“I want to stay here for the rest of my life”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #6 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I am going to have a difficult time expressing just how satisfied I was by this hotel, but I will try anyway.

Beds - Beds were amazingly comfortable. Mattress was soft, sheets were as well. Just a flat out outstanding bed. My 4 friends with whom I stayed at this hotel all thought so as well.

Breakfast- I would have easily payed 15 dollars for this free breakfast. My friends and I probably used the word "robust" at least 5 times describing the spread they had out for breakfast. Waffles (in the shape of Texas), eggs, omelettes, breakfast meats, pastries, potatoes, coffee, juice, water, fruit. This hotel seriously over achieved in the breakfast department.

Price - This is really how the Hampton Inn and Suites earned a 5 star review from me. My friends and I booked this hotel thinking it would a little nicer than the bargain hotels like Motel 6. I shared a two bedroom room with 2 other people, and paid only 50 dollars a night. If you wanted to go 4 people to a two bedroom room, (which is easily doable, the beds are queens), you could easily do that and cut the price down even further.

Other things - TVs were nice flat screens that had HD. Hotel Staff was incredibly friendly, even after a few drunk, late-night phone calls to try (unsuccessfully) to get them to order us pizza.

I did not use the pool. Anything I did not mention in this review, I did not use. But based on what I did use, this was an incredible experience.

Conclusion - Highly recommended. Stayed here with a few friends while we partied in Austin for 2 nights. I would stay here every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Couldn't imagine a better hotel. Amazing Beds + Robust Breakfast Spread + affordable price = wonderful hotel experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Matthew S
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Mathew S.

We are delighted to see that you and your friends enjoyed our hotel. Thank you for responding to tripadvisor! We agree that our upgraded bedding package is what all hotels should have. Our beautiful furniture and 11 foot ceilings make our rooms enormouse, compared to an average hotel room. We also have an amazing pool and fitness center with breathtaking views of the Capitol and Austin skyline.

Thank you for the knd words in regards to our breakfast. We do our best to provide our guest with a substanial breakfast each morning. I agree our Texas shaped waffles make the waffles taste better as well. Thank you for recognizeing our staff as incredibly friendly and I'm sorry we couldn't get that pizza to you after the bars closed.

We look forward to your next visit....as long as you behave jk :)

GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,412)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Mea culpa: I'm a Hilton Honors member and try to stay almost exclusively in Hilton brand hotels, of which Hampton is one. I find the quality of the Hampton brand, especially the new ones like this one, to be truly outstanding.

My family arrived in Austin for the marathon here and I chose this hotel due to the proximity to the start and finish lines. It's walking distance to the UT campus and the trendy strip of stores on Guadalupe and a very short 10 minute drive to the must visit South Congress area.

Our rooms were big with views. The bathrooms were modern and clean. Our bed sheets, linens, pillows and comforter were super comfortable.

The free breakfast is basic Hampton - no great shakes - but we were all amused by the waffle iron that makes waffles in the shape of Texas.

The staff could not have been more friendly and accommodating.

I would surely stay here again without hesitation. If I have to pick something to criticize, it's that it's not in the most happening of neighborhoods. Not a bad neighborhood, but nothing with cool trendy coffee shops nearby (unless you walk up to UT).

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear John Thomason,

Thank you for responding to tripadvisor, we appreciate your feedback. and agree that our location is fantastic for the marathon and for a visit to Austin. I was glad that you enjoyed your rooms with a view and your larger then average room. Thank you for noticing our bedding package as our owners installed an upgraded bedding package. I was delighted to see that our staff couldn't have been more friendly.

We love our location and our area is great. You can enjoy the entertainment district while not being part of it. Many of the hotels in the entertainment distrct have noise and disturbance challenges. We find that being 11 blocks from the "fun" is a good balance!.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just 4 blocks from the starting line and 10 blocks from the finish this hotel provided the perfect location to stay for the Livestrong Marathon. We arrived at 10 pm and the front desk was fully staffed with friendly and welcoming folks. I had emailed ahead and the promised extra blanket was in the closet. When I heard we'd have to pay $18 a night for parking I was afraid that it was going to be in a public lot but it was right at the hotel and very convenient tho pricey. We were happy to crawl into the most comfortable sheets I have ever encountered. When I inquired at the desk as to where we might buy some for ourselves I learned that they are made specially for the chain. Earlier reviews I had read indicated that someone had needed to pay for wi-fi but it is now provided at no charge. The breakfast was fully satisfying. I LOVED the bagel breakfast rounds. The only miss-steps we encountered was that our room (not being a suite) did not include a microwave so when my husband needed to eat his hot cereal at 4:30 a.m. he had to take his bowl down to the breakfast area to cook it, which was better than upgrading to a room with a microwave for an extra $20 per night. Also, I found the handle on the shower confusing. I twisted in around to where it pointed directly at hot but the temperature of the water was tepid enough that I showered with goosebumps and hurriedly washed my hair. My husband explained later that you had to twist the handle all the way around so that it pointed again to cold to get the really hot water. Lesson learned and I would most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the backside so it didn't have a great view but it was also sheltered from the s...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear mdw50,

Thank you for takng the time to respond to tripadvisor. We were happy that the marathon starting and finish point is so close to the hotel. You can literally walk to both the start and back from the finish. I ran a marathon years ago and I wish the hotel I stayed at was close enough to walk back to after such an accomplishment. I know we started our breakfast at 4:30am and loaded it up wtih bananas, yogurt, cereal and bagels to help participants prepare for the big race.

