“Relaxed Atmosphere, Great Waiter, Good food & Drink.”

Tres Amigos Restaurant & Cantina
Ranked #1,085 of 3,992 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Spanish
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Ten people arrive for a night out, most in their 20's. Volume and laughter and a lot of fun, and no one seemed upset or disturbed. The waiter brought drinks quickly (good margeritas) and the food came quickly, he got the orders right, replacement drinks arrived seamlessly, chip and dip bowls were kept filled - a very smooth operation.
Food was good, portions generous without being extravagant, reviews from everyone were full of praise.
Patrons ranged from young to old, and the parking lot was filled when we arrived, full when we left, and the staff never seemed hassled. +

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Start with the fresh guacamole and warm chips. The food was pretty too! Then, go on to the Carne Guisada, which was the best ever. There was plenty of beef served in a small kettle type pot--very hot. The beef enchilada dinner was meaty and spicy. I was at the Tres Amigos on Austin Hwy 290 in Austin. I like SW art and decorations. Oh yeah! the beers are icy cold.
I did not like the sports playing on every TV. I have been there several times this summer.
In Austin, this is my go to place for Mexican dishes.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We ate here on a busy Saturday night because the "trendy" places were a very long wait for our family. At nearly 8:00 pm, the restaurant was fairly empty, but don't let this fool you. The food is excellent and a great value. It's timing is just more suited to local neighborhood families.

The restaurant is very kid firendly, with lots of options for them, including applesauce as a side. For the adults, an extensive margarita menu has something for everyone. The prices are reasonable for the drinks, too. Chips and salsa are above average, salsa has a kick but is still family-friendly, and all are refilled often.

I ordered the veggie enchiladas with black beans, white cilantro lime rice and a side of guacamole. All were very flavorful with a nice kick. It was a pleasant surprise for each element to stand out on its own and work together. The spinach and mushrooms in the enchildas were fresh, the verde sauce had a great tang to it and the tortillas are amazing. The kids enjoyed watching the staff make them and then really enjoyed eating them hot off the press!!

My husband ordered the carne guisada, which I tried later as leftovers. The meat was extremely tender and the tomato sauce rich and fragrant. With similar sides, you cannot go wrong with this dish. We also tried the stuffed jalapenos with cheese, which I found to be fried well and not too spicy, but my husband found not as tasty as the other items we ate (his sat for a bit).

Overall, a great value for a nice Tex-Mex dinner out for the family. We will be back when we next come to visit!

Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

this place is hard to get to but don't get discouraged, it is worth the trouble. The food is very good and the staff is great. We liked it so much we brought 20 members of our family to eat here after my son's baptism. Definitely will return.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

It had beea a while since we been to this resturant and we were very happy with the food and great service. Our waiter John was the best and made you very special while you are there. If you are wanting some really good mexican food this is the place to go and ask for John as your waiter.

Been to Tres Amigos Restaurant & Cantina? Share your experiences!