“unexpectedly nice in austin”

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #5 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We were in town for an overnight during the holidays. They had oversold the Queen rooms so Hampton upgraded 2 of our rooms to king suites with balconies that had views of the Capital and the UT campus. The hotel was clean, new, well appointed and very comfortable. We slept great and the bed was very comfortable. I wouild bring my family here again for the vlaue per dollar.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Arlene H
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Arlene H,

Thank you for the feedback in regards to your stay with us here at the Hampton Inn and Suites Austin @ The University/ Capitol. We are glad you appreciated the suite that you stayed in and loved our bedding package. I know we take great pride in the details of our hotel and offer and upgraded bedding package. We belive this seperates us from our competitiors and will bring back repeat customers. We agree that some of our rooms have the best views in the City and appreciate your feedback. We look forward to your return visit!

GM

Reviewed December 21, 2012

We were there for a college visit over Thanksgiving. I wanted to be in walking distance of the University and stadium to avoid the holiday traffic. This was prefect for us. The hotel was nice, clean, and very comfortable. The pool area was well kept and relaxing as well. The staff greeted us every time we entered and left the hotel. The breakfast area had enough choices we didn't consider going out for breakfast.The only downfall would be the limited parking so your choice was to feed the meters on the street or pay to park in the hotel parking garage. Paying to park in the garage was a surprise but we choose the garage due to security and convenience.

Room Tip: We stayed on the floor with the pool and exercise room. There were not many people visiting the pool...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank akelleyrdh
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Dear Akelleydh,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to tripadvisor and give us feedback on your stay with us. Our staff takes great pride in welcoming each guest and I was glad to read that they did so each time you entered the hotel. Thank you for the comments about the great location and "nice, clean and comfortable comments as well!. We agree that we have a great location where you can be in the vibrant entertainment district without having to be part of it. I agree with you in regards to the parkng charges, we are competitive with the local hotels in regards to the parking.
We loved having you stay with us and look forward to your next visit to Austin!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Hotel was clean, people were nice and friendly. As always, Hampton breakfast was very good and wifi throughout. I thought the parking fee was a little much considering you have no choice but to park in their lot.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Dear cpetrillo1,

I appreciate your feedback on tripadvisor and wanted to thank you for comments on our nice and friendly staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. In regards to the parking, I understand that downtown parking can be pricey and wanted to let you know that we are competitive with the hotels in this area and the downtown market. We would love to have you stay with us for your next Austin visit.

Sean Fitzgerlad

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I've stayed at plenty of Hampton Inns during my travels. I was hesitant about staying in this Hampton Inn because it was a refurbished hotel that use to go by a different name (and it was not that nice) and I didn't know anyone who had stayed here previously.

I don't usually stay in hotels near large university because they're usually geared for college students and don't usually offer very much in terms of amenities.

I was with a group of nine business travelers and we decided to give this hotel a try because it had been opened only six weeks. Boy, were we surprised, the location was great. It was less than 1/4 mile from the University of Texas with great places to eat nearby.

The staff was great upon check-in and very professional, they were actual adults, not your typical college student working a side job to help with expenses. The staff were great throughout our stay.

The hotel looked brand new and the rooms very very nice and pleasant.

This was probably the most modern Hampton Inn that I've seen. The rooms were very comfortable and very clean.
The air condition units are a little tricky to use.

The breakfast was excellent and FREE with a nice variety of items to pick from. Even our vegetarian travelers were happy.

The only two drawbacks about this hotel was the parking ($19 per day) fees and no free WiFi in this day and age that is hard to believe, especially for a new hotel.

The rate was like $130 a day, but when you add the parking fees, you're almost paying Embassy Suite prices, but overall it was a great deal. If you stay here, you'll not regret it.

1  Thank MarylandVacation
Sean F, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Dear MarlandVacation,

Thank you for giving us your feedback on tripadvisor. Thank you for the kind words in regards to our hotel staff and cleanliness and overall description of our hotel. I agree and appreciate you noticing our staff at the desk and in housekeeping. Our team takes pride in their work and it is nice to hear you noticed. Thank you for the feedback on the air conditioning units. We are working on putting some instructions in the rooms to help assist.

A couple of things in your comments that I wanted to address. First, we do have complimentary WIFI for all of our guests. Parking is $19.00 and is competitive for the downtown / university area.

