“Spin that "Thai"”
Review of Spin Modern Thai Cuisine - CLOSED

Spin Modern Thai Cuisine
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: SPIN Modern Thai is an Austin restaurant that offers a contemporary Thai fare by blending traditional Thai cooking methods with Japanese and Southeast Asian influences, creating a unique and memorable dining experience.
“Spin that "Thai"”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Dining Divas joined tonight for their first ever Austin adventure in eating at Spin Thai Modern. What a great start! After the warm greeting we were happy to order drinks. The cucumber sake was cool and refreshing and perfect for our 80 degree February day!

I started with the Sweet Corn Taro Tempura, a crispy delight with a lovely sweet chili vinagrette that was so good I resorted to eating the last crumbly bits with a spoon!
My Belly on Fire, pork belly with curry sauce, microgreens, sauteed onions and toasted chili , was true to it's name...my mouth felt the fire, hot but not too hot.( I would note that it was marked with two chillis on the menu and I probably wouldn't go for any dish that had more.) The onions were delectable, I savored one sliver with every bite of the crispy, tender pork belly. The richness of the dish was nicely balanced by the curry sauce and microgreens. Belly on Fire is on the "Full Plates" menu but it is so rich, I wish I could have had a smaller portion on their "Tasting Plate".

Our waitress explained the food would be served as it was ready and all dishes might not come out at the same time and asked if that was okay. We agreed and some of the dishes were served considerably after the rest of our party so that some were basically finished before the last plate was served. The restaurant filled while we ate so that getting the bill settled was a bit slow...but to be fair, we asked and received separate checks for all nine divas! The wait staff clearly knew the dishes and explained them as served. They seemed to take pride in the food, as well that should!

• Visited February 2013
Veronica V, Guest Relations Manager at Spin Modern Thai Cuisine, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thanks for coming in and we're very happy you enjoyed your experience. We apologize for the wait on your check. We hope you will come see us again.

Austin
“Wow - don't miss out! Go to Spin”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We loved Spin and enjoyed sitting at the bar and watching the kitchen while talking with the chef and other patrons. We even exchanged foods with other patrons. We loved EVERYTHING we ate. The presentation is incredible and the mix of flavors amazing. We went for dinner and look forward to returning for lunch soon so we try more traditional Thai street foods. The lunch and dinner menu are quite different.

Give Spin a try - you are really missing out if you don't!

• Visited January 2013
Thank you for coming in. We're happy you enjoyed everything. Come back and see us again.
Austin, Texas, United States
“Most Surprising Strip Mall Restaurant Ever!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Loved this place. The strip mall exterior hides a quiet, calm ambience within. Our server was friendly and able to answer the numerous questions we asked about the menu. This is not the typical Pad Thai and Noodle Soup kind of place.

The menu items were interesting and a little unusual. For example, there was an excellent salmon appetizer call Larb Sake, which was my favorite dish. The Peppercorn Pork was terrific, as was the Coconut Panna Cotta dessert. This is now my go-to place for Thai. My only regret is that they aren't open for lunch on Sunday.

Austin, Texas
“Very exciting and well worth the drive... and a return visit.”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Far north Austin, but worth the drive. It's in a strip center, and the interior and ambiance pretty much suits the locale. Nothing fancy, but no strikes there - I liked it. Nothing stuff here. They are serious about food.

Sake and wine list is compact but well thought out. Cudos for offering beverages that are on par with the food, and actually go with the food.

In keeping with several reviews already posted, the service was a distant second to the food. All of our food was already on the table and I literally had to stop the server (after asking for our wine twice), and ask her if there was a problem with the wine (suspecting it wasn't cold). She gave me that "deer in the headlights" look and said they were looking for it and/or it wasn't cold. I made it clear that it would be nice to know this before our food was served. I will request a different server next time, the rest of the staff seemed competent.

This being one of the highly rated/reviewed restaurants in Austin (by the local press), I feel the need to weigh in: in keeping with the Austin tradition, our food hit some peaks and some valleys. Inconsistency is the norm in Austin. The pumpkin tempura was outstanding, not sweet at all. The papaya salad was WAY too spicy (and I'm not from New England), it wiped out our palates. Overall the food is zesty and spicy so if you like beer it's a good choice. Tempura soft shell crab was delicious, grilled salmon was perfect, but home made sausage was chewy and crude. Did I mention the grilled salmon was perfect? Very hard to do at that high heat. Terrific dish.

In the end, this spot is very exciting and adventurous. I will definitely return, and I certainly recommend it. Most menu items looked great and I wanted to try them all. Great vibe with the chefs and the hostess was very sweet.

If Spin was on South Congress, it would be an hour and half wait every night.

Oh, and they took a reservation for two on a Saturday night. Yeah!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great New Food in North Austin”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Just a different place to eat in a sea of blandness that is the 183 /Anderson Mill area. Thank goodness for this and a few other places to eat that are here now. Love the popcorn Escolar and have not had a bad dish. Soup of the day always good but need to add Tom Yum with a spin. Good beer and wine selection but you can bring your own liquor.

• Visited December 2012