“Beautiful hotel with boutique feel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #6 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Victoria, Canada
“Beautiful hotel with boutique feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

In Austin for training and needed a room close to U of T for one night. Hotel was beautiful and the room was very large. The bedding was fabulous and beds so comfortable! Loved the tall ceilings and all the artsy decor. Staff were helpful and checkout was easy. We did not park a car; staff helped arrange for an early morning cab to the airport upon request. A short walk to the capitol bldg and walking distance to great restaurants like el mercado and the clay pit. Basked in the sun by the pool on the outdoor deck. Water pressure was a bit lower than I prefer but perhaps it was just my room. Overall great value and enjoyed the stay!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Idewit 7,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Tripadvisor. We appreciate your business and were delighted that chose our hotel due to its proximity to University of Texas. Thank you for noticing that our beds were comfrotable, our owner put in upgraded bedding and I appreciate that you noticed. Thank you for enjoying the room. I appreciate the positive comments about the hotel. Thank you for informing us of the minor water pressure issue. We are haivng that worked on and expect it to be remedied shortly.

I agree that our pool desk is excellent and is second to none in regards to catching some sun and views of the Austin skyline.

We look forward to your return visit!

Sean Fitzgerald

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We attended the recent TCEA conference in Austin and managed to get nice accommodations at the Hampton Inn the room sare exceptionally clean, they smell fresh and the staff is very friendly. Although there were no shuttle buses to the Convention Center, the drive is short and plenty of parking is available, for a small price.

The charge for parking seems rather unfair, but its the price of security I guess.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor facing the Capital. Beautiful sight in the evening, especially.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear abelardo77,

Thank you for responding to Tripadvisor. We appreciate the feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to recognize that our staff was very friendly and that the hotel was exceptionally clean. Our team works hard everyday to keep this hotel clean. We believe our staff is second to none in Austin and appreciate your kind words. In regards to the parking, as a new hotel, we matched the parking rates with other downtown hotels in the area. I agree that parking is high, however I have found that it is necessary for a downtown property.

We were glad that you enjoyed your visit with us!

Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Great location, outstanding room, terrific service, comfortable bed, reasonable price. Add this one to a long list of excellent properties. Parking is a bit steep but typical for a downtown location where street parking is non-existent. New key system is a bit confusing but only because of new technology. . What else do you need?

Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Lee W
Dear Lee W,

Thank you Lee W for summing up our property. Thank you for the kind words and appreciating all that our hotel has to offer. We agree that our location is top notch and that the room, service and bedding are second to none. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Longview, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our family of four just completed a long weekend stay at this location. We arrived early on Friday and although our room was not quite ready, the staff was very friendly and found a room with our preferences after a brief delay. While waiting, we enjoyed the comfortable and interesting decor in the lobby.

We stayed in a 2nd floor room with a balcony (balcony was huge - 2 chairs and a small table there, but plenty more room than that!) facing LaVaca and El Mercado restaurant. The room was clean, large and quiet. The queen beds and linens were very comfortable. A ceiling fan in the room was a nice touch. Probably the best hotel stay I've had in quite some time.

Breakfast was nice both mornings. Plentiful (albeit standard) choices - enjoyed the fresh made Texas-shaped waffles, as well as breakfast potatoes and other hot offerings.

The fitness center on the 5th floor was larger than expected with nice ellipticals, stationary bikes, treadmills, and strength equipment. A laundry area and the pool were also on the same level. The pool is very small, but the area itself is outdoors and really nicely done - quite a surprise -be sure to take a look.

Parking was expensive - $19, but I knew in advance, so I didn't mind too much.

We loved the location of this hotel. We especially enjoyed taking an early AM walk to the State Capitol grounds - so peaceful and beautiful. It was an easy walk there and also very close (in the opposite direction) to the edge of UT campus and all the shopping & restaurants there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mel9H
Dear Mel9H,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor. Your feedback is fantastic and I appreciate the detail you took to describe our hotel. We appreciate your patience in regards to our housekeeping staff preparing your room. I as glad that found our staff friendly and enjoyed our unique, Austin decor throughout the hotel. I was glad to see the room exceeded your expectations and that our 2nd floor balcony was enjoyed by you and your family. Our ownership put a ton of energy and effort in making this hotel truly unique and different from other hotels in the area. I was delighted to see our breakfast was on point and that both days left you satisfied. I agree, our Texas shaped waffles are better then regulars...only because of the shape :). We look forward to the nicer weather so our guests can enjoy our pool area. It is definetly one of the best pool areas in Austin and top 2 for sure!

Our location near UT campus and the capitol is excellent and I was glad you were able to enjoy morning walks to start the day. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Booked this room last minute to break up a long drive with my mom & 2 kids. What a good decision! The property is brand new (opened in Oct. 2012). We had a corner room on the second floor with a GIANT balcony facing Lavaca. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

There was a hefty charge for self-parking, but it was secure worth it. There is a much cheaper lot across the street and also lots of metered parking around the building. Plenty of choices!

Speaking of choices, the free breakfast was great! Texas shaped waffles, a hot buffet, fresh fruit and yogurt - something for everyone.

The entire space was really cool. Lots of Austin-themed photos throughout the rooms and hallways. Very convenient to the UT campus, Capitol complex and downtown entertainment and dining.