We feel we have a great location as well and look forward to your next visit to Austin.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 2 days. The room was very clean, service excellent, and location top-notch. My extra twin bed was promptly delivered to my room at no extra charge. I didn't mind the parking fee because I got free wi-fi and breakfast. Just what the other reviewer said, ceilings are high which made the room bigger and spacious. Yes, this hotel is exceptional. Do NOT hesitate.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Dear Viajepasyal,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on tripadvisor. We appreceiate your comments about our excellent service and clean rooms. I know we work hard to make a differnce from our competititors with our service! I agree with your comments about our tall ceilings making the room feel larger, I would put our rooms experience up to any of the Downtown luxury hotels. Not to mention we do have a complimentary breakfast and wi fi. Our parking is competitive with hotels in the Downtown and surrounding markets. Again, thank you for the kind words and we look forward to having you stay with us in the future!!!

Regards,

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Front desk was courteous and helpful as we transferred reservations from another hotel ( across town ) in the same corporate family to this one mostly because we wanted to be close to Bass Hall. This is a good looking hotel in an ideal location for events on UT campus or downtown. That is what we paid for ! I believe we stayed the first week this hotel was open and it was obvious that some things were still being "finished" .

Our room was on the seventh floor ( maybe 708 ). We checked in early and I read while my husband napped. There was an awful screeching sound from time to time. I thought it was coming from construction on the roof top of a building across from us and forgot about it as we prepared to attend the concert. The elevators were the source of the loud shrieking sound and it was frightening riding down to the lobby later. I am not usually fearful of elevators, but this one lurched and screamed ......great Halloween promo. Maybe next year !

The room was very comfortable and clean. We liked the high ceilings, color scheme and recycling options , but never could get the room to cool properly. The thermostat had a blue plastic shield which made it glow like a very large night light and disturbed our sleep.
Sleep: Something we did not get at this hotel due to very loud elevator and bright thermostat light . Stumbled down to early cold breakfast-everything was cold and processed except for
hot oatmeal , fresh fruit and bad coffee. Went to Kerby Lane Café after asking Front Desk staff about odd shrieking of elevator. He denied any problem with elevators or hearing of any other complaints. Spoke with manger who asked if I had been one of the parties "stuck on the elevator " the previous day !
This is a very nice hotel. Pricey for a Hampton Inn. We got a below standard tired Hampton Inn breakfast but, beds are fabulous, rooms are clean and the staff are all very patient and courteous. The manager is kind and has a nice sense of humor. $20.00 for parking is a bargain in this part of Austin.
We will not stay there again, but are confident that the big problems ( elevator and thermostat issues ) we experienced have been addressed by now and others will rest more comfortably.

Room Tip: Choose a room as far from elevators as possible !
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear Kingarthursfriend,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor. Thank you for the kind words in regadrs to our staff and our location. We agree with you, we love that we are in the heart of downtown yet not in the entertainment district, yet steps away. Thank you for reporting the elevator noise, we have contacted our elevator company and they have repaired the noise. I am sorry for the elevator nosie you experienced. You also mentioned the blue light, we have contacted the thermostat company and have re programed the thermostats so thier is no more blue light in the rooms!!! I am disapointed that our breakfast did not exceed your expectations. We offer the standard Hampton Inn Breakfast and have added upgraded amentities. I personally, check the quality of the breakfast. We are open to suggestions and are continually working to improve our Hampton Inn breakfast. I know company wide, Hampton Inns are scheduled to launch a new breakfast menu later in the year. I hope we can exceed your expectations next time you visit Austin. Again, thank you for the feedback, your information has helped us correct the minor issues you experienced.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel staff were very professional and courteous. I was there on business for 2 nights. The ambiance of the hotel lobby is very artsy with the colorful graffiti wall, over-sized spinning violin, and Texas western paraphernalia. The King room was beautiful, clean and very spacious. The bathroom had granite counter tops and a huge stand up shower for two :-) The breakfast menu changed slightly from one day to the next with some standard items both days. Texas shaped waffles, seasoned potatoes, turkey links and pork sausage, eggs, oatmeal, cereal, muffins and fresh fruit. I especially appreciate the turkey links because I don't eat pork. I slept like a Princess with no disturbances. The only issue I had in the room with the toilet was taken care of immediately when I reported it. When I checked out, I noticed the hotel also provide "On The Good Breakfast" in brown bags for guests! Awwwh, how thoughtful.

1  Thank Jacqueline A

Dear Ms. Jacqueline A,

Thank you for staying with us and for the kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to fill out the tripadvisor review and appreciate the kind words about our staff and cleanliness of the hotel. Thank you for noticing the details of our "truly Austin" hotel with the local artwork and overall ambiance of the hotel. Our owner's put a lot of time and effort into the building to seperate us from the standard hotel stay. Thank you for noticing the breakfast menu items changing daily. We feed a number of people and I appreciate you noticing the extra effort we put into changing our menu. We look forward to your next stay with us!!!!

GM