“Great Food, Cool Location”
Review of Olive & June

Olive & June
Reserve with OpenTable
Olive & June is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #306 of 3,871 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 35th Street
Description: olive and june is a new Italian restaurant by Chef Shawn Cirkiel of parkside & the backspace. Serving piccolo piatti, antipasti, daily homemade pastas, entrees grilled over Texas oak, contorni & Italian dolci.
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We gave Olive and June a try after a recommendation as well as a visit to their sister restaurant Parkside. The location is great and the building unique. The patios give the opportunity for outdoor drinks or dining, although it was too chilly for us to enjoy on this visit. We had a few drinks at the bar which was quite cozy and the bar tenders attentive. We dined upstairs not far from the bar area and the room was comfortable and decorated nice. Our server was attentive and all of the food was delicious. We especially enjoyed the Zucchini Involtini as well as the Gemelli and Braised Lamb. Our only complaint would be the noise. The room is extremely loud, loud enough to make conversation difficult - not impossible, but difficult.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

When you are ready for something different to celebrate a special occasion, this is a great choice. Were it not for TripAdvisor, I would have never thought to go here. It's almost like they are trying to hide it, to keep it a secret. First of all, you can't even read the red lettered sign from a car, and secondly, the restaurant is inside an two-story 1960's? era condo/office building. Once inside, or outside on the back patio, you start to get the feeling that the experience will be a good one. There were lots of couples and friends chatting over their meals, candles though out. The short menu has enough variety, and required some help from the staff to figure out exactly what some of the exotically worded items were. Like Jarred W mentioned, the food is in the very good range. What I appreciated was the selection, the ingredients, and the hand-made quality of pasta and other items. Dessert was good, although the torta was dry... the gelato was "wow!" The service was excellent. We will be back. The parking lot is small, and we just used the complementary valet (tipped).

Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

I have to say; I felt like I stepped out of Texas and into Seattle when I entered O + J. A very boxy modern interior has been humanized with wonderful shelf antique displays which really softens the ambience. You can sit in or out on the patio and there is little visual separation which also seems very West Coast. Downstairs is elegant and the kitchen behind a larger glass picture window. Now, the food- started with the down side, a Bloody Maria with way too much Worchester and not nearly enough tequila. But it was up from there- great homemade bread served with butter drizzled with olive oil. It is possible to eat expensively but I went with a pasta special (braised rib tortellini) which was presented well and tasted as good as it looked. My side veggie was kale cooked with lemon. This is not the tenderest vegetable under the best of circumstances but the chewiness worked and forced me to savor it longer. The deserts are huge. I just tasted a companions Panna Cotta and it is the die for. Service a tad slower than the number of people would account for but we had a party of 9. A great special occasion restaurant and I will return although I'll have wine!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Not "average," not "very good," but "good." Food tasty, though a little salty; service mediocre - our waitress was nice and attentive, but seemed spacey and forgot a few things; menu was interesting- there were a lot of items on it, and it was sometimes difficult to gauge whether it was an entre or starter or side (I mean, I know that's the way that Italian food works, but these different items were spread out all over the menu and I got confused). I really liked the atmosphere (it may have been the 3 glasses of wine), and I'll definitely go back and give it another try.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Very good food and enjoyable atmosphere. Enjoyed some unique and original entrees. Great outdoor seating under a majestic oak tree!