New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol

Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol
Ranked #6 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Houston, Texas, United States
“Loved My Entire Stay Here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel staff were very professional and courteous. I was there on business for 2 nights. The ambiance of the hotel lobby is very artsy with the colorful graffiti wall, over-sized spinning violin, and Texas western paraphernalia. The King room was beautiful, clean and very spacious. The bathroom had granite counter tops and a huge stand up shower for two :-) The breakfast menu changed slightly from one day to the next with some standard items both days. Texas shaped waffles, seasoned potatoes, turkey links and pork sausage, eggs, oatmeal, cereal, muffins and fresh fruit. I especially appreciate the turkey links because I don't eat pork. I slept like a Princess with no disturbances. The only issue I had in the room with the toilet was taken care of immediately when I reported it. When I checked out, I noticed the hotel also provide "On The Good Breakfast" in brown bags for guests! Awwwh, how thoughtful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jacqueline A
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Ms. Jacqueline A,

Thank you for staying with us and for the kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to fill out the tripadvisor review and appreciate the kind words about our staff and cleanliness of the hotel. Thank you for noticing the details of our "truly Austin" hotel with the local artwork and overall ambiance of the hotel. Our owner's put a lot of time and effort into the building to seperate us from the standard hotel stay. Thank you for noticing the breakfast menu items changing daily. We feed a number of people and I appreciate you noticing the extra effort we put into changing our menu. We look forward to your next stay with us!!!!

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

I rarely submit reviews because usually everything to be said has been said before me but because of the newness of this hotel I want to help get the reviews going for them. This is a really beautiful, perfectly clean, funky hotel with exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. The high ceilings in the rooms are awesome and we had a wrap around balcony as well with a great view of the skyline and the pool (which looked great although were too busy to use it). Before the hotel was even open, I booked and prepaid for F1 weekend and although very pricey, was still a lot cheaper than anything else comparable downtown for that weekend and comparable to what we've paid in other cities for F1. It's a little out of the way if you want to be closer to the action but the Downtown loop bus for F1 worked out well for us. On the other hand, it was a great location for the race shuttles, just four blocks away. We really appreciated the breakfast selections which changed a bit every day and being able to eat quickly before heading out was a true time saver. Hailing a cab is a little tricky because it's not as busy in this area but when we asked the front desk the night before to set one up for the airport at 5:30 a.m. the driver was right on time. As well, when checking in, we asked about cabs and were given a number to call where they would use gps to make sure they had the right caller or something. Sounded great but, again, just never felt the need to use it. One thing I have not seen mentioned yet is there is a little 'store' next to reception with water, drinks, snacks, along with some souvenirs and sundries so that was really convenient. Enjoyed every moment of our stay at this hotel and our overall visit to Austin!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Jodes Y,

Thank you for your kind review, we appreciate your comments as we have only been open for one month. Our staff takes great pride in their hotel and we appreciate you taking to time to appreciate the details of the hotel that seperate us from our competitors. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future. Your review of our hotel is very detailed. We will continue to work hard and continually improve our hotel.

Plano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel had been open just a month when I stayed here and it blew me away. Tremendous location between the Capitol and the University. Staff was great and the art (including a wall of graffiti and a rotating musical instrument structure) was more in line with a much more expensive hotel.

The staff was wonderful even on the heels of what must have been a really busy Formula 1 weekend. I was lucky enough to get upgraded to a corner suite with floor to ceiling windows on two sides and an amazing view of the Capitol.

Parking, which is always at a premium in Austin, was very easy to deal with.

Would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Austin, especially if you're doing business at the Capitol.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Texas Vinny,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our new hotel. I was delighted to see that we " blew you away". Thank you for the kind words in regards to our great staff and I was happy that our location was to your liking. We are a truly unique hotel and I was glad that you noticed the Austin specific art work around the hotel and appreciated the local artist, Tony Barrios, graffitti wall in our breakfast area and the music sculpture by local artist Jim La Passo. Our parking rates are competitive with local hotels. We enjoyed our F1 weekend customers and I beleive they enjoyed our hotel. Thank you for the kind comments and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Brand new Hotel with extremely clean rooms. Beds were super comfy and the tv was brand new with many great stations. Very high ceilings.

