“Good Chicken, man.”
Review of Salty Sow

Salty Sow
Reserve with OpenTable
Salty Sow is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 3,884 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Poquito St
Description: Salty Sow comes out of the gate offering exotic and staple cuts — all under $16 — in one of the best spaces in Austin
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Good atmosphere, Great cocktails, the best happy hour, appetizers that can serve as entrees. If I lived here I'd be here all the time.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

My wife and I were visiting our daughter in Austin over the weekend (8/15-8/17). A reservation was made at the Salty Sow for Saturday early evening at 5:30 p.m. for their happy hour. Unbelievable deviled eggs, brussel sprouts, honey glazed fried chicken and fantastic catfish tacos!
Amazing drinks and food for happy hour prices. Highly recommend. Service was great! Atmosphere was great!

Reviewed August 6, 2014

From the appetizers to the dessert, we were really pleased with this restaurant. Our family was just in Austin for the night. We wanted to try out one of Austin's restaurant and we went on Tripadvisor to check out what were the recommendations. We found this and the reviews were encouraging.

We were here for dinner and we called ahead to check for tables. You can actually walk in but the place was quite small so better to call ahead. The interior was dimly lit and had a really good cozy feel to it. On one side, they haas an open kitchen going on and you could see some of the dishes being prepared. We picked the table next to it since it is my husband's first time to see an open kitchen. We ordered some cocktails and I liked the drink I got. It was a spicy mix with jalapeño on the ice. For starters, we ordered prosciutto with melon, triple fried duck fat fries (unusually good specially the dip), and the crispy brussels sprout leaves. For mains, we ordered the bacon wrapped filet mignon and slow cooked beef shoulder. Both were so tender and yummy! For dessert, we had the banana foster and the creme brûlée. We were happy with all of our orders! Price was reasonable at about $50 for two. We were 4 adults and 1 child.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We came here on July 4, and had a great time. The drinks menu really is fantastic, with some absolutely wonderful cocktails. The food doesn't quite match up to these heights, but it was very good indeed. Service excellent, as is the atmosphere. I would certainly recommend it for a special occasion.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

As the population increases by an estimated 110 persons per day.
The east of Interstate 35 has historically been less developed, and more residential. In the late 1960's I was a fascinated and weekly visitor to the soul clubs stationed there.
Now: All construction, gentrification, and more and more restaurants....many in converted older residences and other types of businesses.
The Salty Sow is so constructed and they've done a good job on the building.
Last week at a business dinner, I got a broad sampling of the food.
Everything was average/good save the Pastrami Salmon......a very strange combination that was about as tasty as it sounds. The rest of the menu is slanted towards the heavy. The pate was average as was the charcuterie plate. The fries in duck fat topped with an "over easy" egg....heavy...not crispy. Bone marrow, pork and sauerkraut (not very good), but with generally excellent desserts. Overall, my impression is a southern road cafe aspiring to haute cuisine. Still, like almost every Austin restaurant, it was packed (and noisy). Look at the online menu and other reviews and perhaps you'll want to try it.

Been to Salty Sow? Share your experiences!