bagels to help participants prepare for the big race.

Thank you for noticing the comfortable sheets. ******* I am not sure where someone stated that their is a cost for WiFi? We have never charged for wifi and apologze if this was thought to be true.

Our suites have microwaves and I apologize that you had a need for a microwave in the early morning. We do keep one in the breakfast area 24 hours.

In regards to the parking, we are priced right in the middle of our downtown hotel neighbors. Unfortunately, this is the cost of being downown and I agree and wish we didn't have to charge for parking. We do have metered parking surrounding the hotel and a $5.00 lot kitty corner to the hotel.

We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

In Austin for training and needed a room close to U of T for one night. Hotel was beautiful and the room was very large. The bedding was fabulous and beds so comfortable! Loved the tall ceilings and all the artsy decor. Staff were helpful and checkout was easy. We did not park a car; staff helped arrange for an early morning cab to the airport upon request. A short walk to the capitol bldg and walking distance to great restaurants like el mercado and the clay pit. Basked in the sun by the pool on the outdoor deck. Water pressure was a bit lower than I prefer but perhaps it was just my room. Overall great value and enjoyed the stay!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Idewit 7,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Tripadvisor. We appreciate your business and were delighted that chose our hotel due to its proximity to University of Texas. Thank you for noticing that our beds were comfrotable, our owner put in upgraded bedding and I appreciate that you noticed. Thank you for enjoying the room. I appreciate the positive comments about the hotel. Thank you for informing us of the minor water pressure issue. We are haivng that worked on and expect it to be remedied shortly.

I agree that our pool desk is excellent and is second to none in regards to catching some sun and views of the Austin skyline.

We look forward to your return visit!