“Love this place!”

Lenoir
Ranked #143 of 3,971 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Great new restaurant. Lots of buzz from foodies. Locally sourced, creative food.
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I realize it is a tasting menu, but some dishes are bigger than others. This a great wait staff...ask them questions, they will tell you what each dish is like and help you decide. The food is fabulous, the folks who work there are really helpful....and good wine. If you go early, before 5:45.., you will get more personal service prior to the crowd. But overall, I will visit this place every time I am in Austin. I just love it.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

I recently had a very nice dinner here with my wife to celebrate our anniversary. I had heard good things and read good reviews, so my expectations were high, and they were definitely exceeded.

Lenoir is set in a converted old house, so seating is limited and mostly communal. I would describe the decor as shabby chic, but it creates a nice environment for a meal and it feels comfortable. Parking can be difficult, but there is a fair amount of street parking nearby though it may require a walk. All that being said, the reason you should try Lenoir is clearly the food.

Lenoir uses a lot of local produce and ingredients, and the menu changes weekly. They have 4 categories of dishes, and you get to choose any three dishes that you like. They have "Field", which is really salads and appetizers, "Sea" which is seafood, "Land" which is meat, and "Dream" which is dessert. The portion sizes aren't huge, but both my wife and I left feeling sated and satisfied.

The ingredients in many of the dishes are simple, and the flavor profiles are pretty simple, but the beauty of the dishes is how the multiple flavors come together. By themselves, the ingredients are perfectly prepared and tasty, but combined with the other flavors in the dishes they really shine. Some ingredients that I initially thought were a bit odd (whey sorbet, buttermilk mint ice cream, green tomato vinaigrette, etc.) were perfect complements to the other components of their dishes, which had me looking forward to my next bite and my next dish.

Austin is developing rapidly, and there are a lot of great chefs and restaurants popping up all over town. I would certainly include Lenoir in the upper tier of the many places I have dined in Austin, and I look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

Thanks to a lucky lead from a contact in Austin, we enjoyed a splendid 4-course Passover Seder-style dinner at Lenoir's on Easter Sunday (which happened to be our 1st night in Austin). We tasted reverence, tradition and innovation all at once in every bite of locally raised, lovingly prepared food served by our attentive and enthusiastic server. Thank you, Lenoir chef and staff!

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Recently got back from a visit to Austin. As a New Yorker with access to top restaurants- I've tried them all, private dining at Per Se, tasting menus at Boulud, I can tell you definitively that Lenoir ranks right up with the best dining experiences I've had. The success comes from the following equation Lenoir has nailed: a private dining feeling coupled with a beautiful environment, attentive & knowledgeable staff and balanced, fresh flavors in creative combinations.

Only having three days in Austin, I checked Open Table for a reservation and just by chance, a 5:45 was available. The price fixe is a brilliant way to customize your meal, I chose "field", "land" and "dream" options. The "field" arugula cavatelli was house made, peppery pasta offset by browned butter, nutty with a milder meyer lemon flavor and tiny chunks of goat cheese- rich, rich, rich! The escargot was like the bonus of the dish. My Honey Pork terrine was unbelievable, the fragrance alone indicates something savory is on the way! Honey & pork are meant to be together and the fish sauce added a unique umami flavor that completely complimented the flavors perfectly! I sampled some of my husbands dishes as well (had to) and I really enjoyed his Buttermilk rabbit- it was a very thai inspired dish with curry flavors and braised veggies. We finished our meals with rice pudding cake and cashew napoleon. The rice pudding cake was more a sticky jasmin rice consistency paired with a peanut sauce and cannelle of chocolate sorbet (yum), another sweet and savory dish. The cashew napoleon was also super good- subtly sweet filling, flakey, light pastry & "compressed" strawberries? Not sure what that process involves, but the result was an enhanced strawberry flavor offset by crunchy cashews.

Our server, I think his name was Clinton, was super pleasant, explained the nuances of each dish and chatted us up throughout dinner like an old friend, even offering some local entertainment suggestions for us during our stay in Austin. This is what fine dining is all about and Lenoir sets a high benchmark. Lovely, intimate and completely memorable. If I were a local, it would be my new favorite, if I go back to Austin, I will be a repeat patron for sure.

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant has limited seating. As a table wasn't available until 9.30, I asked about sitting at the bar and eating dinner. Their bar area is outside behind the restaurant. From 5-7pm, their Wine Garden food is available at half price. This review only relates to the food served behind the house. I had a salad, small entrée and dessert with a local beer for only $19. As I wasn't really hungry, this was more than sufficient. I think this was an excellent value, but I would like to return again for their $38 three-course prix-fixe offering.