Parking on-site costs 20 bucks but is worth it. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Der Ben K,

Thank you for your "fantastic" remarks in regards to your stay with us. We appreciate that you noticed many of the features of our New Hampton Inn & Suites Austin @ The University / Capitol. I especally appreciate that you found our rooms to be extremely clean! Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in their work and spend time making sure the rooms are as clean as they can be. I will pass on the kudos to our housekeeping staff. We have top of the line Serta Mattress's to ensure a great nights sleep. We love our new tv's as well and we are glad that you noticed the difference between us and other hotels in the area. We look forward to your next stay with us!

GM
Annie in Tahoe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights recently. First time in Austin. Location is great with lots of good restaurants and a great local coffee house all within a few blocks. Hotel is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and rooms are spacious with high ceilings and large windows. Staff was so friendly I thought some of them were other guests. Very helpful and would do whatever they could to accommodate your needs. I would return in a heartbeat to this location. Thanks to all the staff !!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sean F, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Austin at The University/Capitol, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Skyewiz,

Thank you for your taking the time to give us feedback on our brand new Hampton Inn & Suites @ The University! I appreciate the kind words in regards to our staff. Our staff takes pride in doing a great job and making sure our customers are 100% satisfied. I will pass on the kind words to our housekeeping staff and I am delighted that our rooms were CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Our housekeepers are often overlooked by our guests and I apprecieate you taking the time to applaud their efforts. I agree that our location is great and look forward to your return visit!

Regards,
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

First trip to Austin, so nothing to compare this to and not a lot of local knowledge to comment on things like location, etc. Hotel was very new, clean, room was very large. Breakfast in the morning was fine, pretty standard for Hamptons. Paid extra for parking. When we got back to hotel at 10:30PM all parking was taken, but the staff let us park in the last "check-in" parking spot. Not sure what people that got there later than us did for parking. The location seemed a little bit of a compromise. Not really downtown, a few blocks one direction to the capital, a few blocks the other direction to the Univ of Texas, but not much around the hotel itself. The price was significantly higher than what I usually pay for Hampton Inns. Perhaps it was in line with Austin in general, maybe it was the particular weekend, not sure. The place was full so price wasn't an issue in general. But after tax and parking, the bill was around $275 for one night which seemed a little high.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Andy C.,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond on Tripadvisor in regards to your recent stay with us. We are centrally located to the downtown Austin area, while we are 11 blocks from 6th street and the enertainment district, many of our guests appreciate that we do not have the late bar closing issues, noise issues, and overall party atmosphere issues that go along with hotels that are on 6th street. We enjoy that ur guests can enjoy the entertainment district without having to be part of it. Our pricing is competitive with other hotels in this market and we feel we offer a better value with a complimentary breakfast, complimentary internet and the quality of our larger rooms (high ceilings), not to mention our pool on the 5th floor, which has great views of the Austin skyline, Capitol and University of Texas. We look forward to having you stay with us on your future visits. I am confident that we have some of the best rooms in the city and our staff is second to none.

Regards,

Ft Worth,TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our family was in Austin for business at the State Capitol, so I chose this hotel because it is new and for its location. We booked 4 rooms and were very pleased with their cleanliness, large roomy size, high ceilings with ceiling fan, and awesome service. The staff went out of their way to be sure our rooms were close together and that we had everything we needed. The only thing I could not find was a lock box for my jewelry. The rooms are very clean and the decor is "artsy" and upbeat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Cecil2012,

I appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on our brand new hotel. We appreciate the kind words in regards to our cleanliness, staff, large rooms. While we do not have a lock box for jewelry in our rooms, we do offer safe deposit boxes at the front desk to store valuables, at not cost. We appreciate you noticing our decor as "Artsy" and upbeat as we feel our hotel is one of the only hotels that is truly an "Austin" experience. Our Graffitti spray paiinted wall in our breakfast area by local artist, Tony Barrios is turly unique. Also, our "killer licks" sculpture by local artists Jim La Passo is a reflection of our local community. We enjoy working to "keep Austin Weird" and appreciate all uniqueness in the city. We look forward to your next future stay with us!