“Funky burger bar”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I ate here with another couple in July 2012. We were looking for an experience we couldn't get anywhere else and I believe this place delivered.

Texas has a ton of burger restaurants, but the addition of the beer pairings really puts this place to another level. You place your order at the back of the restaurant. The burgers are the main feature here and the meat is freshly ground. The buns are baked on site and are incredibly good. The hand-cut fries are definitely worth the carb-splurge. Finally, sodas are offered but they are not the usual Pepsi or Coke offerings. They offer milkshakes but I couldn't talk my husband into splitting one with me. You can also order drinks as well as beer.

We had to wait about five minutes for a table after we placed our order. The server got us settled and brought our adult drinks out quickly. Our burgers came out about ten minutes later and they were phenomenal - fresh tasting and very juicy. The fries were very good, with the right amount of doneness. We were very happy with our experience here.

The restaurant is located in a fun and funky neighborhood of south Austin and there is a parking garage where you can get your parking ticket validated with your meal and give you the option to explore the area.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Have been doing a personal "hamburger tour" in the Austin area and hopdoddy ("hop" for beer and "doddy" from the nickname for a Scottish cow) is coming in right near the top in my ratings. The margarita was one of the best I've had since I moved to Austin. The hamburger (llano polbano) and veggie burger were delicious and the chili fries were outstanding. On the advice of the waitress managing the line, we took seats at the bar and were served very quickly. Already planning to return and introduce other friends to this place!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I consider myself a burger carnoisseur and this is the first place I ever considered to be 10/10 in amazing service, delicious food and unique menu. Atmosphere is perfect and the location is easy to find.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Went here the first weekend of college football season. Packed out! Line out the door into the parking lot. But they have it down pat and came thru the line asking anyone if they wanted a table outside. We opted for it (shade and fans and misters). We got escorted to the front of the line and placed our order. We all got something different (bison, tuna, classic) and were all very good. The fries were perfectly cooked and seasoned. The service was very efficient and very friendly.

Nice beer selection as well and ordering more beverages was as simple as asking your server (didn't have to get back in line). Enjoyed our outside table (temp was in the upper 90s) and will visit this spot again the next time in town.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Lots of beer selection, as well as diverse menu with specials. We all ate something different. I had the lamb burger, rare, and a paddle of beers. The food is good and the atmosphere is fun. The place on SoCo used to be a wine bar. Staff is friendly and helpful with ordering. Basically when you walk in you get a menu, and head to a line by the bar, get a drink! Order, then they seat you.

Been to Hopdoddy? Share your experiences!