“Nice Grounds, Great service, Thin Walls”
Review of Lone Star Court

Lone Star Court
Ranked #6 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Kansas City, MO
“Nice Grounds, Great service, Thin Walls”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Normally I try to stay as far away from a shopping mall as possible however this trip to Austin had me needing a room near the Domain. The location for me was perfect being half way between the places I needed to visit.

From the very beginning of my stay the place did not feel like a typical motel. The motel had more of the feel of a upscale retreat so don't let the outside fool you.

The grounds between the buildings has a nice swimming pool, some fire attractions and two nice fire pits. I spend a little time every night sitting around a fire pit having a few drinks.

The bar on site was a real treat. The service was very good and quite reasonably priced. There was a long happy hour with $2 Lone Star draws. All the food was quite good and also reasonably priced EXCEPT the meat and cheese place, it was a real disappointment.

The rooms are large and bright as was the bathroom. The bed was comfortable. The sheets and towels are high quality. The place was spotless.

The drawback of the room was the thin walls. I heard the neighbor snore all night and the next day I could easily hear him talk. He only stayed one night while I was there so my next two nights were peaceful.

When I need to stay in this area of Austin I definitely will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ajayhawkfan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I live in Austin and were curious about Lone Star Court. We took advantage of a package offered through Living Social to enjoy an overnight "staycation". We received complimentary drinks upon arrival and dined on some happy hour offerings at the "Water Trough" before we shopped and spent an evening wandering the Domain (great shopping here). The room was "fun" and outfitted to look like a room from a fifties motor court with a Texas feel. A "barn [bathroom] door, " a light that stemmed from faux antlers, a desk chair adorned with black and white rawhide, and a cool retro fridge were way too cute! The linens on the bed and bathrooms were luxurious, and we slept very well in the simple setting.

The Lone Star Court experience makes you feel like you are out in the Texas Hill Country within the well manicured courtyard, even though you are in the big city. There are several nooks and crannies where you can find a place to sit and enjoy the evening air and socialize with other folks if you desire. A really nice part of our evening was sitting outside and listening to the band around the fire pit. Also, the breakfast was ample with assorted hot and cold items, and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Lone Star Court brands itself as a four star hotel. One thing to fix - in our room, the emergency sprinkler nozzle stemming from the wall was unfinished around it (like the workmen forgot to seal the hole around it). Also, we went to breakfast at eight in the morning. In the outdoor common areas, there were still ashtrays and napkins strewn about from the evening before where the band played. A unique hotel experience at Lone Star Court. For some patrons, who wish to enjoy a quieter night life, this is not your place. We will return someday.

Room Tip: Building D, Third Floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AustinGal11
Marcus L, General Manager at Lone Star Court, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Awesome review and insights! I am happy to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel. I do apologize for the sitting area in the morning and will make sure that is tightened up as well as the fixture in the room. Glad to hear you will be coming back and we can't wait. Thank you again.
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

First time at this property. Appears to be a new facility located in a newer upscale shopping district.

Best way to describe my room was sterile -- concrete floor, minimalistic decor with a country barn (for real) motif. This is probably pretty keen for those that didn't grow up in Texas.

Bed was so soft it was lumpy, assortment of pillows were nice, and the large walk-in shower was enjoyable.

I guess this property would be okay for someone looking for something a little out of the ordinary, perhaps just not me.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Lifeontheroad
Thank you for the review. The hotel is a unique design and has a different feel to it. I do believe it captures the essence of Texas and Austin and invites people to enjoy the outdoor experience. We do have rooms with carpet on the second and third floors and we do have rooms with firmer beds as well. Thank you again.
Reviewed February 22, 2014

