“Great place”
Review of Salty Sow

Salty Sow
Reserve with OpenTable
Salty Sow is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 3,869 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Poquito St
Description: Salty Sow comes out of the gate offering exotic and staple cuts — all under $16 — in one of the best spaces in Austin
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Ate there last weekend....menu options excellent and some unusual options. Had bone marrow app which was a first for me and didn't realize it would be primarily fat. Martini I ordered wasnt full compared to others I saw delivered to other tables. A miscommunication with our waiter ended with the manager apologizing for the mixup but still charged us $18 for veggies on a plate instead of the dairy based side listed. Overall, may try it again to give them another chance.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We ate here a couple of weeks ago with some friends and had a great evening - really good food and a warm atmosphere. The menu is quite different to other restaurants in town and offers some not so common cuts of meat. We had the triple cooked duck fat fries to start which were really good. I've had triple cooked fries in a 2 star michelin restaurant before and these weren't quite as good but not far off. We also shared the Salty Sow Charcuterie & Cheese Board which is a great starter for a group with some good variety. My wife then had the beef cheeks which had a really deep and rich taste - yummy yummy yummy!!! I had the candied pork belly which was also great, very tender and not too fatty, although i wasn't a huge fan of the collard greens. Both dishes were more suited to autumn / winter but that was perfect for us on a rare rainy evening in Austin. All that was washed down with a few blood orange margaritas :-) Will definitely be going back soon!!!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Nice atmosphere and great food. Fabulous cocktail menu, the blood orange margarita was really good, as was my friend's bourbon cocktail. Fries were fine, but actually the texture of the 110 minute egg was rather odd. I prefer a runny yolk. The filet was tender and the duck was outstanding. Chocolate dessert with fresh whipped cream was excellent! Easy parking, which was a plus.

1  Thank ATXBambi
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I guess you'd gather that by the name.

I'll admit that I'm a sucker for restaurants that are "off the menu" as it were, and the Salty Sow is certainly that. The best three-word description I can give is "upscale soul food", and it works for the Salty Sow. The building itself told me "This is NOT A CHAIN RESTAURANT". It has the recycled, used-to-be-something-else-now-it's-a-restaurant flavor that makes places like Austin, New Orleans, and Key West stand out in my mind. Good start. The appetizers looked fairly interesting, though we limited ourselves to the deviled eggs (okay, we limited ourselves to two orders of the deviled eggs). The entrees, as should be expected, are pork-dominated, though there are several that are non-pig. I had the candied pork belly, which is best described as a chunk of premium bacon, well-cooked but not overdone, in a candied sauce that neither over-powered the pork nor was so bland as to be forgotten. I'd describe is as a sweet yet sour reduction, perhaps tinged with a bit of vinegar. It was accompanied by collard greens done better than any I have ever prepared. How they left a certain degree of crispness in the greens without leaving them raw I have yet to figure out. We shared a side of crisped brussels sprouts leaves. Another mystery to me: How to recreate that at home?

I'm not one to hand out 5 Star ratings, and the Salty Sow doesn't get one from me just yet. The only significant mark-down I can give to the place (taking into account that it doesn't assume to be something it's not) was with a minor aspect of the service. Not that it was slow or forgetful. It was a bit . . . too casual. Our waiter first greeted us with something along the lines of "Whad up?" and addressed me several times as "dude". Okay, fine - I don't need to be called "sir" or any such nonsense. Heck, he could've called me by my first name. If he'd asked, I'd have told him. He was a perfectly fine waiter, but "dude" was a bit too much, just enough to make me think "Do I want this dude handling my food order, my credit card?

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I had the pork shoulder roast which was very tender and tasty (but not extraordinary- tasted like pork roast). Another person ordered the chili rubbed tuna which was excellent!!! The blood orange margarita's were also very good. As were the fries with béarnaise sauce (and I do not usually care for béarnaise sauce). Another person ordered beef cheeks and they loved them- which I would order these next time.