A word of advice, don't be tempted by the convenience of El Mercado across the street. There is MUCH better Tex-Mex close by. 3 out of 4 of us became ill after our meal. Even if it was a coincidence, the food wasn't very good.

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony - especially if the weather is nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank rhymeswithhen
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear rhymeswithhen,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor! I was delighted to see that you felt our staff was friendly and helpful. I was glad you appreciated one of our rooms with a "larger" balcony. While not all rooms have balconys, the additional cost is well worth it. Not many, if any have the balcony rooms we offer. I agree with the parking charge. As I have worked in other Downtown properties, the cost of being downtown has parking charges, as parking is a premium. We looked at all hotels in the downtown market and feel we are priced right in the middle to lower end for parking.

Thank you for enjoying our complimentary breakfast, we do our best to make it plentiful and put out items for everyone to enjoy.

I agree with your review on El Mercado, while they make great margaritas, the food is average. Next time check in with our front desk staff for recomendations.

We look forward to your next stay with us!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were actually only guests of the hotel for about 12 hours, but it worked out great. And, we were there long enough to make some general observations. We frequent Hampton Inn's because they seem to be quite consistent in their quality for the price. This location has a much more "boutique" feel to it with lobby art and unique rooms. At check-in they told me that they have 14 different room styles.

Our room on the 7th floor had a balcony with a view of the UT tower. The room was very large with high ceilings and huge windows. We checked in very late (midnight) but the correct room was held for us and we had no problems with check in. The parking garage was full so they told us to stay parked in the 15 minute loading area at no charge so I saved the parking fee. It pays to be late sometimes. The next morning we left for UT for my daughters tours. The breakfast before was above average and they kept up with everything well. The waffles were great.

This location is about $30 more than the location south of the river, but it is much better and definitely worth the difference. My daughter has decided to go to UT and both my wife and I agree that this is where we will stay when we come to visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elk34
Dear Elk34,

Thank you for your response on tripadvisor, we value feedback and appreciate the opportunity tyo get better! Thank you for appreciating our truly "boutique" hotel, as our owner is from Austin, Texas and has made many design decisions to show off Ausitn. All of our artwork is from or around Texas, our feature guitar/drum sculpture "killer licks" is from artist Jim LaPaso (local artist), our graffit wall is by local graffitti artist Tony Barrios. We appreciate you taking the time to notice all the artwork and detail that went into the design of the hotel.

I was delighted to see you appreciated our complimentary breakfast and the rooms. We are happy your daughter has decided to attend UT and hope you come back to visit us frequently.

GM
Bennington, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Location: Away from downtown, but right next to the UT campus in an area undergoing re-gentrification. Bus from the airport stops 6 blocks away, but it's an easy 6 blocks to walk, even with luggage and late in the evening. Beautiful view of the UT Tower and the Capitol.

Room: We had a great room high up, with a view down to the open air pool. Room was huge, with a desk, chair, bed, chest of drawers and tv on top of that, fridge inside the chest of drawers and a bench/luggage rack at the foot of the bed. Small closet, no room safe. Bed was very comfortable, crisp linens, choice of pillows, fluffy clean duvet and duvet cover, lights and night stands on both sides of the bed. Bathroom was large, with great shower and amenities. Wi-fi was very good in the room, and there were plenty of outlets.

This is a very new hotel and it has a few kinks it needs to work out. We tried to get someone to address the running toilet, the light out over the shower and the non-working nightlight a couple of times before anyone did anything about it. The elevator will only take you to a room for which your room card is coded, and someone got upset about that and trashed an elevator on one night of our stay, which meant we were stuck waiting for 1 elevator while on the top floor. (Luckily the stairs were close and going down is easy.) Housekeeping was rather lax - I moved the bench at the foot of the bed since I couldn't see at night and kept running into it (see nightlight, above) and found parts of Oreo cookies and facial tissue under the bench. Sink had a long, dark hair sticking out of the drain and the bed wasn't made either day other than my pulling the covers up.

Stephen at the front desk (or Steven? sorry about spelling) was very helpful as were most people. Emily just seemed tired of hearing about the running toilet and how the room wasn't being made up properly.

Food: Breakfast buffet was plentiful, of high quality and should satisfy all diets. The Texas-shaped waffle irons were worthy of the "weird" spirit of Austin.

Great hotel overall; just needs to get the kinks out and have a better system for logging maintenance than scribbling it down on whatever scrap paper is handy. Other hotels log maintenance issues into a computer; this location should look into following suit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PlainsWoman
Dear PlainsWoman,

Thank you for taking the time to review our new property. I wanted to thank you for your feedback as I looked over your reviews and I am proud that we scored a 4 on your tripadvisor. Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience at our hotel. Thank you for appreciating the larger then average room and all the Hampton amenities that follow. I agree and appreciate you taking the time to inform us of our kinks. We have a few things we are working on and will continue to get better. I apologize to our staff not responding in regards to the toilet running. We will re-educate our staff on the imporatance of delviering great service.

Thank you for bringing to our attention that our housekeeping was lax. We take great pride in representing a great product and I was disapointed to see that we did not leave you with a good room experience due to our housekeeping staff. We will improve. Thank you for recognizing that Steve was helpful and appreciate the positive comments about our staff. We look forward to improving for your next visit.