If you haven't been to the Lone Star Court in Austin you need to get there as quick as you can. We went to Austin last weekend for a short stay to see our daughter in the Austin half marathon. We checked in around 4 pm Saturday and as we walked through the courtyard to our room we noticed how many people were outside with a beer in their hand sitting in rocking chairs or gathered on the pavilion. It's incredible, the place actually feels like you're on a friend's private ranch in the hill country instead of a guest in a hotel in a huge city. It starts with the classic Texana look with slightly rusted metal railings, tin roof, aged barn wood siding, rocking chairs on the porch in front of each room, fire pits, open air pavilion and that's just the outside. When I went inside my room I found an old time decor reminiscent of a 1960s Texas motor court. There's a full size old fashioned appearing refrigerator full of cold Texas beer, as well as wine, and mini liquor etc. On top of the fridge they've even got styrofoam "go" cups with LSC logo like a cattle brand, to take a cocktail out on the porch. I decided to go with the crowd and had a Lone Star longneck out on my front porch in my rocking chair.
The bathrooms are huge with a sliding barn wood door revealing twin sinks with mason jars for glasses, a big glass enclosed shower and a separate claw foot tub for soaking after a hard days shopping in the Domain. The bedding was excellent and I would have slept like a log if we didn't have to get up early to watch the race. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to use the community dining area, but it looked cool with glass garage doors that can make it either enclosed or open air, a massive limestone fireplace and community picnic tables. We had to save a few experiences to look forward on our next trip. If you're looking for a generic sterile big box hotel this is not it. If you're looking for a place that reflects the character of Austin and it's heritage then this is the place for you.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Dbakeriv
I am very happy you enjoyed your stay! Sounds like you were in one of our suites and they are something to look forward to. Thank you again.
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The Lone Star is way bigger than the old motor courts it's modeled on, and waaay nicer. I loved the central courtyard, where a fragrant fire blazed every night, but women traveling alone may be wary of that open design, though there's a fence around the property and I'm assuming the Domain area is not a hotbed of crime.
Rooms are very nice, but be aware that at least some of them (i.e., mine) have only showers and no tub. Bring slippers or heavy socks, because in keeping with the retro feel, the floor in my room was bare concrete--probably nice and cool in the summer but a little chilly on a cold night.
With its patio/barbecue area, live music and proximity to the shopping, movies and restaurants of the Domain, Lone Star would be the perfect place for a mini-reunion, girls' weekend or just a fun getaway.
The staff was all very pleasant, especially at breakfast, which was excellent.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the great response. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. We do have carpeted rooms on the second and third floors and we do have rooms with bath tubs as well. We hope to see you again soon! Thanks again.
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I chose this property because of the rave reviews and was rather disappointed. It was nothing like what I expected. I was traveling for business and I highly discourage staying here if you have to be awake early. If you want to party, drink, etc, then this would be a good place for you, but it wasn't for me.

Pros:
1) This hotel is unique and doesn't feel like a chain at all. The furnishings are very nice and include a full size refrigerator stocked with various types of alcohol.

2) It's very clean and in good condition since the hotel is about a year old.

3) The free breakfast was good. Bacon, sausage, pastries, toast, pigs in a blanket.. But no eggs and not very gluten free friendly. The kitchen staff are also incredibly friendly and helpful!

4) It's actually inside a mall property so there are some restaurants and shops near by. There is a Dillards right next to the property and a Macys nearby, so we were able to get in some shopping.

Cons:
1) Very very loud at night. During my stay I was kept up until 4 in the morning by people outside my room. I called to complain at 2:30 in the morning the first day and nothing was done. The next day the same thing happened, but this time they were accompanied by a live band provided by the hotel. So yeah, this place likes it loud at night. Don't expect to sleep.

2) I would list the bar as a plus, but within two hours my traveling companion was feeling nauseous after eating the brisket tacos. We had to promptly return to the hotel and within an hour she was physically ill multiple times and off and on for the rest of the night.

3) The insulation between the rooms is very poor, like another guest has mentioned. For example, you can hear when your neighbors brush their teeth, use the blow dryer, have a conversation, etc.

4) During our second night here, hotel staff blocked off all but one entrance into the hotel. Like I previously mentioned the property is next to a mall and the entrance they left open was incredibly busy and if you're coming from the opposite direction you have to make a U-turn just to get into the parking lot. I understand that they are trying to protect the parking lot from mall guests, but this made it very difficult to get into the property.

Other minor things worth mentioning:
1) The shower is awesome and good for tall people.
2) The floor is not carpeted and is just cement with some rugs.
3) The fire pit and other fixtures outside can and do produce smoke in case you're allergic or sensitive.
4) The room is very well lit and actually has an overhead ceiling light unlike most hotel rooms.
5) The mini bar is incredibly expensive, but available.
6) The air conditioning unit is kind of hard to operate. I could never get it right where I wanted it.
7) About 30 minutes from downtown. Closer to an hour if traffic is bad. Around 20 minutes from Round Rock.
8) Coffee maker and fridge were in room, but no microwave.
9) I could never find the food truck and was told that the bar was the only food available on the property. The website and in-room information all talk about the food truck. I don't think it actually exists yet.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the fire pit and stage area. That will hopefully be quieter. D and E are righ...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank PsychGrad_12
Thank you for the review as it was very informative. There were some great positives and I thank you for those nice comments. I do apologize for the inconveniences that you incurred during your stay with the live music played in the bar. Music was played until 1 am and the doors were open to 11 pm but we have trimmed the live music in the bar to end at midnight and have the doors closed by 10 pm to better accommodate our guests. The bar is open until 2 am on Friday and Saturday nights only and closes at midnight during the rest of the week. The hotel is very quiet during the week. The breakfast does offer hard boiled eggs along with yogurt, sausage, bacon, whole fruit, cereals, kolaches, biscuits with gravy, and pastries. Thank you again for the review and for visiting.
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

I've done my share of traveling around the world and this is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at.

The location is pretty good, right in the middle of shopping square, the stuff is very friendly, the room was very clean and has unique interior design. There are a lot of places to relax by the fire, listen to live band while drinking draft beer. It's not in the downtown area, but it only took me 25 minutes to get to 6th street in traffic hours.

If I have to point something that makes it less perfect, that would be the sound isolation, it's very poor.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business