Thank you for noticing the comfortable sheets. ******* I am not sure where someone stated that their is a cost for WiFi? We have never charged for wifi and apologze if this was thought to be true.

Our suites have microwaves and I apologize that you had a need for a microwave in the early morning. We do keep one in the breakfast area 24 hours.

In regards to the parking, we are priced right in the middle of our downtown hotel neighbors. Unfortunately, this is the cost of being downown and I agree and wish we didn't have to charge for parking. We do have metered parking surrounding the hotel and a $5.00 lot kitty corner to the hotel.

We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

In Austin for training and needed a room close to U of T for one night. Hotel was beautiful and the room was very large. The bedding was fabulous and beds so comfortable! Loved the tall ceilings and all the artsy decor. Staff were helpful and checkout was easy. We did not park a car; staff helped arrange for an early morning cab to the airport upon request. A short walk to the capitol bldg and walking distance to great restaurants like el mercado and the clay pit. Basked in the sun by the pool on the outdoor deck. Water pressure was a bit lower than I prefer but perhaps it was just my room. Overall great value and enjoyed the stay!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Idewit 7,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Tripadvisor. We appreciate your business and were delighted that chose our hotel due to its proximity to University of Texas. Thank you for noticing that our beds were comfrotable, our owner put in upgraded bedding and I appreciate that you noticed. Thank you for enjoying the room. I appreciate the positive comments about the hotel. Thank you for informing us of the minor water pressure issue. We are haivng that worked on and expect it to be remedied shortly.

I agree that our pool desk is excellent and is second to none in regards to catching some sun and views of the Austin skyline.

We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We attended the recent TCEA conference in Austin and managed to get nice accommodations at the Hampton Inn the room sare exceptionally clean, they smell fresh and the staff is very friendly. Although there were no shuttle buses to the Convention Center, the drive is short and plenty of parking is available, for a small price.

The charge for parking seems rather unfair, but its the price of security I guess.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor facing the Capital. Beautiful sight in the evening, especially.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear abelardo77,

Thank you for responding to Tripadvisor. We appreciate the feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to recognize that our staff was very friendly and that the hotel was exceptionally clean. Our team works hard everyday to keep this hotel clean. We believe our staff is second to none in Austin and appreciate your kind words. In regards to the parking, as a new hotel, we matched the parking rates with other downtown hotels in the area. I agree that parking is high, however I have found that it is necessary for a downtown property.

We were glad that you enjoyed your visit with us!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great location, outstanding room, terrific service, comfortable bed, reasonable price. Add this one to a long list of excellent properties. Parking is a bit steep but typical for a downtown location where street parking is non-existent. New key system is a bit confusing but only because of new technology. . What else do you need?

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Lee W

Dear Lee W,

Thank you Lee W for summing up our property. Thank you for the kind words and appreciating all that our hotel has to offer. We agree that our location is top notch and that the room, service and bedding are second to none. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our family of four just completed a long weekend stay at this location. We arrived early on Friday and although our room was not quite ready, the staff was very friendly and found a room with our preferences after a brief delay. While waiting, we enjoyed the comfortable and interesting decor in the lobby.

We stayed in a 2nd floor room with a balcony (balcony was huge - 2 chairs and a small table there, but plenty more room than that!) facing LaVaca and El Mercado restaurant. The room was clean, large and quiet. The queen beds and linens were very comfortable. A ceiling fan in the room was a nice touch. Probably the best hotel stay I've had in quite some time.

Breakfast was nice both mornings. Plentiful (albeit standard) choices - enjoyed the fresh made Texas-shaped waffles, as well as breakfast potatoes and other hot offerings.

The fitness center on the 5th floor was larger than expected with nice ellipticals, stationary bikes, treadmills, and strength equipment. A laundry area and the pool were also on the same level. The pool is very small, but the area itself is outdoors and really nicely done - quite a surprise -be sure to take a look.

Parking was expensive - $19, but I knew in advance, so I didn't mind too much.

We loved the location of this hotel. We especially enjoyed taking an early AM walk to the State Capitol grounds - so peaceful and beautiful. It was an easy walk there and also very close (in the opposite direction) to the edge of UT campus and all the shopping & restaurants there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mel9H

Dear Mel9H,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor. Your feedback is fantastic and I appreciate the detail you took to describe our hotel. We appreciate your patience in regards to our housekeeping staff preparing your room. I as glad that found our staff friendly and enjoyed our unique, Austin decor throughout the hotel. I was glad to see the room exceeded your expectations and that our 2nd floor balcony was enjoyed by you and your family. Our ownership put a ton of energy and effort in making this hotel truly unique and different from other hotels in the area. I was delighted to see our breakfast was on point and that both days left you satisfied. I agree, our Texas shaped waffles are better then regulars...only because of the shape :). We look forward to the nicer weather so our guests can enjoy our pool area. It is definetly one of the best pool areas in Austin and top 2 for sure!

Our location near UT campus and the capitol is excellent and I was glad you were able to enjoy morning walks to start the day. We look forward to your next visit with us.