“Learned Something, But Not What Expected” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #79 of 314 things to do in Austin
Summit, New Jersey
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Learned Something, But Not What Expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

The Museum of the Weird was an interesting experience, but much, much smaller than I had expected. There's not all that much to it. the exhibits they do have are interesting- now I know how to shrink a head!- but not plentiful. The show at the end was not really my speed- I'm not into people mutilating themselves or hurting themselves- but some of the people I was with seemed to enjoy it, and the guys were funny. I would really only recommend it if people want a half-hour or so to fill some time. It's certainly much smaller and much lesser in general than their website led me to believe. Important note: it does not seem to be handicapped accessible. There are stairs that are difficult to navigate (stone, varying size.) I was on crutches at the time and would not recommend doing it again in that situation.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank KAB323

Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Really!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Ok, we were looking for something to do, it was a rainy day. Saw this and decided we would go. This place is a joke. I am not upset cause it was only $21 for us. But really, all the artifacts are stuffed animals, nothing is real, and it really is a 10 step walk through the mueseum. Then the "show", which was 10 min of a nail through the nose and a guy holding a battery cable. Really, don't go. It's really such a joke.

Visited January 2013
4 Thank Darryl0916
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“sucked!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I read all the reviews thinking i might actually be cool.... i love everything that was advertised. So my bf and i went, we walked in.... so far so good. we paid, and started walking through. about ten steps later........ITS OVER!! ........im thinking.......you cant be serious......i just paid 8 bucks a person......and its OVER!! little did i know we still had a side show to watch. at this point im thinking it just might turn around! so we get up stairs and saw the few lizards..... LAME, btw (but only because you couldn't really get a good look,, they were all in some sort of cubby hole). next we walk into a theater and watch a little show, which was just AWEFUL. i felt so bad... we bought a poster (which they said was a tip). either way......it all sucked... i was so disappointed...
wont ever go back....
so lame...
cant believe i paid 8 bucks a person....
and bought a lame poster....
AHHHHHHHH

Visited December 2012
5 Thank ALLYCAT15360
museumoftheweird, Owner at Museum of The Weird, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear girlfriend of anonymous reviewer with no prior history,

I find your review a bit confusing and contradictory. When you say the show was "AWEFUL," do you mean you were FULL OF AWE at the amazing feats of our sideshow performers? Or if you didn't feel that way, then why did you feel the need to reward the performers by buying a $10 poster from them?

As for the "cubby hole" we keep our rescued lizards in, I'm sorry, it was the middle of winter when you came and that's where we keep them to stay warm. The reason they are separated is so they don't attack and injure each other, as lizards can be very territorial. Normally during the warm Texas weather months they roam freely out in our courtyard, so I'm sorry you missed that part of the experience.
New York City
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Horror Film meets P.T. Barnum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

For the price you have to see the collection of weird stuff in a small dark hallway. They have tons of cool little knick knacks form freak shows, horror movies, taxidermy, and just creepy stuff. After we looked around we were taken through an old speakeasy passageway and were given a 'show' by a freak show performer who put nails in his nose and put his tongue in a mouse trap. It was great - just go and get creeped out a little and then laugh.

Visited October 2012
Chimacum, Washington
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Spooky and Fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Freaky, funky and kinda creepy. That was my impression. I went through so I could take pictures for my husband, who couldn't be there but loves that sort of thing. There were skeletons and mummies and freak show-like taxidermy, a two headed chicken, for instance. Lots of photo opportunities with mannequins and statues of vampire, wolfman and a really big King Kong. There was also a performer doing sideshow entertainment. And yes, he did hammer a big nail up into his nostril and I did pull it back out for him.

This is not my favorite type of entertainment, but the people really made it interesting and fun. If I was traveling with older kids, teens or young adults (or my husband) I definitely would take them to The Museum of the Weird on 6th Street.

Visited November 2012